xboxscene.org forums

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Should I Change To Mxm ?  (Read 70 times)

Dalma

• Archived User
Should I Change To Mxm ?
« on: July 28, 2003, 04:39:00 AM »

that depends, if you want the future you should go for mxm...

Dalma

• Archived User
Should I Change To Mxm ?
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2003, 04:46:00 AM »

QUOTE (Kernal @ Jul 28 2003, 12:42 PM)
Sure do, what does it offer that other dash's don't ?

check out this website http://home.earthlin...hboard/Main.htm

check http://www.allxboxskins.com and just feel the difference between mxm and the rest of the dashboards.

read the sticky topics in mxmforum, they reveal alot of cool stuff still to be implemented in mxm...

ps. check this link as well http://www.writersga...AboutChoice.wmv

BenJeremy

• Archived User
Should I Change To Mxm ?
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2003, 04:48:00 AM »

QUOTE (Kernal @ Jul 28 2003, 08:36 AM)
I am using EVOX dash at the moment, could anyone sum up in a couple of lines why I should swap to MXM dash.
What extras are there? Can I still back up games to my HDD ?

Thanks in advance.

Kernal

Well, it's not an either-or proposition, for one thing - while MXM **WILL** have BIOS flashing and partition formatting in the near future, those can also be done from Evo-X running as a secondary application.

IGR? I hope to soon integrate BIOS Loading (like the Phoenix loader) into MXM. No need for buggy dash-based IGR that most turn off anyway.

Music? Sound? MXM has it, Evo-X doesn't.

Screensaver? Hmm.... boring screen dimming or a real, active saver?

Video previews? Thumbnails? MXM has 'em, Evo-X don't.

Active skins? Fonts? MXM again... Evo-X still hasn't shown up at the gate.

Password protected game launching? You guessed it, MXM has that feature, and Evo-X ignores the masses once again.

Custom Help screens for your games? Oh, sorry, Evo-X, MXM has them, and you seem to have left off another great feature.

How about headlines pulled down from your favorite Xbox web sites? Ohhh... sorry, Evo-X, you aren't capable of that sort of thing, while MXM is giving it's users the goods via RSS/RDF newsfeeds!

Well, Evo-X DOES have an FTP Server, right? Well, so does MXM.... it's also got working PASV mode (for FXP transfers) and is typically faster than Evo-X in head-to-head tests.

Well, there's COUNTLESS skins for Evo-X.... of course, if you want 30 versions of static wallpaper backgrounds of somebody's Ricer Racer or latest cover girl... MXM's skin collection keeps growing, with a healthy 65-70+ skins already, and can easily incorporate Evo-X skins, if you like those.

Hmmmmm.... why are we even considering Evo-X? It hasn't even gotten out of the gate!!  tongue.gif  It's time is rapidly passing, with MXM and Avalaunch getting up to speed, it's more a matter of presentation (since the few remaining Evo-X exclusive 'features' are rarely used and can always be used as a secondary app).

Evo-X looks cool when people see a modded Xbox for the first time, but rather bedraggled after they witness the power of a great active skin on MXM.

BenJeremy

• Archived User
Should I Change To Mxm ?
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2003, 04:54:00 AM »

QUOTE (boxorox @ Jul 28 2003, 08:50 AM)
I haven't completely switched yet, but i'm gonna once i'm comfy with it.  I t is so configurable.  So impressive to look at.  Preview video and sound should be enough to convert anyone.  You can still run all the apps you do from Evox.  For backing games to the hard drive.....You would still use the particular app that ur currently using in Evox.  It is such an awsome dash.

I plan on incorporating a Game ripper into MXM, too though... including media patcher, and perhaps auto-renaming/patching faculty.  biggrin.gif

blatchy

• Archived User
Should I Change To Mxm ?
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2003, 05:03:00 AM »

Just like the name of the skin I couldn't find this weekend (but Ben found for me):  It's all about choice.

And MXM just offers way much more.  

I think I spend more time tweaking and improving my dash than playing games LOL.  It'll work fine just with a default install...but once you start messing with it, you can't stop.

Kernal

• Archived User
Should I Change To Mxm ?
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2003, 05:10:00 AM »

WOW, bloody hell, cannot wait to get home this aft and install MXM, is it easy to install ?
I have A,B,C,D,E,F,X,Y,Z partitions at the moment, will I need to keep all these ?
I use HDDLOADER to backup games to my large HDD, will this still be possible
Finally is the xml (evox.ini equivlent) easy to configure ?

Thanks for the prompt replies.

Kernal

blatchy

• Archived User
Should I Change To Mxm ?
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2003, 05:13:00 AM »

QUOTE (Kernal @ Jul 28 2003, 08:10 AM)
my large HDD, will this still be possible

I had MXM autosearch my Apps folder and HDD loader is listed there. MXM simply find the app and lists it as a menu option.  That's how I can load backups onto the hard drive.  When I add any app, I simply install a new folder within the main app folder, load the application within that folder, reset the menu cache, and it automatically finds the new prog.  It's that simple.

And from someone who doesn't really know XML, I find the language to be very easy to read and to grasp.  Just read through the forums and check out BenJeremy's User Guide.  You can get to it by clicking the tutorials link that is always listed within his signature.

BenJeremy

• Archived User
Should I Change To Mxm ?
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2003, 05:17:00 AM »

QUOTE (Kernal @ Jul 28 2003, 09:10 AM)
WOW, bloody hell, cannot wait to get home this aft and install MXM, is it easy to install ?
I have A,B,C,D,E,F,X,Y,Z partitions at the moment, will I need to keep all these ?
I use HDDLOADER to backup games to my large HDD, will this still be possible

Thanks for the prompt replies.

Kernal

Well, there's no A or B, and you'll have access to C, D (DVD), E, anf F partitions, which are the "useful" ones for Evo-X as well as X, Y, and Z, which are much more useful to MXM users (screenshots of MXM go into "Z:" and I have some neat plans for "X:" in the future)

HDDLoader works fine with MXM. I would also recommend xISO xFER from the PC side to manage your backups.

XML is actually easier, once you get used to it. You can check it syntactically by opening it with Internet Explorer, and there are several Freeware editors to make the task easier. Most of those settings will soon be available via the System UI soon, anyway.

Kernal

• Archived User
Should I Change To Mxm ?
« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2003, 05:27:00 AM »

Thanks again, just been looking at some skins, they look awsome !
How does MXM display game previews, is this done automatically or do I have to configure it?

Kernal

blatchy

• Archived User
Should I Change To Mxm ?
« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2003, 05:29:00 AM »

I love MXM but if I could request one thing, it would be to see an icon of Peter North in a Mario outfit.  BentPeter?

Kernal

• Archived User
Should I Change To Mxm ?
« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2003, 05:49:00 AM »

What program do I need to use to convert / cut & paste a video off the
game disc into a format that MXM can understand and use ?

Thanks

boxorox

• Archived User
Should I Change To Mxm ?
« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2003, 05:54:00 AM »

So far I've downloaded most all of my vids. Some games have .wmv files that you can pull out and use.  I know there is a tutorial somewhere for converting .bik files to .wmv

I will be looking into this.  I took the simplest quickest path to getting MXM up and running.

oswald

• Archived User
Should I Change To Mxm ?
« Reply #12 on: July 28, 2003, 06:00:00 AM »

You can download videos from me....

Kernal

• Archived User
Should I Change To Mxm ?
« Reply #13 on: July 28, 2003, 06:26:00 AM »

Can I have MXM running without anything else on my XBOX, I don't need Evox or anthing like that do I ?

Cheers

Kernal

BenJeremy

• Archived User
Should I Change To Mxm ?
« Reply #14 on: July 28, 2003, 06:31:00 AM »

QUOTE (Kernal @ Jul 28 2003, 10:26 AM)
Can I have MXM running without anything else on my XBOX, I don't need Evox or anthing like that do I ?

Cheers

Kernal

Well, I always recomment keeping Evo-X and other utility apps handy on the system. It doesn't hurt to have them in a utils directory on your F:, for example.

Even better is to run X-Select to have several dashboards at your convenience on startup.
Pages: [1] 2