xboxscene.org forums

Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Insomniac: Why Resistance Needs 22 Gigs  (Read 371 times)

nickthegreat

• Archived User
Insomniac: Why Resistance Needs 22 Gigs
« Reply #30 on: September 14, 2006, 01:58:00 PM »

QUOTE(Heretic-666 @ Sep 14 2006, 08:18 PM) View Post

I feel like the definition of hypocrisy was just written out for this thread seeing some of these "passionate ???" comments come out.

As has the definition of nonsensical ^^

Mr Invader

• Archived User
« Reply #31 on: September 14, 2006, 08:03:00 PM »

This is surprising

From what i hear, Resistance's AI isn't too shabby. In fact, i heard that it was excellent.

I wonder if this is (more) hype, possibly (overall) false, or it might be baised (considering this news coming from IGN, it probably is very baised.)

KAGE360

• Archived User
« Reply #32 on: September 15, 2006, 10:04:00 AM »

QUOTE(Mr Invader @ Sep 14 2006, 10:10 PM) View Post

This is surprising

From what i hear, Resistance's AI isn't too shabby. In fact, i heard that it was excellent.

I wonder if this is (more) hype, possibly (overall) false, or it might be baised (considering this news coming from IGN, it probably is very baised.)

im assuming that you are surprised because of the ps3's reported lack to run good AI?  

well its still possible to have comparable AI on the ps3, you just have to work around it's environment and in the end this may result in 5x the work needed but its still possible.  

seeing as how CoD2 had some of the best AI ever and CoD3 is reported to be even better with no complaints on the ps3 version ever mentioned, im sure this news about resistance is true.

Mr Invader

• Archived User
« Reply #33 on: September 15, 2006, 04:19:00 PM »

QUOTE(KAGE360 @ Sep 15 2006, 11:11 AM) View Post

im assuming that you are surprised because of the ps3's reported lack to run good AI?  

well its still possible to have comparable AI on the ps3, you just have to work around it's environment and in the end this may result in 5x the work needed but its still possible.  

seeing as how CoD2 had some of the best AI ever and CoD3 is reported to be even better with no complaints on the ps3 version ever mentioned, im sure this news about resistance is true.

Yeah, i get ya

bluie

• Archived User
« Reply #34 on: September 21, 2006, 11:42:00 PM »

QUOTE(Exist2Resist @ Sep 22 2006, 02:24 AM) View Post

Let me shatter your illusion of BD being better than DVD, well here it goes, the load times on 360's dvd's are way, way faster than anything BD can handle, and because M$ sells region specific games they dont need 20 GB of storage 9 GB is plenty. That's all there's to it.

So suddenly region-locked games is a good thing for the consumer? Yeah right..

To me everyone claiming with absolute ceirtainity that more than 9 gigs per game is completely unneeded sounds suspiciosly alike people claiming that "Nobody will ever need more than 640k RAM!"...
Oh well. Go figure.

And to anyone wanting either MS or Sony to fail: Stupid!
Nothing better for the consumer than a very intensive - but non lethal -  console war!

twistedsymphony

• Recovered User
« Reply #35 on: September 22, 2006, 05:48:00 AM »

QUOTE(bluie @ Sep 22 2006, 01:49 AM) View Post

So suddenly region-locked games is a good thing for the consumer? Yeah right..

To me everyone claiming with absolute ceirtainity that more than 9 gigs per game is completely unneeded sounds suspiciosly alike people claiming that "Nobody will ever need more than 640k RAM!"...
Oh well. Go figure.

And to anyone wanting either MS or Sony to fail: Stupid!
Nothing better for the consumer than a very intensive - but non lethal -  console war!

Regardless of what he's calming the Xbox 360 isn't region locked... the console knows what region it belongs to (for reasons of power and output frequency compatibility) but it's left up to developers to lock their game to that region information or not... it's the same exact methods that Sony is using with the PS3. The Wii on the other hand is required to be locked for Nintendo certification (contrary to early reports, they were later squashed by Nintendo HQ).

No matter if there is region locking or not there's no reason all the different region info needs to reside on the same disc. You can put localized content on a disc without region locking, if you make a disc for Japan and have no intention of selling it in the US you aren't going to put US localization data on it anyway, region locking or not.

I also don't think anyone is saying that "more than 9 gigs per game is completely unneeded" or that we are claiming it with "absolute certainty". I think no one can no for sure. But estimates point that 9 gigs is sufficient for most titles this generation. Let me say that again. It's been estimated (best guesses) that 9GB is sufficient for most (a high percentage but not all) titles this generation (the next 5 years).

Besides the whole question is not whether the extra space is needed AT ALL the debate is if the extra space is so desperately needed that it would have been beneficial to gamers if MS delayed their consoles launch a whole year, added $200 to the price of the console, and added another $5 to $10 (on top of the existing $10) to the price of games for the space benefit of a blue laser disc.

Similarly you have to question if the Blu-Ray's added space is similarly beneficial to Sony's PS3... without blu-Ray you could have been playing the PS3 this time last year, you could have bought it for $300 or $400  (possibly even cheaper) and game prices would be $5 to $10 cheaper.

Do I think there will be games this generation that need more then 9GB of space? YES I DO... Do I think that number of games will be so large that the added costs across the board and years wait would be worth not having to swap discs on a few select titles... NO I DO NOT.
Pages: 1 2 [3]