xboxscene.org forums

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5

Author Topic: Sound Advice: HD DVD leaves Blu-ray in the dust  (Read 782 times)

Chancer

• Archived User
Sound Advice: HD DVD leaves Blu-ray in the dust
« Reply #30 on: February 02, 2020, 04:10:00 PM »

The PS3 is helping Blu-Ray build it's install base because it offers more value for money than a $400-$500 standalone player does to the average Joe.

And why is that an issue?
 I agree with you the PS3 is a great BR player and it adds in a games machine WiFi and other stuff. It doesn't make it wrong that people purchase it to play Blu-Ray discs on it. It also doesn't make it null and void when adding up the figures for BR Players. Makes perfect sense if you are in the market for it. You can't turn round and say the PS3 is not to be counted as a  BR player because the fact remains it is
If you take the PS3 out of the install base and remove all the disc sales from PS3 owners, you basically left with expensive standalone players and miserable disc sales.

The same could be said for the HD-DVD 360 add on. Up until Toshiba sold off the HD-DVD players, the very same players were also expensive.
And last thing. You talk about Toshiba discontinuing players at a loss, well how many of those $1000 Blu-Ray players still have that price tag on them? The PS3 has also had it's fair share of price cuts. Toshiba could be losing less money on it's player then Sony is.

You totally missed the point. I don't care which of them makes a loss. The point is the ultra cheap Toshiba was  not a specific model design to fit the price point, merely Toshiba clearing the decks.
The Funai BR player is due on to the market, so I still believe the "Format War" is a long standing battle yet.

• Archived User
« Reply #31 on: November 12, 2007, 03:40:00 PM »

...another inflammatory article on this format "war" that is purely for shock value.

HD-DVD and Blu-Ray to me (and the general consumer population) are both losers - compare the facts of previous adoption-rate of newer-generation audio/video formats and you will see just how slow consumers are to adopt these new optical HD formats...

optical-disc formats are very old-gen and the newer on-demand digital HD content will easily take over - especially since the consumers as a whole are price-driven...

Ranger72

• Archived User
« Reply #32 on: November 12, 2007, 04:00:00 PM »

Who cares. Anybody that is realy into high def entertainment systems will have both Blu-Ray and HDDVD.

But in the end the kids will decide. No Disney or Pixar movie will ever be on HD-DVD. Parents will buy the player with the movies their kids want to watch.

For me I am a happy owner of both players and just ordered the Bourne movies for HD-DVD and Independence Day for Blu-Ray.

Bubbalynch

• Archived User
« Reply #33 on: February 02, 2020, 05:56:00 PM »

QUOTE(Martinchris23 @ Nov 12 2007, 11:55 AM) *
As it stands, the movie studios will decide which one 'wins' purely by restricting their releases to one format.

So true. That really does say it all.

dvsone

• Archived User
« Reply #34 on: November 12, 2007, 05:35:00 PM »

QUOTE(Chancer @ Nov 13 2007, 12:10 AM) View Post

And why is that an issue?
 I agree with you the PS3 is a great BR player and it adds in a games machine WiFi and other stuff. It doesn't make it wrong that people purchase it to play Blu-Ray discs on it. It also doesn't make it null and void when adding up the figures for BR Players. Makes perfect sense if you are in the market for it. You can't turn round and say the PS3 is not to be counted as a  BR player because the fact remains it is

The same could be said for the HD-DVD 360 add on. Up until Toshiba sold off the HD-DVD players, the very same players were also expensive.

You totally missed the point. I don't care which of them makes a loss. The point is the ultra cheap Toshiba was  not a specific model design to fit the price point, merely Toshiba clearing the decks.
The Funai BR player is due on to the market, so I still believe the "Format War" is a long standing battle yet.
I never said it was an issue. However for a non gamers, HD DVD is a lot more attractive than Blu-Ray. And you can't straight count PS3's in the Blu-Ray install base. PS3 owners want to spend their money on gaming. The Blu-Ray player in the PS3 is going to be a fad for most PS3 owners.

Martinchris23

• Archived User
« Reply #35 on: November 12, 2007, 05:39:00 PM »

QUOTE(dvsone @ Nov 13 2007, 01:11 AM) View Post

I never said it was an issue. However for a non gamers, HD DVD is a lot more attractive than Blu-Ray. And you can't straight count PS3's in the Blu-Ray install base. PS3 owners want to spend their money on gaming. The Blu-Ray player in the PS3 is going to be a fad for most PS3 owners.

I don't know if you can make that kind of assumption without looking at a demographic. I've seen many a post by people who bought the PS3 purely for it's Blu-Ray player - at the time, it was the cheapest around. It also looks as if they have had the last laugh, since a lot of launch players won't be compatible with the new standards!

s2h

• Archived User
« Reply #36 on: February 02, 2020, 06:32:00 PM »

from PS3Scene.com

According to this weeks Nielsen VideoScan numbers Blu-ray took the lion's share of the HD movie sales again this week with a 71% to 29% split (2.45:1). It appears that the Transformers' effect wasn't enough to hold off Spidey 3, despite the disappointing sales. What's really interesting is that there is only one HD DVD title in the top ten this week, and to add insult to injury, four of the top ten titles are also available on HD DVD, but didn't sell well enough to make the list.

1. Spider-Man 3 BD 100.00
2. Spider-Man: The High Definition Trilogy BD 71.95
3. Transformers HD 31.42
4. Meet the Robinsons BD 8.82
5. 300 BD 6.56
6. Fantastic Four: Rise of the Silver Surfer BD 5.03
7. License to Wed BD 4.24
8. The Shining BD 4.11
9. Mr. Brooks BD 4.03
10. 2001: A Space Odyssey BD 3.88

Discuss

jesterrace777

• Archived User
« Reply #37 on: November 12, 2007, 06:17:00 PM »

QUOTE(iceman72 @ Nov 12 2007, 02:55 PM) View Post

Well dont get me wrong. I do love my HD-DVD addon drive for my 360. But my problem is the movies that come out are like 4 to 1. Also the BR movies are usually $10+ bucks cheaper. So i think right now the cost is almost the same. You can get a BR player for $499 and the movies are like $20 bucks. Then you can get a HD player for $99 - $200 but the damn movies are $30+. So after you buy 10 or so movies you are at the price of a BR player. Unfortunately it will take you a year to buy 10 or so HD movies because Sony Entertainment owns damn near every studio out there and all the good movies come out on BR. Now that Disney drops movies on BR that really sucks. But at the same time, I love the fact that the HD player makes my old movies look very very nice. So I am hoping that when the movie makers see that everyone is buying all these HD players they will start putting more movies on HD and not BR. Also it really sucks that the cheapest BR player is a PS3. So for those that want a BR player for less than $500 a PS3 is lookin good. I plan on getting one just for the movies, now thats sad. I really dont see any games that I want at all. Go figure.

You are definitely shopping in the wrong place.  Right on the front page for this site is an add for deepdiscountdvd.  http://www.deepdiscountdvd.com.   Enter in the promotional code: DEAL and get an additional 20% off.  I have Transformers AND 2001: A Space Odyssey on HD-DVD in my cart right now getting ready to be shipped to my door for less than $39 for BOTH.  The point is that if you are a smart shopper you can easily find both Blu-Ray and HD-DVD titles for reasonable prices.  

88 Ecko Unltd 88

• Archived User
« Reply #38 on: November 12, 2007, 06:20:00 PM »

nice site got resnoble hi-def prices  jester.gif

snsr

• Archived User
« Reply #39 on: February 02, 2020, 06:59:00 PM »

What a crock of shlt.  

BluRay discs are more durable and hold a significantly larger amount of data on a single layer, period.

chelfy

• Archived User
« Reply #40 on: November 12, 2007, 06:34:00 PM »

Ask your parents about Betamax.  I believe one format is the only logical solution, and that once the winner is declared you bet your ass the studios will put their product on the new format.  I spoke with both Family Video and Blockbuster, and they don't want to distribute both formats either.

Sony Blu-Ray has an advantage in that they have more exclusive movies right now, which is because they own Sony Studios, Columbia Pictures, and they are affiliated with Disney.  I'm sure they own more too.

HD-DVD, IMO, HAS A BETTER CHANCE TO WIN BASED ON TWO VERY ELEMENTARY THINGS.
1.) The branding.
 The name HD-DVD makes sense to a larger audience, it just sounds right, like the next step in DVD.  Put yourself in your grandparents shoes, they are just getting used to the DVD player they got for xmas, what is Blu-Ray?
2.) The price.  
If HD-DVD continues to offer players at a price of $99, such as the HD-A2, I believe the sales of players will increase the demand by consumers for more titles on HD-DVD will result in more studios releasing on HD-DVD.  Studios care about profit.

Nevermind the small tech specs, such as audio format, decoders, disc storage capacity; they are very similar formats and the tech stuff isn't going to be the deciding factor.

Blu-Ray needs a sub $200 player to compete, even if they are currently wining in disc sales.

dvsone

• Archived User
« Reply #41 on: November 12, 2007, 06:35:00 PM »

QUOTE(Martinchris23 @ Nov 13 2007, 02:15 AM) View Post

I don't know if you can make that kind of assumption without looking at a demographic. I've seen many a post by people who bought the PS3 purely for it's Blu-Ray player - at the time, it was the cheapest around. It also looks as if they have had the last laugh, since a lot of launch players won't be compatible with the new standards!
I definitely accept that not everyone fits in the same demographic. But what percentage of PS3 owners do you really think buy it with the intent to use it more as a Blu-Ray player than a gaming machine? The more gaming entertainment the PS3 gets the less movie entertainment will be purchased by PS3 owners.

Gaming is just much better entertainment. I'm sure that's something we all can agree on.

HotKnife420

• Archived User
« Reply #42 on: November 12, 2007, 07:52:00 PM »

QUOTE(Martinchris23 @ Nov 12 2007, 11:55 AM) View Post

There will never be an outright winner in this war. Blu-Ray is the PS3 proprietary format and there's no way it'll be changed. Too much money has been thrown at HD-DVD to cause it to fail. Just accept that both formats will be around for the duration. As it stands, the movie studios will decide which one 'wins' purely by restricting their releases to one format. Ultimately (and unfortunately) this means the consumer loses.

Fully spec'd dual format players FTW!

Actually, it's very possible to have an 'outright winner' in the next couple years. If the majority of blu-ray camp is PS3's, a publisher will take note of that. People buy game systems to game with, despite what features they come with. If the publisher sees that there is a significant installed base of HD-DVD players, and that majority blu-ray owners are via PS3, then they will choose HD-DVD, as you have to rule that a significant number of people who own a PS3 may not be movie buffs. Perhaps I'm not seeing the whole picture, but I think that only HD-DVD's installed base numbers are accurate, as every HD-DVD player is intended for movie viewing only, wheras a PS3 would be a wild card.

I feel that HD-DVD is a superior technology, but so far the content on the disc is all that matters. Since HD-DVD is more efficient, IMO, I'd like to see it win, and if blu-ray players don't start selling, I don't think a few million PS3s are going to make a significant difference, given the recent affordability of HD-DVD standalones.

hackthis25

• Archived User
« Reply #43 on: February 02, 2020, 08:46:00 PM »

Have you guys seen how cheap the ps3 is now?? 399 for a 40 gig ps3 + gay ray player.. I'm a diehard 360 with 2 360s plus HDDVD addon /1080p 65" HDDTV, but damn.. for 399 just alone I was thinking about also picking one of these up..

but as the way technology is, just wait another 6 months to a year and sure as hell the gayray pis3 will come down even more.. i'm waiting till it hits 199.. lol..

hell effin yeah.. laugh.gif

mc_365

• Archived User
« Reply #44 on: November 12, 2007, 08:16:00 PM »

as long as the number of players (including PS3) are within single digit percentage of each other there will be a war.

Why would any Sony studio not continue to be bluray exclusive?
It serves to push their hardware, which pushes their Movies.

Other movie studios will not remain HD-DVD exclusive without incentives from someone.
By doing so they limit their potential sales by half.

What's going to be funny, is all the Bluray exclusive that get copied into ch-dvd? or whatever the chinease format is called.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5