xboxscene.org forums

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6

Author Topic: Over 21K have signed the 'Save HD-DVD petition'  (Read 694 times)

Devil-Man

• Archived User
Over 21K have signed the 'Save HD-DVD petition'
« Reply #60 on: January 24, 2008, 05:06:00 PM »

Many you Sony haters should back off. I by no means am a Sony fan boy, and I think BR should win, (bigger capacity will = nicer quality any day of the week). That aside, you all do realise that just because Sony is a major 'pusher' behind BR it has nothing to do with BR itself right? Just as MS doesn't have dick to do with HD-DVD. It's just the technologies they're behind and members of their respective consortiums (sp?).  Or is MS even a member of the HD-DVD camp? Not sure, but Sony is in the BR camp, but by no means the gears behind the wheel so to speak.

Aeneidos

• Archived User
« Reply #61 on: January 24, 2008, 06:16:00 PM »

OH WAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!! BLU-RAY IS BETTER CAUSE IT HAS A BIGGER DISK CAPACITY!!!!!!!!!!!!!! WAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHH!!!!!!! THAT IS WHY ITS BETTER THAN HD-DVD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! WAAAAAAAHHHHHH!!!!!!!

does anyone else have anything better to say about blu-ray than "it has a bigger disk capacity." thats all i have been reading here from those who are backing blu-ray i can tell you disk capacity isnt everything when it comes to picture quality. and besides you know what they are gonna do with that extra space *drum roll please* fill it with a bunch of useless extras and behinds the scenes crap that you are not going to watch anyways.

ramzeva

• Archived User
« Reply #62 on: January 24, 2008, 06:51:00 PM »

Im sure it would be more helpful if those 25k worth of people went out and bought 5 to 10 hddvd movies each.

itchy

• Archived User
« Reply #63 on: January 24, 2008, 07:15:00 PM »

I'd sign the petition, but only if it was AGAINST HD DVD.  Blu Ray all the way!!!

(I only say that because I have a PS3)

Mr Invader

• Archived User
« Reply #64 on: January 24, 2008, 07:30:00 PM »

QUOTE(ramzeva @ Jan 24 2008, 08:27 PM) View Post

Im sure it would be more helpful if those 25k worth of people went out and bought 5 to 10 hddvd movies each.

or if those 26k(now) went and bought 5 HD-DVD players each and gave them away...

#of HD-DVD players = 750,000 est. with attachment rate of 4
#of BR players = 6,000,000 est.(?) with attachment rate of .6

6,000,000 * .6  = 3,600,000
750,000 * 4 = 3,000,000
Not much difference.

(If the numbers are anywhere close to being accurate)
Attachment rate doesn't mean much to the studios; the movie sales are too close to call.
I think the number of players in homes is what the problem is...

Elemino

• Archived User
« Reply #65 on: January 24, 2008, 08:30:00 PM »

Those numbers make sense. If you only spend $150~$200 on a player (and another $60~$100 on an HDMI cable), the average person typically has more money to spend on movies vs. $400~$700 for Bluray.

Elemino

• Archived User
« Reply #66 on: January 24, 2008, 09:25:00 PM »

QUOTE(CyberFoxx @ Jan 24 2008, 10:26 PM) View Post
I don't see myself upgrading my motherboard anytime soon for something with SATA
You could just get a SATA controller card for your PC.

mc_365

• Archived User
« Reply #67 on: January 25, 2008, 12:01:00 AM »

QUOTE(slappynutz @ Jan 25 2008, 06:10 AM) View Post

Where to begin.

- Blu-Ray players are NOT $600 (try half that, usually less).

- The discs are NOT $30 (in fact they are on average CHEAPER than HD-DVDs -- I never pay more than $20 each).

- HD-DVD discs are nowhere near the same price as DVDs.

- The HD-DVD player you can buy for $150 cannot display 1080p, only 1080i.

Every single one of your proof points was incorrect. I don't see how, with even a modicrum of research, you could think any of them is true.

Petitions are universally useless. HD-DVD was a fun little format but Toshiba made a series of mistakes, from poor marketing to failing to gain more than the minimum in support to failing to get HD-DVD drives in every Xbox 360. But the funniest part about this petition is the clearly fanboi, inaccurate and silly anti-Sony FUD in the petition ... like anyone with more than a high-school education would pay attention to it.

I wish XS or some other body would just put together a factual comparisson so everyone could stop spreading FUD.

Please State what current Blu Ray player has every feature available in the least expensive HD-DVD player?
I'm guessing NONE and the Closest would be the PS3 at $350 vs $200 pre Black Friday prices.

1080i vs 1080P argument = Bullshit

If you buy any HD-DVD Disc, it will be compatable with any HD-DVD player whether it is 1080i or 1080P... now follow me here.....

If the both players can achieve their respective resolutions from the same disk, without upconverting....
That means there is no additional information on the disk.
Therefore, if your TV is a 1080P display, it will display the movie at 1080P!!!!!!
The only reason one would need a 1080P player is if his TV has a crappy deinterlacing chip.
And if thats the case all broadcast television (1080i max) would look like crap on it cuase you bought a crap television.  If CBS HD looks good on your set than 1080P dosent matter as no signal from cable/Sat/or Broadcast is at anything above 1080i, the television does the deinterlacing.

The only thing 1080P on the disc player does is add to the cost.  It's Marketing!!!!

Java vs HDi
The Blu Ray camp originally voted they preferred HDi when writing the spec.
They turned to Java, not becuase it was better but becuase of politics between companies.
HDi is the reason every HD-DVD has PiP and interactive menus and why only a few Blu Ray players have semi interactive menus and PiP.

One last note on Sony.

I bought a Sony CRT HDTV back in 1998, so I've been in HD a long Time compared to most here.

But guess what??

PS3 in all of it's glorious 1080P dosen't work with my set.
Since the PS3 dosen't have a scaler and early HDTVs didn't have scalers either and only displayed 480i/p or 1080i.  I don't know if theres been an update to fix this but thats Sony for ya.

Chancer

• Archived User
« Reply #68 on: January 25, 2008, 02:46:00 AM »

Since the PS3 dosen't have a scaler and early HDTVs didn't have scalers either and only displayed 480i/p or 1080i. I don't know if theres been an update to fix this but thats Sony for ya.

And that is Sonys fault because you bought in early and your set doesn't have a Scaler. How about accept if you are first in then you may not get some features that are introduced later. It is the same with everything electronic and it always has been. Did the first VHS buyers complain that they couldn't use the videoplus numbers the later ones could? or that they were only Mono and not stereo? I doubt it. progress means different feature sets all the time. If you want to take advantage then change your TV.
HDi is the reason every HD-DVD has PiP and interactive menus and why only a few Blu Ray players have semi interactive menus and PiP.

the newer profile players have this. On a personal note it really is of no interest to me to have these features. PIP was a huge failure when first introduced on earlier stuff. If I am watching a movie , I don't want an annoying distraction on the screen. Others may do but I would like to bet the numbers are small.
 I wish everyone would stop making this huge play on the price of the Players (much like the pointless play on Disc capacity of BR) Toshiba are at present clearing old stock at sale prices. Some real bargains to be had. But these are not a newly introduced model at a permanently sustainable low price.

Devil-Man

• Archived User
« Reply #69 on: January 25, 2008, 07:57:00 AM »

QUOTE(slappynutz @ Jan 25 2008, 01:13 PM) View Post

You completely misread my post. Read again.

All I was doing was refuting the post. He stated Blu-Ray players were $600. That's factually no longer true. No where did I, or the post I was referring to, mention relative player capabilities. Only price.

I'm well aware of the difference (and often lack thereof) between 1080p and 1080i. The original post I was replying to (and I guess you didn't read) touted 1080p on cheap HD-DVD players ... which are incapable of 1080p. It's a simple, clear distinction. You just wasted your time trying to educate the educated when all you had to do was read the damn post. I don't care if it's marketing. The original post claimed something that was not true. That's all. Very simple.

Sony CRT? Scaler? How is that any of my concern? I don't care. The original post was spreading FUD like Blu-Ray discs costing too much and HD-DVD discs costing the same as SD-DVDs ... clear, simple FUD, which I corrected, and you simply misread and started going off on a tangent over.

I'm sorry your old TV doesn't work with a PS3. I'm also sorry you wasted your time writing a lot of exclamation points.
What is this? Some kind of trump card?  rolleyes.gif

Do me a favor. Look up how old Universal and Paramount are. It's okay I'll wait.

You mean to tell me they're two of the oldest studios around? Even as old as the defunct RKO?

Well they must have a TON of really old, Black and White, 4:3, Silent, and otherwise useless titles in their catalogues.

I wonder if many of those thousands of ancient catalogue titles are worth converting to HD and releasing. Hell, I wonder if many of those thousands of ancient Paramount and Universal catalogue titles have even been released on DVD. Oh, wait, I know the answer. They haven't. Because they're old.

A far more apt comparison would be the number of catalogue titles released after, say 1970, that are in a condition to be encoded and released in HD. Or maybe how many of those catalogue titles, post 1970, drew decent enough box office to attract an audience in HD.

Well, we kind of already know. Almost across the board, day-and-date releases like Ghost Rider somehow manage to outsell vastly superior catalogue titles. That's because most people prefer to buy HD discs for NEW movies, not old ones, and especially (at this early stage) beautiful-looking new movies with great camerawork and effects.

And on that score, Blu-Ray wins hands down.

But then again, it already did. Jeez guys let it go. HD-DVD had some good points but all this whining and complaining and sour grapes makes it seem you're far more interested in hating Sony, and loving a format, than loving movies.

flamethrower.gif
PWND!!

(i'm with that guy)

mc_365

• Archived User
« Reply #70 on: January 25, 2008, 10:30:00 AM »

QUOTE(slappynutz @ Jan 25 2008, 01:13 PM) View Post

You completely misread my post. Read again.

No, I didn't.

The point is your post is just as misleading as all the rest on both sides.

Thus the desire to have 1 document with Comparisson so people can learn and make an informed decision.
Not argue back and forth everyday and confuse others.

All I was doing was refuting the post. He stated Blu-Ray players were $600. That's factually no longer true. No where did I, or the post I was referring to, mention relative player capabilities. Only price.

It's pointless to refute an incorrect statement with half ass answer that adds nothing to discussion.

A VW Beatle and a Ferrari are price differently, but that statement means nothing.
If you don't know anything about Beatles and Ferraries you would assume they are the same, so the Beatle is a better car cuase its the same and cheaper? Cost means nothing if you have no Qualitative Points of comparisson.  Thus you statment added nothing but to confuse the uneducated into thinking the players are priced similarly.

I'm well aware of the difference (and often lack thereof) between 1080p and 1080i. The original post I was replying to (and I guess you didn't read) touted 1080p on cheap HD-DVD players ... which are incapable of 1080p. It's a simple, clear distinction. You just wasted your time trying to educate the educated when all you had to do was read the damn post. I don't care if it's marketing. The original post claimed something that was not true. That's all. Very simple.

I did'nt need to read the previous thread as I stated
1080i vs 1080P argument = Bullshit

That means either side using it as a pro is spreading FUD.

The feature is built into every 1080P television!!!!!
I just put it into context of where it may be of some use.

Sony CRT? Scaler? How is that any of my concern? I don't care. The original post was spreading FUD like Blu-Ray discs costing too much and HD-DVD discs costing the same as SD-DVDs ... clear, simple FUD, which I corrected, and you simply misread and started going off on a tangent over.

It may not be of any concern to you.

Thus
One last note on Sony.

Meaning in addition, but not as important, but for informational purposes.

Sony has a significant amount of legacy televisions that they are not supporting, even thought HDTV penatration is still small relative to the population.

I wonder if many of those thousands of ancient catalogue titles are worth converting to HD and releasing. Hell, I wonder if many of those thousands of ancient Paramount and Universal catalogue titles have even been released on DVD. Oh, wait, I know the answer. They haven't. Because they're old.

A far more apt comparison would be the number of catalogue titles released after, say 1970, that are in a condition to be encoded and released in HD. Or maybe how many of those catalogue titles, post 1970, drew decent enough box office to attract an audience in HD.

Well, we kind of already know. Almost across the board, day-and-date releases like Ghost Rider somehow manage to outsell vastly superior catalogue titles. That's because most people prefer to buy HD discs for NEW movies, not old ones, and especially (at this early stage) beautiful-looking new movies with great camerawork and effects.

And on that score, Blu-Ray wins hands down.

But then again, it already did. Jeez guys let it go. HD-DVD had some good points but all this whining and complaining and sour grapes makes it seem you're far more interested in hating Sony, and loving a format, than loving movies.

I won't even address this childish nonesense

perfectdark

• Archived User
« Reply #71 on: January 25, 2008, 10:33:00 AM »

Just pull the plug and take HD-DVD off Life Support already

These guys did a petition to save hd-dvd and i already seen a petition to have paramout & universal to switch to bluray

enough is enough

I hate Sony, but bluray is better, so lets move on so all of us can enjoy 1 format with all movies available

mc_365

• Archived User
« Reply #72 on: January 25, 2008, 11:21:00 AM »

QUOTE(perfectdark @ Jan 25 2008, 07:09 PM) View Post

Just pull the plug and take HD-DVD off Life Support already

These guys did a petition to save hd-dvd and i already seen a petition to have paramout & universal to switch to bluray

enough is enough

I hate Sony, but bluray is better, so lets move on so all of us can enjoy 1 format with all movies available

Thats a smart way to look at it? Give up, accept what ever Big Business Gives you, cuase they know whats best for you.

9 million PS3 owners have decided for 6 billion people

I don't care about the petition or the companies involved, I only care about me (the consumer).

HD-DVD is currently a better product from the perspective of the educated consumer.
Underneath the headlines and PS3 vs XBOX hype, whom was paid off, Java vs microsoft, the truth is there.
HD-DVD is a better product for the mass populus.  Anyone who thinks different, give the facts, not future specs but the current facts to support their claim.

Chancer

• Archived User
« Reply #73 on: January 25, 2008, 03:25:00 PM »

HD-DVD is a better product for the mass populus. Anyone who thinks different, give the facts, not future specs but the current facts to support their claim.

I think different. Larger manufacturer support for Blu-Ray but the one key factor Catalogue of titles , both now and in the future. Don't even think about limiting your question by adding in
not future specs

Because the future is the key in respect of movie choice.

jesterrace777

• Archived User
« Reply #74 on: January 26, 2008, 04:25:00 AM »

For those of you wanting this format war to end, you need to think things through here very clearly.  The format war is the driving force behind all of these bogo sales on movies and getting hardware down into the affordable price-range.   If you think that you aren't going to be stuck paying $25-$30 a movie on a regular basis or $300+ for a player if Blu-Ray wins then think again.  If HD-DVD were able to pull it off though it would be very different since players are very close to the price-point at which mass adoption can occur.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6