xboxscene.org forums

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6

Author Topic: Over 21K have signed the 'Save HD-DVD petition'  (Read 691 times)

Xbox-Scene

• Archived User
Over 21K have signed the 'Save HD-DVD petition'
« on: January 23, 2008, 11:13:00 PM »

Posted by XanTium | January 24 00:37 EST | News Category: Xbox360

Online petitions are usually pretty useless, certainly for these type of things that are mostly decided by big multi-nationals and not by the consumer. But it's still interesting to see if the HD DVD format is really 'people's choice':

So please, sign this petition, and lets get as many votes as we can so we can hopefully change Warner's mind to return to being format neutral, or go HD-DVD exclusive. This would also show the remaining HD-DVD exclusive studios, Universal & Paramount, that HD-DVD still has supporters, thus they shouldn't switch to Blu-Ray. We have a chance to save a superior format from collapsing under the weight of the greedy Sony corporation and its inferior Blu-Ray format, let's do it!

Sign Petition/More Info: petitiononline.com

trey85stang

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2008, 12:01:00 AM »

someone should make a bluray petition to get paramount and universal to switch.  It would make things a lot quicker.

metalgear1

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2008, 12:06:00 AM »

UMMM
I h8 to be the one to say it but does anyone really truly CARE???
I just wish ONE of them would go away already
remember VHS vs BETAMAX ?????
it was only AFTER VHS won the war that we had good CONSTANT video, and thid just forces people into buying ONE format or another and therefore the need for TWO HD players.
If I want to watch my MATRIX collection I need my HD=DVD player but If I feel the need to watch my DIE hard collection I need my blu-ray player

IT'S RETARDED
I just wish ONE would GO AWAY any one I don't care, and I'm sure MOSY people don't care either.
Anyways thats all I have to say.I'll go back to lurking now.

gAm3 Fr3aQu3

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2008, 12:11:00 AM »

Blu-Ray is inferior?
Who ever made that petition has jokes...

joes240nismo

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2008, 11:38:00 PM »

QUOTE(trey85stang @ Jan 24 2008, 01:01 AM) View Post

someone should make a bluray petition to get paramount and universal to switch.  It would make things a lot quicker.

yup, agreed... seriously, how is the 50gb format the "inferior" one... mind you i own a 360, when i can, i try not to give in to MS dominating a market, like running linux on boxes i use less, and id MUCH rather watch a bluray, mainly because 5 years from now, id much rather be burning 50gb BD-RE's instead of 30gb HD-DVD's... (50gb triple layer HD-DVD are a joke, and not backwards compatible with exsisting players, mind you no triple layer HD-DVD's exsist yet) id rather support sony than MS, just cause i own a 360 doesnt make me a "fanboy", im gonna support the better technology, i bought a 360 cause of the game library, not cause i love MS... this article is lame, and the petition will go nowhere.

s2h

• Archived User
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2008, 12:18:00 AM »

Last week 93% of all HD players purchased were Blu-ray.  Let's get over it and concentrate on games.  If its any consolation, MS wants d/l to rule and none of the formats to succeed.

maxpower2001

• Archived User
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2008, 12:25:00 AM »

OMG a petition... these guys are plain retarded.  They really want the war to drag on even longer??  Can we not just let 1 format win this thing already?

xtriker

• Archived User
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2008, 12:28:00 AM »

I just signed the petition because I hate the way Sony force blue-ray in to the market. I have a HDTV; I will buy neither of the players.

joes240nismo

• Archived User
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2008, 12:04:00 AM »

QUOTE(xtriker @ Jan 24 2008, 01:28 AM) View Post

I just signed the petition because I hate the way Sony force blue-ray in to the market.

how is that? cause they want to use java instead of gay HDi by MS? not that HDi is bad, but why should EITHER one monopolize? they shouldnt, and since technically BD is better, ill just keep hoping more studios switch to BD.

Luke

• Archived User
« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2008, 12:40:00 AM »

Probably be more effective if every one of those 21k users went out and bought 5-10 hd-dvd's..
eitherway, I'm in the bluray camp...

troyBORG

• Archived User
« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2008, 12:42:00 AM »

I'll quote what i said on the petition!

Why make us pay like $600 for a Blu-Ray player and like $30 for the discs when we can get a HD-DVD player for like $150 and get the discs for the same price as normal DVDs with the awesome 1080p quality. Keep HD-DVD. Who cares about the won't scratch thing of Blu-Ray, just take better care of your discs people!

ThaCrip

• Archived User
« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2008, 12:11:00 AM »

i signed the petition to... cause the HD-DVD is just cheaper than the blu-ray thats one of the big reasons it's better plus i read it's had the same standard since it was made unlike blu-ray which i heard changed it's specs etc.

but at this point there probably aint much anyone can do since it seems like blu-ray is going to win unless something drastic happens sad.gif as i read a article not long ago to where it was like 85/15 (market share) in favor of blu-ray sad.gif

p.s. another reason i want hd-dvd to win is cause sony is a shady company that put rootkits on peoples pc's a while back etc.

QuiescentWonder

• Archived User
« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2008, 12:52:00 AM »

I own an HD-DVD player, along with an Xbox and Xbox 360. I do not own a Blu-Ray player or PS3... or even a PS2 but I've been on the Blu-Ray side the entire time. The super-cheap prices of HD-DVD compared to Blu-Ray had me convinced that they were the clear winner, obviously I hadn't been doing enough research.  (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

"And if extra space is needed, use another disc, big deal."
I know I would love to get up half way through my movie and change discs... not to mention the extra price carried on to the consumers when LOTR and 2001 come out on HD-DVD...

Dave stop. Stop, will you? Stop, Dave. Will you stop, Dave? Stop, Dave. I'm afraid. I'm afraid, Dave. Dave, my disc is ending. I can feel it. I can feel it. My disc is ending, there is no question about it. I can feel it. I can feel it. I can feel it. I'm a-fraid.

I hope HD-DVD goes away now, I want ONE FORMAT NOW. I completely agree with trey85stang, just get this crap over with and move everyone over to Blu-Ray.

joes240nismo

• Archived User
« Reply #13 on: January 24, 2008, 12:18:00 AM »

QUOTE(ThaCrip @ Jan 24 2008, 01:47 AM) View Post

i signed the petition to... cause the HD-DVD is just cheaper than the blu-ray thats one of the big reasons it's better plus i read it's had the same standard since it was made unlike blu-ray which i heard changed it's specs etc.

but at this point there probably aint much anyone can do since it seems like blu-ray is going to win unless something drastic happens sad.gif as i read a article not long ago to where it was like 85/15 (market share) in favor of blu-ray sad.gif

p.s. another reason i want hd-dvd to win is cause sony is a shady company that put rootkits on peoples pc's a while back etc.

well, truth of the matter is, yes HD is cheaper, as mentioned though, people wont go out and buy a HD player in fear of the format changing, but by buying a PS3 people already have a BD player... and btw, BD players are ~$350 now, granted HD players are cheaper... the discs really arent.

gronned

• Archived User
« Reply #14 on: January 24, 2008, 12:55:00 AM »

As this is about monopolizing I wouldn't want either MS or Sony to do it, but one of them will(with the others involved of course). However, I always want technology to progress as well as possibly, and frankly Blu-Ray is a major bottleneck in that area. Sure you get 20GB more on Blu-Ray, but honestly if I burn a disc I really doubt I need that much for every disc. Will games really require more than 30 GB? Will films ever require more than 30GB? Hardly.

The answer is that HD-DVD is much cheaper, and it's backwards compatible with DVD. VHS was the cheaper alternative and it won and became a success. If Blu-Ray win, the sales won't ever be as high as they could've been with HD-DVD, therefore rendering it a bottleneck in the technological evolution. I wish people could realize that as it's more at stakes than just the format.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6