xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: New Topic For The Skilled  (Read 1399 times)

AEnema

• Archived User
New Topic For The Skilled
« on: November 19, 2004, 08:55:00 PM »

Hi all,

You have all been an inspiration to me, because as far as I know, I'm the only one I know that has done things to my Xbox.

My question today is this:

Like all people, Halo 2 is out and I want to play it. Finally got it to work (kinda) except for the campaign stuff. Multi works fine. I figured I needed to update my dash. I had always stayed away from "Xbox Live" and all that Jazz cuz I thought I would fry my xbox and as well as be banned from live if I ever chose to get it. Anyhow, I figured updating my dash would be the most appropriate thing to do.

When I try updating my dash with any games I have, I get Error 21 after I install it. It looks like it updates fine, but as soon as I update it, I try to run M$Dash, and I get the error.

Of course, I have a backup and I can FTP and correct the problem, but I would like an updated dash if I can. Any insight to this issue?

-----------------------------------------------
Xbox version 1.0
Xbit 1.0
40GB Samsung HDD
Samsung DVD Drive
Normally run EvoX 8 3595

This post has been edited by AEnema: Nov 21 2004, 05:21 AM

Psilocybe

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2004, 10:50:00 PM »

error 21 was VERY common when xbox live first came out because at the time there were only 2 ways to boot a homebrew dash.  1 name the dash xboxdash.xbe or 2 ybox.xbe
those who had it named xboxdash.xbe and the original ms dash xbe file named to something else (such as msxboxdash.xbe) were the ones that had the problems
this is because when the dash was updated and patched live tried to overwrite, update, or patch the wrong xbe file

so basicly if your xboxdash.xbe file was not actually the ms dash xbe file when you updated to the live dash (or to a newer live dash) then this is what caused your problem
to fix it if that were the case you will just have to erase your c partition and rebuild it with a fresh copy of the ms dashboard files and then add your homebrew dash again, this time name the homebrew dash xbe file to evoxdash.xbe or something, depends on the bios you are using.  x2 4981+ boot to avalaunch.xbe evoxdash.xbe mxmdash.xbe and nexgen.xbe as well as xboxdash.xbe as the last option
this allows you to leave the ms dash files intact and untouched so they will boot with chip off, but will still boot your alternate dash with chip on

if that isn't what happened to your xbox 1 i just wasted about 2 min typing, and 2 the error 21 could be just about anything, but rebuilding c partition could still help

AEnema

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2004, 04:01:00 PM »

Thank you very much for the reply, its greatly appreciated.

As far as I know, I have not changed the xboxdash.xbe file at all. On my C drive, I have evoxdash.xbe and evox.ini on there. I don't believe that that's where my error 21 originated.

I'm beginning to wonder if I should reformat my drive (yet again, haha) and see if I use a computer program to set up my HDD.

I'm beginning to wonder if the EEPROM number changes when you update your dash.

I just copied everything to the new Samsung 40 gig drive of mine, and things work good as long as I don't update.. maybe its a HDD problem? EEPROM?

Like doesn't the HDD get a certain code when its in the xbox and as a result, it changes, or tries to when you update the dash?

Just an idea.. I'm at work right now, and typing this out is sketchy, so I better go, but I'll be home later on.. hope someone can help me out... Thanks!!

-----------EDIT---------

I was also wondering if its because I have an X-Bit 1.0 chip, using the 3595 M8 Bios? Maybe the chip isn't resting perfectly in there? I get EvoX and stuff, but I'm just trying to narrow out the problem...

This post has been edited by AEnema: Nov 21 2004, 05:18 AM

AEnema

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2004, 03:13:00 AM »

UPDATE:

Well, from what I have found out, it looks as if its the harddrive that is the problem.

Its wierd I guess, I don't know if its because the harddrive takes longer to load than what the Xbox likes or what, but I can tell now after running my stock drive with no issues, that all my problems have now pointed towards my 40 gig harddrive. I guess it just means that I have to go with another drive, or keep the stock one in there...

What a bummer.

Well, we'll see what the next harddrive will yield... and maybe there will be no more problems... :D

Psilocybe

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2004, 12:02:00 PM »

yes but your stock hard drive also contains all the correct files for the msdash so it could still be the files from the other drive are the problem