xboxscene.org forums

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5

Author Topic: Sound Advice: HD DVD leaves Blu-ray in the dust  (Read 780 times)

TheRat

• Archived User
Sound Advice: HD DVD leaves Blu-ray in the dust
« Reply #15 on: November 12, 2007, 01:42:00 AM »

well LG have just made that SuperBlue payer  LG BH-100 Super Multi Blue Player
that plays all formats HD & BR.. its about $1500 at the mo.. but wait and your have both from one that does it all (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

http://www.ultimateavmag.com/hddiscplayers/307lgblue/

This post has been edited by TheRat: Nov 12 2007, 09:42 AM

Jezz_X

• Archived User
« Reply #16 on: November 12, 2007, 02:10:00 AM »

I just want 1 to hurry up and win so I can buy one without wasting all the money for a paper weight and be able to get all my favourite movies/TV in 1 common format

Chancer

• Archived User
« Reply #17 on: November 12, 2007, 02:16:00 AM »

Why pay twice the money when Blu-ray has serious issues and the movies look and sound the same?

Because of the catalogue of titles at the moment.
Another example of someone getting paid a fortune for sharing his "Who gives a shit " opinion.
 I take more heed of the people on here who post opinion for free.

FWIW Stacks are giving away BR players with purchase of the 50 and 42 inch Plasmas they have on offer.

This post has been edited by Chancer: Nov 12 2007, 10:17 AM

dvsone

• Archived User
« Reply #18 on: November 12, 2007, 02:20:00 AM »

Actually people don't buy Blu-Ray players. They buy game systems that happen to include a Blu-Ray player. If the PS3 didn't have a Blu-Ray player in it, the format would be dead by now. End of story.

seuden

• Archived User
« Reply #19 on: November 12, 2007, 02:57:00 AM »

QUOTE(dvsone @ Nov 12 2007, 09:20 AM) *

Actually people don't buy Blu-Ray players. They buy game systems that happen to include a Blu-Ray player. If the PS3 didn't have a Blu-Ray player in it, the format would be dead by now. End of story.

Agreed.

Slag Bag

• Archived User
« Reply #20 on: November 12, 2007, 02:59:00 AM »

Well according to the Nielsen Videoscan looks like HD-DVD is getting left in a RROD.

Martinchris23

• Archived User
« Reply #21 on: November 12, 2007, 03:55:00 AM »

There will never be an outright winner in this war. Blu-Ray is the PS3 proprietary format and there's no way it'll be changed. Too much money has been thrown at HD-DVD to cause it to fail. Just accept that both formats will be around for the duration. As it stands, the movie studios will decide which one 'wins' purely by restricting their releases to one format. Ultimately (and unfortunately) this means the consumer loses.

Fully spec'd dual format players FTW!

MartinC

• Archived User
« Reply #22 on: November 12, 2007, 04:24:00 AM »

Blu-ray's hard-coating or it's more data per layer wasn't mentioned for some strange reason? Mhhhhh...

This guy is a puppet.

Retell

• Archived User
« Reply #23 on: November 12, 2007, 04:42:00 AM »

QUOTE(MartinC @ Nov 12 2007, 12:24 PM) *

Blu-ray's hard-coating or it's more data per layer wasn't mentioned for some strange reason? Mhhhhh...
This guy is a puppet.

This guy doesn't mention any numbers or facts, what kind of audio BD supports that HDDVD doesn't. He is a simple stooge paid off by the HDDVD lobbyists (IMG:style_emoticons/default/tongue.gif)

proger

• Archived User
« Reply #24 on: November 12, 2007, 06:10:00 AM »

Bleh, this format war is getting annoying.

I don't get why you would like to watch most movies in high-def anyway. Almost all recent movies are boring and repetitive.

Chancer

• Archived User
« Reply #25 on: November 12, 2007, 05:57:00 AM »

QUOTE(dvsone @ Nov 12 2007, 09:20 AM) View Post

You ought to be one of these Analysts
Actually not many people by either as standalone players. HD-DVD was no different until the price drop on the clearance Toshiba lines.
You can quote if this and if that forever.
If there had not been a buy off of a major film studio, if Toshiba had not decided to sell discontinued players at a loss etc.
Fact is every factor is just another long ball in what will be a long game.

Andronicus

• Archived User
« Reply #26 on: November 12, 2007, 06:09:00 AM »

QUOTE(proger @ Nov 12 2007, 02:10 PM) View Post

Bleh, this format war is getting annoying.
I don't get why you would like to watch most movies in high-def anyway. Almost all recent movies are boring and repetitive.

Amen to that.  I would like to see "Sunshin" in Hi-Def.

Ever since the first duel format player was anounced about a year ago, I have been predicting that the war is acctualy over.  Soon everyone will have duel format players (remember DVD+r and DVD-R, no one even remebers what that was about).

iceman72

• Archived User
« Reply #27 on: November 12, 2007, 06:55:00 AM »

Well dont get me wrong. I do love my HD-DVD addon drive for my 360. But my problem is the movies that come out are like 4 to 1. Also the BR movies are usually $10+ bucks cheaper. So i think right now the cost is almost the same. You can get a BR player for $499 and the movies are like $20 bucks. Then you can get a HD player for $99 - $200 but the damn movies are $30+. So after you buy 10 or so movies you are at the price of a BR player. Unfortunately it will take you a year to buy 10 or so HD movies because Sony Entertainment owns damn near every studio out there and all the good movies come out on BR. Now that Disney drops movies on BR that really sucks. But at the same time, I love the fact that the HD player makes my old movies look very very nice. So I am hoping that when the movie makers see that everyone is buying all these HD players they will start putting more movies on HD and not BR. Also it really sucks that the cheapest BR player is a PS3. So for those that want a BR player for less than $500 a PS3 is lookin good. I plan on getting one just for the movies, now thats sad. I really dont see any games that I want at all. Go figure.

Obveron

• Archived User
« Reply #28 on: November 12, 2007, 07:08:00 AM »

QUOTE(Martinchris23 @ Nov 12 2007, 11:55 AM) *

Fully spec'd dual format players FTW!

Agreed, the only problem is that these players will always cost more since they need to pay licensing fees to both camps.  Consumers still lose.

dvsone

• Archived User
« Reply #29 on: November 12, 2007, 08:07:00 AM »

QUOTE(Chancer @ Nov 12 2007, 02:33 PM) View Post

You ought to be one of these Analysts
Actually not many people by either as standalone players. HD-DVD was no different until the price drop on the clearance Toshiba lines.
You can quote if this and if that forever.
If there had not been a buy off of a major film studio, if Toshiba had not decided to sell discontinued players at a loss etc.
Fact is every factor is just another long ball in what will be a long game.
HAHA ur so witty. It's only gamers supporting the Blu-Ray format right now. If you take the PS3 out of the install base and remove all the disc sales from PS3 owners, you basically left with expensive standalone players and miserable disc sales. "Catalogue of titles" isn't moving Blu-Ray players out into the homes, the PS3 is. It's increasingly obvious that price is the key factor in gathering enough success to take over DVD. The PS3 is helping Blu-Ray build it's install base because it offers more value for money than a $400-$500 standalone player does to the average Joe.

And last thing. You talk about Toshiba discontinuing players at a loss, well how many of those $1000 Blu-Ray players still have that price tag on them? The PS3 has also had it's fair share of price cuts. Toshiba could be losing less money on it's player then Sony is.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5