xboxscene.org forums

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9

Author Topic: Metal Gear Solid 2 Substance  (Read 619 times)

Rokinreg

• Archived User
Metal Gear Solid 2 Substance
« on: December 06, 2002, 05:18:00 PM »

There are guys out there, much more talented than many of us that can shrink a 4Gig ps2 game down to CDR size, so dont worry about it, it will happen with MGS2 and others.  wink.gif

Mad_Catz

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2002, 08:00:00 PM »

Knowledge is Power...

darylzero

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2002, 02:17:00 PM »

I was wondering if anyone has figured out a way to put MGS on 1 DVD?  Or if there is a way to put it on 2 DVD's and have it still work?

If it is possible, please explain how or point me to the post that explains it.

Thank you.

Happy New Year to everyone.

testerx

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2002, 06:22:00 PM »

just rip it to your hard disk

and its called a hard disk not hard drive...LOL

thanks microCOCK

darylzero

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2002, 09:21:00 PM »

I have the original HDD and I usually burn my games to DVD.  I was just wondering if anyone had figured out a way to make this work as a burned DVD(s).

Dreamcazman

• Archived User
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2002, 12:12:00 AM »

testerx - to be realllly politically correct, it would be called a Hard Disc Drive.  Most people I know call them hard drives, not hard disks tongue.gif

Anyway, I'm not sure about MGS2, you must be able to downsample the movies or something. (the game is mostly movies anyway laugh.gif)  I know you can squeeze Shenmue 2 onto 1 DVD...

darylzero

• Archived User
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2002, 09:27:00 AM »

other than downsampling is there a way to put this on 2 discs?
Anyone?

LinksAwakening

• Archived User
« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2002, 09:56:00 AM »

QUOTE (Dreamcazman @ Dec 31 2002, 07:12 AM)
testerx - to be realllly politically correct, it would be called a Hard Disc Drive.  Most people I know call them hard drives, not hard disks tongue.gif

Anyway, I'm not sure about MGS2, you must be able to downsample the movies or something. (the game is mostly movies anyway laugh.gif)  I know you can squeeze Shenmue 2 onto 1 DVD...

True, the game is mostly "movies". However, I think MGS2's "movies" are generated in real-time, meaning they aren't movie files, they are part of the game's code telling the 3D game models how to move. This means they can't be downsampled. I'm pretty sure that is how the "movies" are done.

If they are just movie files though, then you can just cut off some of the ending movie files so the game fits on one disc, then put the removed movie files back in, and take out the ones you have on the first disc. That way you have 2 discs, both have the game on them, but one has the movies from the beginning of the game and the other disc has the movie files from the end of the game.

However, I'm pretty sure they are generated real-time, so Konami could fit the game onto one disc.

darylzero

• Archived User
« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2002, 05:03:00 PM »

has anyone put the game on 2 discs?

MorfiusX

• Archived User
« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2002, 09:57:00 PM »

MGS2 is big on purpose. They makers did it to thwart people like use who try to copy/backup the game. You can't downsample anything. You can't remove anything. Now, if you look at the files on the disk, you'll see the files are layed out like this: disc1_x.dat and disc2_x.dat. It may be possible to put all the "Disc1" files on one dvd and the "Disc2" files on another. You would have to put the default.xbe on each disk. Here's the real problem. Each file is "padded." The actual content of each files is A LOT smaller than the file. If you open the file in a HEX editor, you'll see they added a bunch of zeros. Like a dummy file within a file. If you try to edit this in any way, the game won't load. So, what we need to try to get some one to do is create a patch for the default.xbe file so it will load on of these files after we take out all the crap. This game is really only around 3 gb.

xMonoxide187x

• Archived User
« Reply #10 on: January 01, 2003, 12:38:00 AM »

blink.gif

shanafan

• Archived User
« Reply #11 on: January 01, 2003, 12:43:00 AM »

Well, you are doing something wrong then

dkoikadabra

• Archived User
« Reply #12 on: January 01, 2003, 12:49:00 AM »

He's putting the damn game into his PC DVD drive and getting the first session, the one that has the movie telling him to put the disc into an XBox.

Mikerocosms

• Archived User
« Reply #13 on: January 02, 2003, 01:06:00 PM »

Ok, Ive gotten as far as getting the game to load up to the Start screen and even as far as picking out your personal preferences. But right after the start of the intro when the instructions are being verbally explained to you it freezes.

I would like to know if anyone has gotten this far on ripping this game yet? If so what were your experiances?

I also understand that most people wont reply but know this, if you do it can help in the ripping of this game.

I will continue trying more methods, I have a few ideas that still may work.

Mike!

LinksAwakening

• Archived User
« Reply #14 on: January 02, 2003, 02:11:00 PM »

QUOTE (Mikerocosms @ Jan 2 2003, 08:06 PM)
Ok, Ive gotten as far as getting the game to load up to the Start screen and even as far as picking out your personal preferences. But right after the start of the intro when the instructions are being verbally explained to you it freezes.

I would like to know if anyone has gotten this far on ripping this game yet? If so what were your experiances?

I also understand that most people wont reply but know this, if you do it can help in the ripping of this game.

I will continue trying more methods, I have a few ideas that still may work.

Mike!

All I know is that there was a 2 DVD release of this game on IRC a while ago. Apparently you had to load the first disc into your HDD and then switch out the 1st disc for the 2nd and then you could play the game. The only bad thing was you had to have a bigger HDD installed, and if you do, the you might as well just rip the game to the HDD.

Basically, as far as I know, the only way to backup this game is to rip it to the HDD or get the 2 DVD release.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9