xboxscene.org forums

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6

Author Topic: Over 21K have signed the 'Save HD-DVD petition'  (Read 683 times)

jaynigs

• Archived User
Over 21K have signed the 'Save HD-DVD petition'
« Reply #30 on: January 24, 2008, 05:29:00 AM »

Only 21k have signed? make an effort lol

And yeah i agree, a complete waste of time

PirateElf

• Archived User
« Reply #31 on: January 24, 2008, 06:41:00 AM »

It was a sad day for the consumer when Warner was payed off. Blu-ray may have "won" the war but that doesn't mean the consumer will like it.

But online petitions never go anywhere, but nice to see they are at least trying.

cerealkillajme

• Archived User
« Reply #32 on: January 24, 2008, 07:48:00 AM »

I doubt an online petition will do anything, but I signed it anyway   smile.gif  I'd rather see the more affordable and complete from day one format win.

It's already up to 23k now  biggrin.gif

BoNg420

• Archived User
« Reply #33 on: January 24, 2008, 07:50:00 AM »

QUOTE(troyBORG @ Jan 24 2008, 02:42 AM) View Post

I'll quote what i said on the petition!

Why make us pay like $600 for a Blu-Ray player and like $30 for the discs when we can get a HD-DVD player for like $150 and get the discs for the same price as normal DVDs with the awesome 1080p quality. Keep HD-DVD. Who cares about the won't scratch thing of Blu-Ray, just take better care of your discs people!

Hmm sounds like a dumb comment to me.  Maybe you dont keep up with times.  You can get a Bluray player now for $300-400 sometimes less if you can use coupons or sales, etc.    Also if you pay $150 for a HD DVD player, you are only gettting 1080i.  I believe all bluray players on the market now are 1080p.  So you are paying $150 for the cheapy HDDVD player when you can get a better one for about $250-$350.  So it would make them still about the same price.  

Also don't even start that shit with $30 a disc crap, HDDVD and Bluray discs are priced the same, you can get some cheap movies in either Bluray or HDDVD, but new releases for either format is $30-35.  The problem is there are people dumb enough to pay retail for a disc, when you can buy them from online retailers cheaper or get BOGO deals.

BoNg420

• Archived User
« Reply #34 on: January 24, 2008, 08:00:00 AM »

I own a Bluray(ps3) and HDDVD(360 addon) players.  I will say I own alot more movies in bluray then I do with HDDVD.  Bluray also seems to have a larger collection out.  I think my bluray collection is 3:1 compared to what I own in HDDVD.

Merkaba

• Archived User
« Reply #35 on: January 24, 2008, 08:36:00 AM »

im an audiophile, thats why i choose hd dvd.  and honestly the video quality is the same, although ive read comparison articles where bluray is usually darker, thats it.  isn't the menu system better in hd dvd as well?

cerealkillajme

• Archived User
« Reply #36 on: January 24, 2008, 08:43:00 AM »

QUOTE(BoNg420 @ Jan 24 2008, 10:26 AM) View Post

Hmm sounds like a dumb comment to me.  Maybe you dont keep up with times.  You can get a Bluray player now for $300-400 sometimes less if you can use coupons or sales, etc.    Also if you pay $150 for a HD DVD player, you are only gettting 1080i.  I believe all bluray players on the market now are 1080p.  So you are paying $150 for the cheapy HDDVD player when you can get a better one for about $250-$350.  So it would make them still about the same price.  

The cheapest HD-DVD player that outputs 1080p is the A30 @ $199 which is still cheaper than the cheapest blu-ray player. Also for those $250-350 blu-ray players, how many do PiP AND Internet Enabled features? None cause they don't have a single Internet Enabled SA player in the market today. And the cheapest player that does PiP will be the Funai @ only an estimated $300. When 2.0 (PiP AND internet enabled) players actually do hit the market it's estimated you won't be getting one for under $500 for a while.

The ONLY blu-ray player on the market ATM that can do it all (and can't until they release the 2.0 update for it) is the PS3 @ $400. And anybody that wants a 2.0 player can either go out and buy the PS3 or sit around and wait till Spring/Summer when they hit the market. Pretty much leaves people that don't want a game system to be their movie player screwed (unless they don't care about 1.1 or 2.0 features).

Elemino

• Archived User
« Reply #37 on: January 24, 2008, 09:04:00 AM »

QUOTE(cerealkillajme @ Jan 24 2008, 10:19 AM) View Post
The ONLY blu-ray player on the market ATM that can do it all (and can't until they release the 2.0 update for it) is the PS3 @ $400.
Actually you're technically wrong here... The PS3 doesn't even support all of the advanced audio profiles, so you can't even say that it supports all of the features of HD DVD.

englishnamja

• Archived User
« Reply #38 on: January 24, 2008, 09:08:00 AM »

i dont really buy into all this SAVE some product which is ripping us off anyway for not building it into the xbox 360 anyway... secondly.. why not make HD DVD propriaty disk for the xbox360,... you think companies stopped producing music on the CD when MD was found to be better portablity etc.. make HD-DVD xbox'es propriatry system, cutting back on copy theift, increasing disk capacity, and the ablity to play HD DVD movies...

if im talking sh*t or dont know what im talking about.. then fair enough flame me.. but nobody in this forum really knows the way this solution is going to be solved.. i know for a fact if im a movie addict i wouldnt be watching them on a xbox 360 anyway.. we all know for a fact HD DVD, BLUERAY etc is going to use alot of resources running thru a USB 2.0 I cant imagine the  processor fan usage.. constant whisling from the fans i imagine..if your really into movies get a dedicated player.. if your into xbox 360 and wanting longer life from your xbox360 vote they building HD DVD into the machine or make it the dedicated format for future xbox360 titles....
(WITH) the ablity to watch HD DVD movies....

my 2 piles of Sh*T opinion...

Reaper527

• Archived User
« Reply #39 on: January 24, 2008, 09:34:00 AM »

Your signature number for this petition is 23833.

and to those who question why anyone would want hd-dvd over bluray, they are pretty equal from a quality standpoint, but

hd-dvd is region free
sony backed formats will always be overpriced

tutu

• Archived User
« Reply #40 on: January 24, 2008, 09:39:00 AM »

QUOTE(gronned @ Jan 24 2008, 07:55 AM) View Post

The answer is that HD-DVD is much cheaper, and it's backwards compatible with DVD.

The players are cheaper yes, but it's not backwards compatible with DVD! I own several HD-DVDs and Blu-ray films. I wish one format would die otherwise the market will never take off for HD films. I brought a dual format drive for my PC a couple of weeks ago.

Microsoft isn't helping either side - they just want everybody to download films from live. (I prefer to own the disk).

Competition is good for the market as it drives down prices. But, eventually one must go. I would like to replace every DVD I own but I'm not doing that until one format wins.

Still, the 360 does a very good job upscaling DVDs (IMO).

HotKnife420

• Archived User
« Reply #41 on: January 24, 2008, 09:39:00 AM »

QUOTE(englishnamja @ Jan 24 2008, 05:44 PM) View Post

secondly.. why not make HD DVD propriaty disk for the xbox360,... you think companies stopped producing music on the CD when MD was found to be better portablity etc.. make HD-DVD xbox'es propriatry system, cutting back on copy theift, increasing disk capacity, and the ablity to play HD DVD movies...

Then you have 20 million pepole who can no longer play new games.

The Juggler

• Archived User
« Reply #42 on: January 24, 2008, 10:00:00 AM »

QUOTE(HotKnife420 @ Jan 24 2008, 06:15 PM) View Post

Then you have 20 million pepole who can no longer play new games.

Umm... You're off by about 10 million people.

Elemino

• Archived User
« Reply #43 on: January 24, 2008, 10:17:00 AM »

QUOTE(englishnamja @ Jan 24 2008, 10:44 AM) View Post
we all know for a fact HD DVD, BLUERAY etc is going to use alot of resources running thru a USB 2.0
USB 2.0 Transfers 480Mbps or 60MB/s. HD DVD transfers roughly 28MB/s. USB 2.0 is more than enough to transfer the data. The decompression by the 360 is much less strain than the graphics processing of any video game.

QUOTE(tutu @ Jan 24 2008, 11:15 AM) View Post

The players are cheaper yes, but it's not backwards compatible with DVD!
He was talking about the combo format discs... whether he knew it or not, I don't know. lol But some movies are combo format discs, HD DVD on one side and standard DVD on the other. Bluray doesn't have that. That's one thing I will really miss about HD DVD if it goes away.

davinator456

• Archived User
« Reply #44 on: January 24, 2008, 10:35:00 AM »

yeah, with names link 'peter pan' and 'dub dublin' I am sure that it will be taken seriously...  happy.gif
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6