xboxscene.org forums

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 9

Author Topic: Build A Working Xbox Hd From Scratch  (Read 1732 times)

ldots

• Archived User
Build A Working Xbox Hd From Scratch
« Reply #30 on: April 07, 2004, 07:39:00 AM »

biggrin.gif

I have a v1.0 that has taken a good amount of abuse - chips have been soldered and desoldered. Harddrives have been swapped on a daily basis. Thermal compound on both GPU and CPU heatsinks have been replaced and new quiter fans have been installed. The pot on the DVD laser has been tweaked...Finally the Thomson DVD had become so bad at reading any kind of media that I thought - let's buy another xbox while the "right" versions are still available...

Saw a Halo Midtown madness 3 bundle and thought. These a aged games so this xbox must have an old kernel. The salesman would not let me check the manufactor-date so I just took the chance. After my first glance at the date I was a bit disappointed - 20/11-2003. However it's a 5101 kernel. Yeah - allready modded with Mech fonts and PBL 1.4.1.

And I got the Samsung DVD drive. Sooo much better that the crappy Thomson. It reads cd-r's with no problems - just tried with both AVI movies and MP3's  tongue.gif

My apologies for this non-technical thread. Just an outburst of happiness because of my new softmodded xbox with Samsung DVD  love.gif

ldots

• Archived User
« Reply #31 on: April 07, 2004, 11:16:00 AM »

Problem is G_David - from your discription it sounds like your fatx filesystem on the xbox is messed up. To regerate it you need a linux that can format a fatx partition. Xlinux cannot do this. I could let you try my little distro but it would be at your own risk!!!

You dont have your hdd passwd or eeprom do you?

Chicken Scratch Boy

• Archived User
« Reply #32 on: April 08, 2004, 05:29:00 AM »

so, i have been poking around in the pascal source for the hdunlock program... cant make heads or tails of it.... then again, i'm not much of programmer (just perl)....

i hope you can understand it better them me

ldots

• Archived User
« Reply #33 on: April 08, 2004, 05:47:00 AM »

tongue.gif
Well all the command passing (the actual interfacing with the disks) is written in assembler.
Problem is I'm not able to compile it? Have tried two different Pascal compilers and they both choke on the Pacal part of the code. Unfortunately the gnu Pascal compiler will not install on my system. My Gnu C-compiler is too recent???

Anyone with experience in compiling Pascal?

Chicken Scratch Boy

• Archived User
« Reply #34 on: April 08, 2004, 06:27:00 AM »

i noticed that the locking part was in assembaler...
u guess we could just write that into another program, and use it to parse a txt file, then lock it with that key...
i've never worked with assembaler either...

ldots

• Archived User
« Reply #35 on: April 08, 2004, 02:27:00 PM »

Xebian boots on a PC also. Architecture is detected at bootime.

When I get some more test-results I hope to release an automated package for this stuff which will be  a lot smaller than Xebian (~9Mb).

Chicken Scratch Boy

• Archived User
« Reply #36 on: April 08, 2004, 03:42:00 PM »

been poking at the source again (of hdunlock) , and it looks like the it reads the  password in this final block:

G_David

• Archived User
« Reply #37 on: April 08, 2004, 04:56:00 PM »

I did make a backup of my Xbox hdd too before i did all this crap. Is there any way to restore my backup to my xbox hdd??? Since hdd driver doesnt work, cuz it gives me these infinite error crap and if i ignore it and try to restore my xbox hdd, it just stays there like it froze.

Mayb when it froze it could be restoreing my xbox hdd and since it was, i thought it froze so i canceled it and turned off the computer cuz i thought it froze and killling the program would close it.

Chicken Scratch Boy

• Archived User
« Reply #38 on: April 08, 2004, 05:09:00 PM »

oh yes, anyone experianced with pascal, feel free to help out!

brilliantdonkey

• Archived User
« Reply #39 on: April 08, 2004, 07:40:00 PM »

If you don't include the MS files, then maybe xbins could host it... after all, ppl can just d/l Slayer's disk to get the dash.

ldots

• Archived User
« Reply #40 on: April 09, 2004, 03:39:00 AM »

sad.gif
That's the status - so close, yet so far...

ldots

• Archived User
« Reply #41 on: April 09, 2004, 03:51:00 AM »

@ G_David
I don't know the format of the HDD driver backup. Maybe I can find out though. If it's a raw dump you could use it. Otherwise, you can try my HD builder soon. Would just like to hear from some test-people first.

@ BBrasky42
I'm not sure Xebian is meant/suited to a HD install on a PC. XBOXLinuxInstall sort of indicates it for the xbox. If you want to install linux why not go for a more suited distro - I recommend Gentoo.
For a very easy install you can try Dynebolic. This is a cd-bootable linux like Xebian (fatx enabled) and has the option to let you run from HD. You will need to install a bootloader manually though.
For the simple purpose of building a xbox HD I wouldn't bother changing the z an y keys. Read the tutoral again on how to get the pipe (it has been edited).

@ brilliantdonkey
That was why I didn't include the Slayer files.

ldots

• Archived User
« Reply #42 on: April 09, 2004, 05:42:00 AM »

QUOTE (ldots @ Apr 9 2004, 12:39 PM)
Also the assembler code is in Intel syntax and not AT&T syntax which is the default for linux. A flag to the compiler lets me compile the asm code also - but something fails when linking the final program  sad.gif

Problem!!!
The reason it doesn't link is that the asm code is written for the DOS Turbo Pascal compiler which is a 16bit compiler. Free Pascal is only 32 bit. Either I have to find a 16 bit compiler for linux or the asm code needs to be re-written. Anyone with asm experience who could do this ?

ldots

• Archived User
« Reply #43 on: April 09, 2004, 05:44:00 AM »

Double post! Slow server.

Chicken Scratch Boy

• Archived User
« Reply #44 on: April 09, 2004, 06:39:00 AM »

sad.gif , either that, or hit the books dry.gif

edit:

oops, forgot to search google groups  smile.gif

single hit pertaining to 16bit 32bit conversion that seems usful...

Here it is...
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 9