xboxscene.org forums

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5

Author Topic: Sound Advice: HD DVD leaves Blu-ray in the dust  (Read 745 times)

Xbox-Scene

• Archived User
Sound Advice: HD DVD leaves Blu-ray in the dust
« on: November 11, 2007, 10:42:00 PM »

Posted by XanTium | November 12 00:06 EST | News Category: Xbox360

From Don Lindich (national columnist and creator of the "Digital Made Easy" book serie) on post-gazette.com:

I enthusiastically recommend HD DVD because it's a better product and a better proposition for consumers. Signs are showing it is going to trounce Blu-ray, and soon. Surprised? Read on.

For those looking for a single sentence explaining why go with HD DVD: It's a better thought-out, more solid product than Blu-ray, it is half the price, and picture and sound quality are identical. At less than $200 including seven or more movies, HD DVD players are a stunning value. Why pay twice the money when Blu-ray has serious issues and the movies look and sound the same?

I smile when I see people buying HD DVD players based on bargain pricing, because they are unknowingly getting the Ferrari as well! Despite its purported superiority and much higher cost, Blu-ray is the emperor with no clothes. HD DVD has been superior since day one.

On the other hand, at launch Blu-ray's picture quality was horrible, generating barbs such as "needs to go to the scrap heap" and "who in their right mind would ever like this?" Though they have since closed the picture quality gap, almost all Blu-ray player models announced or existing are already obsolete. They conform to an early player profile that does not support upcoming disc features. Profiles should have been finalized before product launch! Blu-ray's record has been spotty at best, and if you say it sounds like they have been fixing it as they go along, I'd say you are right.

Full Story: post-gazette.com

mlapaglia

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2007, 10:18:00 PM »

[cough] hd-dvd fanboy [/cough]

lol, i like hd-dvd better, but i wasn't aware that blu-ray was having a lot of problems?

mlmadmax

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2007, 10:20:00 PM »

I own both and I have to say this guy has soem good points. Early blu-ray movies did look like crap and while the PQ on both is about the same now it is to little to late.

I am just sayin havin to pay twice as much for the same thing is lame.

SuperStition

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2007, 10:25:00 PM »

HD-DVD is so great.

yourM0M

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2007, 10:40:00 PM »

the budget players will continue to sell out through christmas and that will squash the once large hardware advantage of blu-ray thanks solely to the ps3....then come next spring we will really see who signs exclusitivity deals

Ddude723

• Archived User
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2007, 10:51:00 PM »

this isn't heavily biased towards HD DVD at all... [/sarcasm]

dvsone

• Archived User
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2007, 11:21:00 PM »

HD DVD still has a long way to go before it leaves Blu-Ray in the dust. Hopefully Toshiba wont act like the Blu-Ray camp and claim victory before they're a clear winner.

This post has been edited by dvsone: Nov 12 2007, 07:23 AM

trey85stang

• Archived User
« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2007, 11:45:00 PM »

QUOTE(yourM0M @ Nov 12 2007, 06:40 AM) *

the budget players will continue to sell out through christmas and that will squash the once large hardware advantage of blu-ray thanks solely to the ps3....then come next spring we will really see who signs exclusitivity deals

yup,  people will buy HDDVD then wonder WTF all the good movies are only coming out on BRD.

h3xagram

• Archived User
« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2007, 11:42:00 PM »

QUOTE(dvsone @ Nov 11 2007, 10:21 PM) View Post
Hopefully Toshiba wont act like the Blu-Ray camp and claim victory before they're a clear winner.

Toshiba declined comment when questioned about the $99 player... They aren't arrogant like Sony.

http://www.videobusi.../CA6498141.html

Method2kh

• Archived User
« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2007, 12:19:00 AM »

Blah, I am really sick of this. I don't think ANYONE should talk crap about Blu-Ray or HD-DVD's until one of them actually dies out!! For this guy to say that Blu-Ray is going to die out?? ALL SPECULATION!! If I recall, there are tons of upcoming movies for both players! I swear I feel like a 10 year old wrote that article and used the hell outta the synonym feature in Microsoft Word. Until the BR/HD-DVD war dies, I'll be sure to buy both formats and NOT complain about which one is better..

xrothgarx

• Archived User
« Reply #10 on: November 12, 2007, 12:23:00 AM »

was it just me or did that article have a lot of nonsense "facts" supporting HD-DVD?

All I want to say is HD-DVD is to DVD like halo 3 was to halo 2. Good, but not that big of a step up.

oh and

http://www.engadgethd.com/2007/11/09/niels...nding-november/

I will be getting my PS3, and watching blu-ray movies on it, in a couple weeks.

metalcoat

• Archived User
« Reply #11 on: November 12, 2007, 12:18:00 AM »

I don't think there will ever be a clear winner, but even the CEO of Sony acknowledges some critical mistakes that the blu-ray camp has made and that the war is over and will simple be both formats.

Afterdawn News
Engadget source

erexx

• Archived User
« Reply #12 on: November 12, 2007, 01:13:00 AM »

Piss on this my format is better than yours.
Its egotistical, self centered and arrogant.
BRD vs. HDDVD = EQUAL

faithlesssoul

• Archived User
« Reply #13 on: November 12, 2007, 12:57:00 AM »

QUOTE(erexx @ Nov 12 2007, 04:13 AM) View Post

Piss on this my format is better than yours.
Its egotistical, self centered and arrogant.
BRD vs. HDDVD = EQUAL

pop.gif

thats what i am talking about

88 Ecko Unltd 88

• Archived User
« Reply #14 on: November 12, 2007, 01:34:00 AM »

ita all depends on the televsion you watch it on Really (lets say 1080p)... If the hd or br player you watch  is 1080p and the hddvd or bluray is 1080p... There is no difference in picture as long as their both 1080p  pop.gif
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5