xboxscene.org forums

Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Opinions Needed For Next Tv Purchase  (Read 713 times)

mrRobinson

• Archived User
Opinions Needed For Next Tv Purchase
« on: May 24, 2004, 11:17:00 AM »

It's around that time when I'm ready for a TV upgrade.  I want to keep the price range around $3k +/- $1k.  Besides price range, other things I'm concerned with are #/type of inputs, and how I'm hooking everything up to it, especially the xbox (with the next xbox in mind as well).  Plus I want widescreen, about 50", and 720p and 1080i support.  

So I THINK I've narrowed down my decision to the Sony KF50WE610 or the Samsung HLN507W.

I think DLP or LCD rear projection are the best quality for the price you can get these days.  Things to consider that I'm hooking up to this:
1. HD Tivo
2. DVD Player (possibly the samsung DVI one)
3. Xbox (one or two of 'em)
4. Surround Sound (no clue which yet)

Anyway, does anyone have any opinion on my choices here or other TV's I should take a look at?  Anyone know of newer TV's in the pipeline that would cause me to wait a couple more months?  Ideally I'd like to wait for a 50" LCD to hit 5k but we are probably a few years away from that being sammy's 46" that isn't even out yet will be 10k.

Mr Ed

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2004, 09:54:00 AM »

QUOTE (mrRobinson @ May 24 2004, 10:17 AM)
Ideally I'd like to wait for a 50" LCD to hit 5k but we are probably a few years away from that being sammy's 46" that isn't even out yet will be 10k.

Uh, I've seen the Sony 60" KDF-60XBR950 LCD (which is a damn nice picture, and includes an integrated tuner with FireWire) for $4799.  It MSRPs at $5499 but you should be able to get them down to $4799 IMHO.  Only problem is, supply is limited.  My local store is back ordered 3 weeks.

And to top it all off, the local Sony rep. told me in 3 months a new set will replace this one and look better and either be the same price or a little cheaper.  I'm very much stuck in the wait and see space.   sad.gif

Mr Ed

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2004, 10:02:00 AM »

Don't get me wrong though, the TVs you are looking at are cool too.  If you follow my advice you may never buy an HDTV as you are always waiting for the next best thing.   blink.gif

mrRobinson

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2004, 10:23:00 AM »

You see that?  I was sooo ready to buy and now i'm leaning towards waiting... That TV you posted is awesome.  And I found it for even cheaper here.

But in 3 months there will be a replacement for this and at the same price?  Damn, I've waited this long though, I guess I can re-evaluate the market a few months from now.  I just love that its larger, has built in HD tuner (big plus, worth the extra money right there), AND better picture quality than the two I was looking at.

TheWeasel

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2004, 12:28:00 PM »

You may also want to look into the Philips 55" LCOS model 55pl977s.

It uses LCOS which is liquid crystals on a silicon. The advantage is that you get the no burn-in and crispness of the DLP sets but with a lower price tag. This is the tv tht I am getting ready to buy (2-3 weeks before I'll be ready to pull the trigger). Online you can find it for $3k, in my local Fry's store it's going for $3499. I've seen it in person running a soccer match in HD, and the picture even made my wife go "wow" :)

I had been looking into the Sony 60" kf60we610, and I found the picture on this one to be noticably sharper. I would say that the picture quaity on this set is on par with the Samsung DLPs, but for a lot less.

Philips did release an LCOS set about a year ago that had some problems. It was discontinued, and lots of people have a bad taste in their mouths about LCOS now, so keep that in mind as you research. The issues have supposedly been worked out now, and this tv is being pretty well recieved on the av forums. Of course, I would recommend the extended warranty...just in case ;)

ChrisF

• Archived User
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2004, 12:28:00 PM »

If you could talk about your room from a lighting, dimension, size restriction, and viewing angle perspective it would help out.

A few random thoughts that may or may not have already occured to you:

Do your very best to buy local at a store that will allow you to audition and swap out a set if you find it doesn't work right in your home.  Local service if there's a problem is not to be discounted.

If you have a room condusive for it, front projection is another option (fairly light controlled).  There are some very good DLP and LCD options out there and the screen size of a front projector is unrivaled.  I don't know whether your 50" was an actual physical room limitation but I thought I'd throw it out there as many people don't even think about it and a 100" screen can make gaming...emersive to say the least.

Don't overlook CRT technology totally (if using as a front projector you need a very light controlled environment but RPTV is much more flexible).  If you'll be playing a huge amount of games where it is almost an exclusive gaming machine it may not be the best choice due to burn-in potential. However, a reasonable amount is no problem at all if you have it set up correctly.  Picture quality is excellent and the value for your dollar is very high - despite the high prices of new technology they have yet to equal the picture quality of a properly calibrated CRT.  Form factor can be an obstacle along with wide viewing angles and direct sunlight exposure.  Large screen sizes are also obtained economically.

Home theater audio gets expensive fast if you aren't aware already.  You can get some pretty decent deals on the used market from people turning over their equipment though.  You can get a lot more for your money.  Better to opt for an older high quality amp/receiver than a new one with lots of functions and shitty inards.  That being said if you have a moderate budget for this stuff, I really like the Rockets (good looking and they have been very well received).  They may or may not be the best to your ear in that range but moving up significantly in sound quality from that point starts to push you into prices that can get very painful to albeit a dedicated audiophile or someone with lots of free cash.

mrRobinson

• Archived User
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2004, 12:44:00 PM »

If you could talk about your room from a lighting, dimension, size restriction, and viewing angle perspective it would help out.

20'X20', 10' ceiling, too bright (4 tall windows), and I can keep the viewing angle dead on or maybe 45 degrees off.
If you have a room condusive for it, front projection is another option (fairly light controlled).

I'd rather not go with front projection.  At least for my family room.  If I ever get a theatre type room then that would be my first choice.
Don't overlook CRT technology totally

I have overlooked it a bit, but not totally.  I've considered the sony kv34xbr910 which is an incredible set.  But i'm looking forward to some "newer" technology if you know what I mean.  

And audio I haven't researched yet.  Once I do I'll create the appropriate budget and see what I can get.  I'll take a look at rocket though since you recommend it.

Mr Ed

• Archived User
« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2004, 11:21:00 AM »

QUOTE (TheWeasel @ May 24 2004, 11:28 AM)
You may also want to look into the Philips 55" LCOS model 55pl977s.

I saw the Phillips next to a Samsung DLP next to a Sony KDF-60XBR950.

The Samsung and Sony looked considerably better than the Phillips which had a duller image, and some odd pixelization.  It could've been just that set.

Strangely the Sony seemed as bright as the Samsung DLP but at another location that had the same two TVs next to each other, the Samsung looked brighter than the Sony.  Go fig.  dry.gif

ChrisF

• Archived User
« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2004, 05:16:00 PM »

Store showrooms are a great idea but it just never works out that you can get any confidence when comparing quality sets.  Even the most knowledgeable and discriminating people will punt to a large degree on the showroom experience.  The lighting is so far removed from normal and the sets get messed with all day long to the point that even if a store did take the trouble to set them up they are no doubt all screwed very quickly.

I would understand everything about the technologies, match it to your environment and viewing habits, see what sets most people at home theater sites are buying and then get a good feel for what the knowledgeable people (hobbiests, techs, etc..) like and dislike about the models.  Some good forums are www.avsforum.com (stop by the gaming forum too), www.hometheaterspot.com, www.hometheaterforum.com etc...Just like here, read, search, post and take opinions with a grain of salt.  I think that you should be able to narrow down your choices and get a good amount of confidence in your decision.

Once you are ready, go to a store and check them out.  I would bring a few good DVDs (some bright and some with good black levels - Finding Nemo/Matrix) and a basic calibration disc like Avia/DVE.  Set it up with the user menu and check it out.  Spend some time watching - it's easier at a high-end store than a big box store.  Make sure you are happy with what you see and don't get any major issues like the DLP rainbow or LCD screendoor.  For the most part it's going to be really hard to simulate home lighting and viewing environment but if you are going to spend this kind of money you might as well go and kick the tires before you take it to the test track.  It may save your from an obvious issue.

I can't stress enough the advantage of dealing with a local dealer who will let you audition and swap the set out if you don't like it.  The true test is getting it in your home and doing some serious watching under normal lighting and viewing conditions (many a loved store set is quickly hated at home despite the best of beginnings).  There is nothing worse than getting a great deal on a TV over the net thinking you can live with any issues and ending up taking a bath on it 6 months later when you can't live with the issues anymore (it happens).

As far as your room, I don't think there are any inherent limitations other than it possibly being too bright for a front projector (not an issue for you).  I would really keep CRT based RPTVs in the mix as a back burner default just in case.  A lot of people have gone looking for the new technologies and ended up feeling that they were going to get the best picture regardless of price with a CRT (I was one a year ago - I just didn't get the wow).  It may not be cool but with even moderate attention to proper settings you can get a jaw dropping picture that is big and cheap (Porsche picture for a Ford price).  It's at least worth using as a reference point anyway as I have yet to meet a dedicated video enthusiast who honestly thinks that the CRT picture quality can be beaten by today's alternate technologies under ideal viewing conditions.

That's the best of my advice.  At the end of the day it's going to be your money and your happiness so hopefully that helps you maximize both and sends you to the right places to research.  Good luck and make sure you update as you work through the process.

BTW - Onix Rockets can be found here: http://www.av123.com/ I don't own this set but a lot of fairly well respected people at avsforum and other sites love them.  The sub has also been very well reviewed although it is stronger in musical accurasy than deep earth shattering rumble but you could always grab a different sub depending upon your preference.  They would certainly be on my list to audition.  You might find someone in your area that will let you come over for a listen.

Mr Ed

• Archived User
« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2004, 03:21:00 PM »

QUOTE (Mr Ed @ May 24 2004, 10:54 AM)
And to top it all off, the local Sony rep. told me in 3 months a new set will replace this one and look better and either be the same price or a little cheaper.  I'm very much stuck in the wait and see space.   sad.gif

For the record I've learned since then from people I trust (the guy who told me 3 months was a local Sony rep. but I don't know him personally although a friend vouched for him) that the current KDF-60XBR950 won't be EoL (End of Lifed) until November.

cnelson

• Archived User
« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2004, 05:33:00 PM »

Don't order a TV from Abes of Maine.  Those guys are just bait and switchers.   Their normal MO is to have you call after ordering and tell that you must pay 300-500 for shipping! :) Check their bizrate and resleller ratings.

Onecall.com is one of the few reputable and reasonably priced online stores for HDTVs.  

This post has been edited by cnelson on May 29 2004, 12:34 AM

fin1581

• Archived User
« Reply #11 on: May 30, 2004, 06:06:00 AM »

I work at Best Buy and would definitely say you picked out some great TV's.  The Samsung 50"DLP is absolutely amazing - the best picture overall IMO.  That one costs $3500.  We also have the RCA DLP's but they cannot even touch the picture quality of the Sammy.  Also, the Sony 50" LCD is a great picture as well.  It is by far the best LCD projo that we have.  It is close to the quality of the Sammy DLP but the DLP is a little better on clarity.  The Sony is $3200.  Both have really nice picture quality and its not even through HD.  For the price though, you picked the best TVs.

ChrisF

• Archived User
« Reply #12 on: May 30, 2004, 06:58:00 AM »

My friend got a great deal on a Sammy DLP about 6 weeks ago.  He used Sears pricematching + 10% to purchase the 50" for around $2700.  Sears won't pricematch internet shops but he knew of a shop in NYC that does a lot of internet business but also maintains a physical location.  Myself and others have dealt quite a bit with Sears and if they carry what you are looking for their audition/return/service policies are almost impossible to beat.  I think they offer somewhere around 6-8 weeks (vs. 30 days for many good retailers) where you can have a set in your home and still swap it out for a different size, brand, or technology.  This is a nice option especially when it is very hard to guage how a set is going to look 'in-house'.

mrRobinson

• Archived User
« Reply #13 on: May 30, 2004, 07:18:00 AM »

Thanks a lot for all the recommendations/suggestions here.  Actually about a month ago I was going to buy the samsung dlp from sears cause the sales guy said that because of price match he'd sell it to me for $3k.  And I know they are more expensive than the sony's and that was cheaper than I've seen the sony's sold for.  

Anyway at this point I'd like to wait and see what this next tv after the  KDF-60XBR950 is that Mr. Ed referred to.  Let me know if you hear anything about that.

fin1581

• Archived User
« Reply #14 on: May 30, 2004, 06:49:00 PM »

The 50" Sammy DLP went on clearance today at Best Buy for $3299.  So I would assume the new model would be coming out soon.
Pages: [1] 2 3