xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Xecuter 2.6 On A 1.6  (Read 143 times)

frogandy

• Archived User
Xecuter 2.6 On A 1.6
« on: October 27, 2004, 06:50:00 AM »

I have a 2.6 and a 1.6 crystal xbox(UK) and im about to install the chip.

I do however have a few qusetions relating to both the bios and the install.

Install:  I have previously installed an 2.3 lite on a 1.1 and had no problems, but the whole 1.6 modification is confusing me.

Iv seen the pictures of how to install teh 1.6 but i really done get it? Do i use the pin header? Am i being stupid?  Is there a toutorial around with the exact purpose of puting a 2.6 in a 1.6 (worded - not just the pic that iv already seen). Can any one who has already done this help?

Bios: When i installed my 2.3 lite on my 1.1 xbox, i didnt flash it. The cromwell bios didnt give me any problems.. i didnt change the dashbord. My friend didnt flash his 2.3 either... and installed evo x... and all worked fine. (this is the message i seem to be getting from every where).... So why would i need to flash the EvoX M8 Bios?    

I read in another post that there is a 1.6a and a 1.6b, and that the cromwell bios wont work on a 1.6b(although ther seems to be a debate about this). I dont know if mine is a 1.6b or 1.6a.  Can any one clear this up?    

so in SUMMERY: 1) is there an explicit toutorial for inatalling a 2.6 on a 1.6, and if not is tehr any one who can explain it a bit to me.

2) Am i going to NEED to flash with the M8 bios? (i intend to put evo x on)

<

whiffin

• Archived User
Xecuter 2.6 On A 1.6
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2004, 07:34:00 AM »

You were in the same state as I was in a week ago.

Crystal Xbox (1.6)
2.6 Chip from divineo.co.uk

This is the solution I posted two days ago (a search would have gotten it!)

But to answer your questions:

Install: I have previously installed an 2.3 lite on a 1.1 and had no problems, but the whole 1.6 modification is confusing me.

Basically the same apart from: You remove a few more pins from the header before soldering.

As the LPC has been changed you need to (manually) solder 5 wires onto the underside of the LPC to points on the mobo - these are NOT supplied. I cut up and used the wire-install header thingy as it is not needed.

Need a 5v (red) power supply (wire supplied)

Need to use a different d0, and can (optionally) solder the LAN / HDD wires (these 3 wires are in a seperate block)

Other than that hardware is the same.

All chips come supplied with cromwell (for legal reasons) - this allows you to do a few things, but mainly flash another BIOS. So yes, you'll need to flash with the m8_16 BIOS.

BUT  you will need to make this 1204Kb (1Mb) as sometimes it prodces errors otherwise).

If you want a large HDD, you'll need to use EvTool to edit it so that large partition 6 is supported. Just resave ...

I read in another post that there is a 1.6a and a 1.6b, and that the cromwell bios wont work on a 1.6b(although ther seems to be a debate about this). I dont know if mine is a 1.6b or 1.6a. Can any one clear this up?

Just try it - mine was a brand new UK Pal clear 1.6

so in SUMMERY: 1) is there an explicit toutorial for inatalling a 2.6 on a 1.6, and if not is tehr any one who can explain it a bit to me.

Below - if you've done a chip before this is more than enough

2) Am i going to NEED to flash with the M8 bios? (i intend to put evo x on)

Yes - all both (512Kb) with one large 1024Kb image. m8_16 is 256Kb when you d/l it

Next time search - there are loads of examples (including this) on the first page!

Stage 1. Remove the pins from the pin header and solder all remaining pins in (as shown)

(IMG:http://www.webbedfeetuk.com/Crap/xbox/x26liteon16mobo_pinheader.jpg)

Stage 2. Solder on 5 large wires on LPC header and mobo. This remaps the LPC on newer mobos. (yellow, blue, purple, black, orange in my picture)

Stage 3. Solder the red/grey/green wires that are supplied, these plug into the chip. Grey = d0, red = HDD LED, green = LAN LED

(IMG:http://www.webbedfeetuk.com/Crap/xbox/x26liteon16mobo_bottom.jpg)

Stage 4. Solder on the 5v (seperate red) power supply on top of motherboard. Other end plugs in chip

(IMG:http://www.webbedfeetuk.com/Crap/xbox/x26liteon16mobo_top.jpg)

Stage 5. Attach chip to 5v supply, red/green/grey wires, and 5v red wire.

Stage 6. Attach switch board on outside of case, and use supplied cable to attch to chip.

Stage 7. Chip should now work.

Stage 8. If large (>137gb) HDD is required, remake m8_16 BIOS using EvTool (use partition 6 for all extra space). If a large HDD is not required the usual m8_16 BIOS will suffice. In either case you may get errors unless this BIOS fills both banks (1Mb) - so do not just fill one bank!

Hardware Installation Complete

Anyone, feel free to use these images without credit - just don't pass off as your own!  <

frogandy

• Archived User
Xecuter 2.6 On A 1.6
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2004, 07:59:00 AM »

Cheers Mate, You are a legend... But i did search (seriously)... and didnt find anything.

Any way, thanks very much.

Im at work and dont have timne to read through what you posted but it all looks pritty simple.... if i get stuck you mite get a pm from me.

Cheers - Andy  <

whiffin

• Archived User
Xecuter 2.6 On A 1.6
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2004, 09:06:00 AM »

No worries  <

noob1

• Archived User
Xecuter 2.6 On A 1.6
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2004, 11:12:00 AM »

how do i make a 1mb bios will i still have my flashbios 2.6.0 (blue screen) if i flash with 1mb bios

thanks  ;)   <

xbonz

• Archived User
Xecuter 2.6 On A 1.6
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2004, 05:22:00 PM »

Do i have to take the MB out ?? how much more does it take to get it out a pain in da a#@ rt whAT  Thanks   <

xbonz

• Archived User
Xecuter 2.6 On A 1.6
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2004, 05:42:00 PM »

whatever i will. It looks like a neat install to do it that way.

there are no extra switches needed right ?? not the toggle Thanks   <

whiffin

• Archived User
Xecuter 2.6 On A 1.6
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2004, 03:06:00 AM »

how do i make a 1mb bios will i still have my flashbios 2.6.0 (blue screen) if i flash with 1mb bios

You'll have to use EvTool or similar to readd that to the BIOS

Do i have to take the MB out ?? how much more does it take to get it out a pain in da a#@ rt whAT Thanks

With older mobos you need to remove the mobo if you wanna do a pin header install (much neater way).

With 1.6 mobos you HAVE to take the mobo out as the d0 is on the bottom and you have to remap the LPC - on the bottom

whatever i will. It looks like a neat install to do it that way.

there are no extra switches needed right ?? not the toggle Thanks

Don't quite get what you mean, but you only need the chip, switch board (all comes together with wires) the BIOS mentioned above and a steady soldering hand  <

xbonz

• Archived User
Xecuter 2.6 On A 1.6
« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2004, 10:14:00 PM »

Just a few questions before i begin.
1) I have a 2.6 header in my hand ith the wires attached. there are 10mwires on it where do they all go ? I have wht, gry,prpl,blu,grn,yel,org,a long red one,brn and black. if irefer to the 2.3b install guide it shows only prpl,blu,yel,org,red and gry(d0) where do the remaining wires go??

2) i have thesmall plug with gry red,and grn  I assume that s d0 Hdd and lan respectively there is also the same colors on the other header whats up?

3) can i get a picture of the wires connected to the pin header. i was going to solder and shrink wrap the wires to the pin header install the pin header then rebuild the other side but i have no starting point can someone please verify where the wires go Thanks alot guys
 <

rebelsim

• Archived User
Xecuter 2.6 On A 1.6
« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2004, 12:04:00 PM »

I'm in a similar boat and i have some questions. Why do you have to remove pins from the header? How do you connect wires to the mod chip? I only have a d0 and a ground. that are connected to the chip. I ruined a motherboard and a lot of extra stuff that comes with a mod chip so im out a pin header anyone know a place i can get one cheap?   <