xboxscene.org forums

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Windows XP On Xbox!  (Read 388 times)

TfAv1228

• Archived User
Windows XP On Xbox!
« on: August 24, 2004, 09:34:00 AM »

ive been using gentoox for about a week its really starting to piss me off i cant even get it to use my networked printer and its not updated u would have to have 1 emerge going for about a week come on shit

FireStormZX

• Archived User
Windows XP On Xbox!
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2004, 01:57:00 PM »

I like puppies.

tailspower2001

• Archived User
Windows XP On Xbox!
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2004, 06:04:00 PM »

I got Windows XP runing on my X-BOX with Bochs and some very hard to find add-ons. If you what to use Windows XP on your X-BOX, I would reamen you buy Windows 2000.

It will do everything that Windows XP can, exeput run Windows XP Games. That's the best you'll get out of X-BOX, without an lot of work.

total_ass

• Archived User
Windows XP On Xbox!
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2004, 09:24:00 AM »

what speed does it run at?

Scan-C

• Archived User
Windows XP On Xbox!
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2004, 08:45:00 AM »

there's no such thing as windows xp games. games designed for windows xp will work on 2000 as well. the only difference is that some games designed for win32 (win 9x,me) won't work on 2000.
as for running windows xp with bochs... it takes about 2 hours to install win 95 and it does run very slow. please tell me which add-ons enabled you to run windows xp on bochs...

stezo2k

• Archived User
Windows XP On Xbox!
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2004, 09:09:00 AM »

QUOTE (total_ass @ Aug 28 2004, 04:51 PM)
what speed does it run at?

it would be very very slow, i run windows 3.1 on bochs, and that runs slower than a Pentium 1 66MHz on 3.1

Killer79

• Archived User
Windows XP On Xbox!
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2004, 01:46:00 PM »

I want to install windows on the xbox, so I can use my GPS software and not have to have my laptop in the truck, plus I caould put all my MP3's and videos on the harddrive.  the xbox is going to be installe din the truck with a screen in the dash.  I plan on completely erasing the xbox software so I just want a windows computer that boots faster then my laptop.  I know linux can get to be booted in 40 seconds but if all I run on the windows is GPS software and medi player I should be able to get it to boot as fast.

theory.altered

• Archived User
Windows XP On Xbox!
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2005, 01:36:00 AM »

Its not that hard.  I am running XP on my xbox through Qemu through linux and if you take the time to turn off all the services which xbox doesn't need, strip down features by disabling them in the control panel and then editing them out of system ini's and deleting the files, then a few other boot process modifications to optimize it to run in a qemu environment, and it actually runs quite nicely, even with WMP 9.  There's already a tutorial up on how to get 98 running smoothely, just follow that and I reccomend Magellas Winboost to help your optimization process (http://www.winboost.com/)  Just make sure you run PC qemu to set it up first, installing and optimizing on xbox would be hell.  So set it up before you transfer.

<edit>
Windows XP can actually use ethernet too, given xdsl is set up for networking.

This post has been edited by theory.altered: Oct 16 2005, 08:37 AM

SweBaztard-SmartXX

• Archived User
Windows XP On Xbox!
« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2005, 11:36:00 AM »

QUOTE(theory.altered @ Oct 16 2005, 09:11 AM)
Its not that hard.  I am running XP on my xbox through Qemu through linux and if you take the time to turn off all the services which xbox doesn't need, strip down features by disabling them in the control panel and then editing them out of system ini's and deleting the files, then a few other boot process modifications to optimize it to run in a qemu environment, and it actually runs quite nicely, even with WMP 9.  There's already a tutorial up on how to get 98 running smoothely, just follow that and I reccomend Magellas Winboost to help your optimization process (http://www.winboost.com/)  Just make sure you run PC qemu to set it up first, installing and optimizing on xbox would be hell.  So set it up before you transfer.

<edit>
Windows XP can actually use ethernet too, given xdsl is set up for networking.

Ooooooookaaaayyy.

Helios

• Archived User
Windows XP On Xbox!
« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2005, 03:11:00 AM »

Hmm this is cool. I was impressed when I heard that win98 could run on the xbox but I would never use it... WinXP however is a different story... This could be VERY useful... Hmmm VERY useful for me and others. I can see alot of potential with this. Once the Xbox is cheaper near christmas I am going to try and buy a few and use it in my network so I have alot storage for my files and such because I can chew up 200+ so fast so 400GB harddrives in each Xbox and such will be handy. Anyway someone should write up a post of how to use Windows XP efficiently. Does anyone know if the ram upgrade will help it run better? And would it be able to run games like Half Life 2 nicely or what?

sick_mate_xbox

• Archived User
Windows XP On Xbox!
« Reply #10 on: November 02, 2005, 11:20:00 PM »

I am running XP on my xbox through Qemu through linux

do you have pictures? until then i dont think everyone will believe you..

crypysmoker

• Archived User
Windows XP On Xbox!
« Reply #11 on: November 04, 2005, 04:15:00 PM »

this is great. it starts out as a thread started by a kid who wanted attention. then it went to him saying he knows how to do all this stuff, then he says he has no idea.

and now u have all these new people who are saying that they have xp running on thier xbox

Listen,  If all these legit programers who constantlly write things for xbox could put xp on there  IT WOULD BE THERE AND A BUNCH OF PEOPLE WOULD HAVE IT.

now, why in the hell would you want windows any version running on your xbox?? dont u have a pc that runs it allready?? so your saying you want 2 of the same thing to do the same things even though an xbox has  a 2 device limit so no more hardware to add,    very hard ram upgrade, cause i msorry, but XP take a lillion years to boot on a pentium much less an xbox. doesnt matter the cpu speed.

I really dont understand why so many people rely on windows, that is what MS is trying to do anyway, create a monopoly and your playing into it.

As for the people who keep coming in here saying  I have it running on my xbox PUT SOME DAMN PICS UP.       i swear, everyone just automaticlly expects everyone to belive what they ar esaying....   and the fact that there a couple people here who just went and started a new account just to say they had it running..... DONT U HAVE A LIFE

shinomen

• Archived User
Windows XP On Xbox!
« Reply #12 on: December 08, 2003, 01:42:00 PM »

(IMG:http://pages.infinit.net/goriol/pedesktop.jpg)

Ok, I know I'm double posting, but I didn't think that people were drawn in by my last post about this.  

This is the windows xp environment with the explorer shell running on top of it.  Windows PE for those of you that don't know is a 32bit minimal windows operating system that normally boots off a cd and assists in the Pre-installation of windows XP.  

Well, one person came up with a way to make a Windows PE environment that you can run programs other than installing windows XP on.  Bart's site is at www.nu2.nu   From there another person, Sherpyra website, has found a way to run the XPE shell with the windows PE environment.  
I believe XPE stands for XP Embedded (yet another operating system that MS has come out with for things like Kiosks and other hardware that only require a stripped down version of windows XP).

So now that you have a little background, let me tell you that the picture your looking at above is in fact booting off a CD on a standard x86 PC. With only 64mb of ram and a 700mhz processor, and it runs pretty quick.  There is network support, support for standard 32 bit windows applications, ftp, etc........... pretty much, the sky is the limit.

I've seen that linux can be installed on the xbox (I hear it's relatively easy now) and it's been done by booting off a cd that initializes a linux kernel and it takes off from there (I'm sure it's little more complicated than that, but you get the point)

Theoretically, all someone has to do is make an xbe file that would initialize the WinPE kernel and from there it would take off and run the OS from the CD.  Even farther down the line maybe someone could make it so that the OS boots from the hard drive.

Unfortunately I don't have the knowledge to actually figure out how to build an XBE file let alone a boot loader for the XBOX.  So I throw this idea out to all you smart guys surfin around here that might like to give it a shot.

I'll help out in anyway I can.

Thanks

This post has been edited by shinomen: Dec 8 2003, 10:48 PM

daviefresh1775

• Archived User
Windows XP On Xbox!
« Reply #13 on: December 08, 2003, 02:05:00 PM »

how is it 700mhz and 64 megs if right there on the pic it says that its 1.5Ghz and 512 MB

Xeero

• Archived User
Windows XP On Xbox!
« Reply #14 on: December 08, 2003, 02:09:00 PM »

What a waste of a thread.  :lol:

I see NO indication that this is an Xbox.  However, I see specs that don't match the Xbox, a whole lot of icons of programs that have not been released/compiled for used with the Xbox, drives that don't exist on the Xbox, and file systems that are not used with the Xbox.

Brilliant deduction, poster.
Pages: [1] 2