xboxscene.org forums

Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Opinions Needed For Next Tv Purchase  (Read 711 times)

fahrenheit

• Archived User
Opinions Needed For Next Tv Purchase
« Reply #15 on: May 31, 2004, 06:59:00 PM »

Just a note in regard to the Samsung DVD player, I recall reading about how using the DVI output, you have no internal control over calibrating the players brightness/contrast/colour etc. It has edge enhancement that cannot be turned off and also suffers from image jitter! Worth investigating before purchase.

mcsenerd

• Archived User
« Reply #16 on: June 01, 2004, 10:49:00 AM »

I was under the impression that the none of the component inputs on the Sammy DLP's were wideband...Only one set for 1080i/720p, another for 480p, etc...is this true? Does anyone know for sure that has one?

Mr Ed

• Archived User
« Reply #17 on: June 01, 2004, 09:07:00 PM »

QUOTE (fin1581 @ May 30 2004, 05:49 PM)
The 50" Sammy DLP went on clearance today at Best Buy for $3299.  So I would assume the new model would be coming out soon.

I was at Ultimate this last weekend.  They have the 61" Samsung listed at $4499.  The salesguy said I could have the floor model for $3499.

I passed because it lacks firewire and an internal tuner, but I'm posting so other people will perhaps get a good deal.  beerchug.gif

Mr Ed

• Archived User
« Reply #18 on: June 04, 2004, 09:49:00 PM »

cool.gif

mrRobinson

• Archived User
« Reply #19 on: June 05, 2004, 04:17:00 AM »

Wow, that's awesome.  Maybe take a pic of your dash loading up on it.  You getting any dvd player?  What do you do for your HD signal, local or a digital cable?  A friend of mine signed up for voom and likes it much better than Directv's offering or his cable company.

ChrisF

• Archived User
« Reply #20 on: June 05, 2004, 08:19:00 AM »

QUOTE (Mr Ed @ Jun 5 2004, 06:49 AM)
Well, for the record, I took the plunge and got the Sony KDF-60XBR950.  I got them down to $4500 and at that price from a local retailer I couldn't resist.  

It's being delivered Monday, so I'll have to report back after everything is hooked up.  I also got a D-VHS JVC VCR so I can record HD, and I already ordered some movies on D-VHS so I get them in their full 1080i glory.

I'm pretty stoked, and having trouble waiting.  cool.gif

With your visits to retailers and research on new models I figured you were either in the biz or in the hunt for a new display. biggrin.gif

Congrats on the purchase.  Be sure to post back and let us know what you think.  

Maybe now we start a thread listing our A/V setups and post pictures?  Your new display would make a nice start.  It would certainly liven up the forum with some interesting stuff (besides the generic..."How do I enable HD resolutions on my 19" 1978 Black and White set").

mrRobinson

• Archived User
« Reply #21 on: June 05, 2004, 10:04:00 AM »

QUOTE (ChrisF @ Jun 5 2004, 12:19 PM)
Maybe now we start a thread listing our A/V setups and post pictures?  Your new display would make a nice start.  It would certainly liven up the forum with some interesting stuff (besides the generic..."How do I enable HD resolutions on my 19" 1978 Black and White set").

I think that's a good idea.  I'll wait for Mr. Ed to start it off though.  

Just looked at that TV again... it's pretty damn sweet.

mrRobinson

• Archived User
« Reply #22 on: June 06, 2004, 07:06:00 PM »

Oooh, I just came across the native resolution of the Sony KDF-60XBR950 60” LCD Rear-Projection TV and its: 1386x788

So it can't do 1080i natively, which isn't a big deal but if you have a choice I'd go with 720p when playing anything.

i always thought 720p looked better than 1080i but after reading this I understand a bit more as to why.

Mr Ed

• Archived User
« Reply #23 on: June 06, 2004, 07:21:00 PM »

QUOTE (mrRobinson @ Jun 6 2004, 08:06 PM)
So it can't do 1080i natively, which isn't a big deal but if you have a choice I'd go with 720p when playing anything.

Yep.  I originally said I wouldn't get anything that couldn't do 1080p native (that was like 5 years ago when I made that decision), however, the technology is just moving way to slow.  It's still $20,000+ to get something that support 1080p native, so I decided to compromise.  The other thing that was important to me was to avoid burn in, which left me pretty much with DLP, LCD, or LCoS.

I'll report back when it's setup.  beerchug.gif

Mr Ed

• Archived User
« Reply #24 on: June 06, 2004, 07:28:00 PM »

QUOTE (mrRobinson @ Jun 5 2004, 05:17 AM)
You getting any dvd player? 

I've had a progressive scan DVD player for a while, so I'll just use that.  It's a cheap Akai but it'll do 480p and I'll let the TV up-convert to native res.

QUOTE (mrRobinson @ Jun 5 2004, 05:17 AM)
What do you do for your HD signal, local or a digital cable?

For content, I've got a D-VHS VCR so I can buy movies (although only about 40) in 1080i resolution.  I also plan on installing an antenna and getting OTA HD from local channels.  I use Cox as a cable provider, and when they start offering an HD PVR (Tivo type device) which I'm told with be the Scientific Atlanta 8000HD, I'll probably sign up for HD service.  So far their HD channel selection is pretty slim.  For now, I'll just use the OTA to get local programming and my D-VHS VCR for time-shifting shows.

I considered Direct TV and Dish Networking, and I was ready to give Dish my credit card number but then they said their HD PVR was backordered and they couldn't promise me a time I told them no way.  I'm glad I did as I've been reading that most people are sending their 921s back very unhappy.

Voom has a lot of HD channels, but not many I care about.  It's like they are more interested in just getting HD signals than trying to find good content.  I'm not going to watch a program just because it's HD, I expect I will watch all the stuff I do now, but when it is in HD, enjoy it more.  beerchug.gif

mrRobinson

• Archived User
« Reply #25 on: June 06, 2004, 07:31:00 PM »

yea i was just reading about sony's sxrd.  I think they'll have something out in the fall with that.  But i don't think I'll be waiting for something with 1080 native support, 720p will be light years better than the crap I have now so I'll be impressed regardless.

Edit: (just so i don't keep doubling up posts)

yea I will prob go with directv cause that who i have now and it'll be easiest for me but i've read they can compress as low as 5-8mbits whereas voom will only go as low as 12 or so.  So in theory you'll get a much better HD signal from voom than directv or dish.  But again, i'm not sure if my eye will notice the difference.

Mr Ed

• Archived User
« Reply #26 on: June 06, 2004, 07:44:00 PM »

sad.gif

ChrisF

• Archived User
« Reply #27 on: June 07, 2004, 06:42:00 AM »

QUOTE (Mr Ed @ Jun 7 2004, 04:44 AM)
You can get Sony's SXRD technology now in their Qualia 004 SXRD front projector.  It's only $30,000.  sad.gif

I believe there was a conversation at AVS regarding the bulb price for this unit - I think it was somewhere in the $3K range and rated for 2000 hours.  I think the unit comes with 2 bulbs though but either way those bulbs are more than the full retail price of my display.  Not that I follow equipment in this range very closely as this is the equivalent of using a Ferrari for a daily driver and getting the routine maint. bills.  Simply too rich for my wallet but I certainly hope someone I know gets one so I can play with his toys jester.gif .

mrRobinson

• Archived User
« Reply #28 on: August 10, 2004, 09:07:00 AM »

QUOTE (Mr Ed @ May 24 2004, 11:57 AM)
And to top it all off, the local Sony rep. told me in 3 months a new set will replace this one and look better and either be the same price or a little cheaper.  I'm very much stuck in the wait and see space.   sad.gif

So this new set I think would be a  KDF-60XS955
Not too much is known about it but I might want to wait for it since it should have (2) HDMI inputs and maybe (1) DVI.  I'll be hooking up an HD Tivo (one hdmi) then a new dvd player (another maybe or the dvi).  And of course you have to consider the next xbox...

Then there is that Toshiba 52HM84 but I really want to see more details about the new sony RP's coming out within the next month.

There is a nice thread about the 3 (I think) new lines of rp's from sony in the avs forum but still nothing set in stone.

Edit: Here is a spec sheet on the KDF-60XS955

Mr Ed

• Archived User
« Reply #29 on: August 10, 2004, 01:37:00 PM »

beerchug.gif
Pages: 1 [2] 3