xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: 1.6 W/ X3ce Flashes Three Times, Then Frags  (Read 85 times)

Lotus289

• Archived User
1.6 W/ X3ce Flashes Three Times, Then Frags
« on: April 19, 2007, 04:33:00 PM »

my 1.6 has been running fine for a long time.  but i've run into some problems, here's how it went down:

- installed HDD and LAN activity LED's via the same connection the X3CE uses.  
- new LAN LED was permanently on (with no LAN connected)
- xbox would not boot to dash
- removed both activity LED's
- xbox STILL not booting to dash, it boots to MS Dash fine.  and works as a normal xbox fine.
- when booting to MS Dash, the switch panel does not light up at all.
- Desoldered the entire mod and started from scratch
- used 1.6 LPC rebuild board instead of wires this time
- now all the lights on the chip work, but it flashes on / off 3 times, the Frag's
- black screen too

i've checked and rechecked every connection i made.  all my research says it's just a loose connection somewhere.  could this be the case?  or is it possibly something more serious?

TheJedi

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2007, 06:07:00 PM »

Check your LPC.

There are 12 solder points.  6 to the mobo, 6 to the pin header.  The tut by tehsoul only says 5 to mobo (4 plus the d0), its actually 5 + d0.

Chances are you've got one missing or its not making good enough contact - try using a multimeter to check the impedence of your connections.

There is a diagram somewhere, I'm sorry I don't have the link; that actually has alternate trace points you can use through out the motherboard to test the connectivity, but I'd start with this.

Jedi

Lotus289

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2007, 07:52:00 PM »

ok, i'm gonna give this a bump.  i completely removed the X3CE mod.  pinheader and all wires are gone.  i cleaned up all my solder points.  i'll admit, the area around the LPC doesn't look the best, but the traces still look good.  however, all put back together, it still FRAG's and there's still no video.  So..... is the mobo cooked? (god i hope not).  but i'm afraid that's the truth.  so any tips / advice of the cause or solution  for my busted xbox?

boob1966

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2007, 01:11:00 AM »

post some pic of mother board and soldering (GOOD ONES)

This post has been edited by boob1966: Apr 23 2007, 08:13 AM

Lotus289

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2007, 06:47:00 PM »

these are the best pics i could get with my camera.  and after looking at the mobo at full res, i'm thinking it might be toast.  so that brings me to another question:

if the motherboard is toast, can i just put another motherboard in there with the X3 and it'll work??  or is the HDD and the Mobo matched even with a mod chip?  or if you have a better fix, please lemme know.

Pics:
(IMG:http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y140/Lotus289/Xbox%20Pics/th_Picture001.jpg)
(IMG:http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y140/Lotus289/Xbox%20Pics/th_Picture002-1.jpg)
(IMG:http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y140/Lotus289/Xbox%20Pics/th_Picture003-1.jpg)
(IMG:http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y140/Lotus289/Xbox%20Pics/th_Picture004-1.jpg)

boob1966

• Archived User
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2007, 01:41:00 AM »

start looking for a new mother board you have done some damage to that mother board  and my guess you dont have the skill to fix it if it can be fixed

Lotus289

• Archived User
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2007, 03:57:00 PM »

QUOTE(boob1966 @ Apr 24 2007, 03:12 AM) *

start looking for a new mother board you have done some damage to that mother board  and my guess you dont have the skill to fix it if it can be fixed

oooh, ya cut me real deep right there (IMG:style_emoticons/default/tongue.gif)   i was thinking the same thing.  i'm sure i could repair a trace or 10, but i don't know which connections are gone.

boob1966

• Archived User
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2007, 04:15:00 PM »

mate it look like you ripped the solder out and took some of the mother board with the solder you may get lucky and fix it but were to start?
im going to post pics over at www.team-xecuter.com and see if i get a response

This post has been edited by boob1966: Apr 24 2007, 11:17 PM

Beastmaster

• Archived User
« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2007, 05:00:00 PM »

Hey Lotus289 if you still need help and live in or near Toronto ON. I know a mod chip installer who is really good at fixing this type of bad solder jobs he fixed mine and a lot of other ones i took to him.
His name is jROC.  His sucess rate for fixing bad installs is 98% there are some jobs he can't fix.
If you need any info let me know.

Beastmaster.

Martinchris23

• Archived User
« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2007, 05:02:00 PM »

This is repairable, but you'll need someone to do a trace repair to fix those LPC points.

Did you use acid flux at any point, because TBH it looks as if it's eaten away at the board.

Martin

Lotus289

• Archived User
« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2007, 08:47:00 PM »

thanx for the tips guys.  more than likely i'm going to get a new motherboard before i attempt to fix this one.  and i think the reason for the torture of the LPC holes is because of how many times the pin header went in and out, and the massive use of desoldering braid.  the scrap looking marks are from running the desoldering braid over the board to pick up any loose pieces of solder that may have spattered around.  i really don't feel comfortable trying to do trace repair, mostly because i don't know what trace(s) to fix.  so i'll just sell this mobo to anyone who can salvage some parts off it, and pick up a new one.