xboxscene.org forums

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 11

Author Topic: Xecuter 2.6 Bios Tutorial  (Read 767 times)

adingman99

• Archived User
Xecuter 2.6 Bios Tutorial
« Reply #30 on: March 11, 2005, 06:23:00 PM »

I am having trouble. I have a v1.6 xbox with an  2.6ce chip. I am trying to flash it via http. When i boot up to flash bios my controller doesn't work. If i turn the chip off and boot to the normal xbox bios the controller works. Any help would be appreciated.

ubernewb

• Archived User
« Reply #31 on: March 12, 2005, 03:03:00 AM »

1. is it an official m$ controller? i've heard on more than one occasion of people's 3rd party controllers not being recognized.. weird i know, but i know of no explanation

2. is it the only controller plugged in? got myself with that one once.. again, i don't know why but it happens from time to time

3. is it plugged into the 1st controller port?

BigdaddyS

• Archived User
« Reply #32 on: March 12, 2005, 06:08:00 AM »

QUOTE(ubernewb @ Mar 11 2005, 06:06 AM)
not true... i know of many people that have had issues running m8plus_16 on 1.6 boxes. i myself had two that ran buggy on that bios.

like i said earlier..
1.6 .... m8_v1.6
1.6b .. m8plus_v1.6

I don't know. huh.gif  But it's working for me(using M8 Plus 1.6 on 1.6 version....No problems). unsure.gif

ubernewb

• Archived User
« Reply #33 on: March 13, 2005, 01:33:00 PM »

that's cool... i'm sure there are others using that bios/version combo with no problems as well. my recommendation is based on 100% success though...

when giving people advice/instructions on how to do something, it's better to give a fool-proof version and not a crap shoot. not a lot of 'newbs' want to take that chance when it comes to doing things for the first time. let them experiment once they are more familiar with the system and know how to fix it if something goes wrong

TriumphDog1

• Archived User
« Reply #34 on: March 14, 2005, 06:47:00 AM »

instead of putting flashbios on bank 1 and the m8 bios on bank 2, could i put some linux loader on bank 1 and m8 on bank 2? i want to be able to have linux and evox.  i guess if i did that i wouldnt be able to put a new bios on ever again right? i dont want that to happen, so i guess what im asking is if flashbios isnt on one of the banks will i still be able to put a new bios on later?

ubernewb

• Archived User
« Reply #35 on: March 14, 2005, 10:02:00 PM »

sure you can... just get a program from "the usual places" called FlashX. works just great for the x2.6 chips. (wanna say it works for all x2 chips, but as i've not tried it i won't guarantee it.. maybe someone else here can)

store various bios files on the xbox (f:\bios\whateverbios.bin for example) and the program will flash it for you. pretty damn easy to use. when i had my 2.6 i would have different bios files made for different fan speeds (before i started using xbmc that is.. those were dark days laugh.gif ) and just flash a lower speed when watching a movie, or a higher speed when doing a lot of gaming.

i would only suggest that you get her up and running before you do it, just in case anything happens during the flashing process

TriumphDog1

• Archived User
« Reply #36 on: March 15, 2005, 05:57:00 AM »

thanks.  actually the reason i asked that question is im trying to decide which chip to buy, the x2.6 or 3, since the 3 is nearly twice the price, i wanted to make sure i could still do what i wanted to with 2.6, and it seems i can, so far it seems like the only main difference is the 3 has 2mb for bioses instead of 1, but 1mb is enough for me b/c i only need 2 bioses.  is there any other big differences that i have failed to notice? i know the x3 also has that chip that sticks on the front of your xbox with led indicators n stuff, but i dont really need that, as long as i have the switch to turn it off on the front, which 2.6 has.

This post has been edited by TriumphDog1: Mar 15 2005, 02:01 PM

ubernewb

• Archived User
« Reply #37 on: March 15, 2005, 02:05:00 PM »

the biggest difference right now is the bios itself. the x3 bios supports live config. so you can alter bios options (fan speed, flubber/text color, xbe boot order, etc.) from a menu in the chip itself. it also allows you to ftp to the box thru that. and then there's the ability to format a new hdd, back up your eeprom, etc...

actually, there's a hell of a lot of stuff to x3 live config..  

and then there's the cool extras.. x3lcd, x3pro switch, x3 control panel

not that the 2.6 wasn't a good chip, it served it's purpose well for me. i just upgraded cuz i wanted the latest & greatest. on the plus side, they are currently working on a config live bios for x2 chips.. might just be a while till it's ready though

TriumphDog1

• Archived User
« Reply #38 on: March 16, 2005, 05:58:00 AM »

i think i'll go with the 2.6, im pretty sure it can do as much as i need to do.
one last question i have is when i turn the chip off it is automatically gonna load the default xbox bios and dashboard so i can get on live right?

AjayM520

• Archived User
« Reply #39 on: March 16, 2005, 10:46:00 AM »

sorry, i searched just to make sure im not askin a dumb questions...

I got a xbox 1.6, with a 2.6 chip.
i have it on bank 2 runnin all my software (avalaunch and stuff) and wanted to reflash the chip because i had to change a setting in the bios. how do i go about reflashing the chip. if i put it on bank 1 the blue screen comes up , is it safe to flash it from here, or should i make a boot disk and flash it on bank 2....any ideas? I have the bios i used so im just gonna adjust it (simple change of which xbe to boot from).

or should i use somthing like evox to flash the chip?

Thanks in advance...that was a good tutorial, exactly what i did....

ubernewb

• Archived User
« Reply #40 on: March 16, 2005, 02:10:00 PM »

read the post just a couple spots above yours.. there's a program called FlashX that will do it for you and you can run it as an app from any dashboard.

31337n008

• Archived User
« Reply #41 on: March 18, 2005, 10:45:00 PM »

Just one more comment to add to the list...

1.6B with a 2.6CE.
For some reason flashing from a CDRW appeared to work but would not.  Very strange, it worked perfectly the first and put M8Plus1.6 on the 1st bank (before i realized the quirk).  Then, when i would try to reflash to anything different (tried 4xflashbios to clean it and the 'proper' flash+M8Plus1.6) but it never changed.  The flash protect was set correctly and it showed the yellow and green bar as if everything was ok.  No errors, no flash.  It was always as if it was unflashed from the first, working one.

Next i decide to attempt to flash from the Hard Drive via EvoX (that i could install without issue with M8Plus1.6, it was simply the loading of games/programs that wouldn't work).  This works perfectly, without issue.  

Everything is now working and loading without issue.  Thus, if you have trouble with a CDRW and can get into the xbox via ftp: use the hard-drive.

Just wanted to share my experience and maybe save someone a night of annoyance...

~Me

d3fo

• Archived User
« Reply #42 on: March 23, 2005, 01:14:00 PM »

Reet Im trying to flash an Xbox 1.6 with the m8 16 bios by disc.....ive created the 512kb m8 file needed and ive stuck it on a disc with the dummy file. Ive flashed from bank 2 but its only flashing to bank 1(which ive read has problems), I still have cromwell 3.0.3 on bank 2 and the m8 bios on bank 1. Although it works. It doesnt seem to work properly.

How can I flash the m8 bios to Bank 2 by disc. Any help would be greatly appreiciated

d3fo

31337n008

• Archived User
« Reply #43 on: March 23, 2005, 05:02:00 PM »

The BIOS has to be 1024k.  Thats why its not flashing correctly for you.  Try padding it so the first two 256k spots are flashbios (in case its needed later) and the second two spots are the M8Plus_16.  Then it should work.

~31337

d3fo

• Archived User
« Reply #44 on: March 25, 2005, 06:21:00 AM »

Ive bought a programmer and it should be with me within the next few days...and i'll give it a go thanks for the help and i'll reply with the results

many thanks
d3fo
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 11