xboxscene.org forums

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Windows XP On Xbox!  (Read 387 times)

shinomen

• Archived User
Windows XP On Xbox!
« Reply #15 on: December 08, 2003, 02:44:00 PM »

Alright I apologize for the mis-comments.  In this actuall picture it is being used on a pc system with higher specs than I had mentioned before.  Let me restate it this way:   I have personally used it on a 700mhz computer with 64 meg of ram.  As far as the drive letters listed on the background:  the B: drive is a ramdrive and the other drives are actually located on a hard disk on the computer that this picture was taken from.

Regardless, the idea is still the same.  This could be used on the xbox if someone can figure out a way to start loading it using a default.xbe file.

Like I said before, I don't  have the knowledge it takes to write an xbe file to do this.  

I'll tell you what though, if you show be a tutorial on programming an .xbe file I'll sure as hell give it a try.  

Thanks for the replies

daviefresh1775

• Archived User
Windows XP On Xbox!
« Reply #16 on: December 08, 2003, 07:16:00 PM »

oh so u showed a pic of windows xp that is completely irrelevant to xbox use to try to make your thread more believable???  people can kinda deduce that you would need the xbox executable written up for it to work, how do you think all the pc game ports work???  sorry you cant slip one by the mods ;)  

Xeero

• Archived User
Windows XP On Xbox!
« Reply #17 on: December 08, 2003, 07:30:00 PM »

Like davie said, PC games and Linux can be ported to run on Xbox because the devs have the source.  Tell me, how would they compile Windows for use on the Xbox without any source code?  That's an enormous roadblock.

Chicken Scratch Boy

• Archived User
Windows XP On Xbox!
« Reply #18 on: December 08, 2003, 08:09:00 PM »

flash it with a pc bios, maybe :lol:  

pholly

• Archived User
Windows XP On Xbox!
« Reply #19 on: December 08, 2003, 08:41:00 PM »

Wouldn't flashing it with a pc bios (if it's even possible) screw up your xbox, just curious <_<  

Large Dopant white

• Archived User
Windows XP On Xbox!
« Reply #20 on: December 08, 2003, 08:48:00 PM »

QUOTE (pholly @ Dec 9 2003, 06:05 AM)
Wouldn't flashing it with a pc bios (if it's even possible) screw up your xbox, just curious <_<

You can flash anything you want to an XBox modchip or its TSOP, like, say, that thumbnail of Jenna Jameson giving head. But your XBox won't work if it's not an XBox BIOS. :)
EDIT: The absolute minimum specs of XP, any variation of it (besides 64-bit, which I've never acquired and can't comment upon), is a Pentium 133 with 96MB of RAM. The XBox can't run XP even IF it got ported (which will not happen). Yes, I have tried PE, same results (it actually needs a little more RAM, it's minimum requirements hover between 96 to 128MB of RAM).

This post has been edited by Large Dopant white: Dec 9 2003, 04:52 AM

XboxBaboon

• Archived User
Windows XP On Xbox!
« Reply #21 on: December 09, 2003, 12:31:00 AM »

Hi I'm Bill Gates, to answer your questions. I helped the fella and upgraded his xbox and wrote the windows pe code myself to make it work. You must pay me for the source code.

snoopdoug1

• Archived User
Windows XP On Xbox!
« Reply #22 on: December 09, 2003, 03:56:00 AM »

what is the program generating those system specs on the desktop like that?  I want it :)

TB_88

• Archived User
Windows XP On Xbox!
« Reply #23 on: December 09, 2003, 06:14:00 AM »

Why do people want to run Xp when u got more light windows versions like win98 wich is hell alot faster....
Take a look at the xbox specs plz... And it maybe would be cool and all but it would be like runnign it on a PC and tv-out...

shinomen

• Archived User
Windows XP On Xbox!
« Reply #24 on: December 09, 2003, 08:40:00 AM »

@snoopdoug1

It's called BGinfo you can get it from Here

@Xeero

Like I said before I don't have the knowledge necessary to answer the question of how would it run if you don't have the source code.  I could be wrong about this but the way that I understand it, is that the xbox is no more than an x86 platform with some proprietary MS code running it.  

What some smart people have been able to do is make a cd with a customized default.xbe file (which I have read is nothing more than an .exe file) that allows the xbox to boot off the linux kernel.  

Now with that having been said, wouldn't it only make sense that someone could modify that default.xbe file to boot off of some other kernel.  Or maybe modify it so that it can run an El Torito boot sector and then proceed to run from the cd.

@Large Dopant white

As far as I know I haven't seen anything in writing that states minimum requirements for booting WINPE off a cd.  Since the original intention for this 32bit mini os was to just install windows xp on to a computer the only minimum requirements stated are windows xp minimum requirements.  I have personally booted the cd on an x86 platform computer running 64mb of ram and a 700mhz processor.

@TB_88

The whole reason for proposing to use this version of windows xp is because it is a slimmed down version of the standard windows xp.  This same concept is being utilized in the windows xp embedded version to run on various devices including internet kiosks, handhelp pcs, etc.

Alot of people like windows xp and it would be a familiar environment to them if it could work on the xbox.

@all

Again this is just all in theory.  It sounds like it could be practical and that is why I mentioned it here.  Sorry if I was misleading with the forum topic.  I know alot of people have not heard about this Windows PE environment and I just want to get the info out there to the right people that can make it work on the xbox.

snoopdoug1

• Archived User
Windows XP On Xbox!
« Reply #25 on: December 09, 2003, 09:16:00 AM »

Thanks man :)

shinomen

• Archived User
Windows XP On Xbox!
« Reply #26 on: December 09, 2003, 09:38:00 AM »

Here's something interesting that I was unable to find before, that explains why this might not be so practical.  http://www.cantech.net.au/plug/2002-10/msg00192.html

It still would be interesting to try and make a program that would work on xbox that could make it boot an El Torito cd and see what debug messages would come out of it.

This post has been edited by shinomen: Dec 9 2003, 05:48 PM
Pages: 1 [2]