xboxscene.org forums

Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Insomniac: Why Resistance Needs 22 Gigs  (Read 405 times)

redwolf

• Archived User
Insomniac: Why Resistance Needs 22 Gigs
« on: September 12, 2006, 02:14:00 PM »

just to follow up to this topic
http://forums.xbox-s...howtopic=541966

now they giving reason as why...
Part of the reason for the game's vast storage requirements, which are over three times what the largest Xbox 360 game can handle, are due to the game's massive, detailed-packed environments. Price explains that many levels and sub-levels take up over 300 megs each, even after compression. Price expects over 40 "different large loaded areas" on the final disc, between the game's single-player campaign and multiplayer arenas.

read full here

redwolf

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2006, 02:33:00 PM »

QUOTE(Storm28 @ Sep 12 2006, 09:27 PM) View Post

Did you see the next paragraph?:
Since the disks are region free, they are putting everything on one disk. So that means multiple versions of the same video and audio. No wonder it's taking 22G.

yeah i read it.... but 300megs per level? even if you compress (if not compressed already) it to 50%, thats like a total of 6gigs just the levels  huh.gif

Kira Yamoto

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2006, 03:13:00 PM »

Honestly this game sounds exciting.  40 multiplayer levels packed in w/ the game, as well as Insomniac extras which we know nothing about currently, but I'm sure that if I like the game at all, I'd appreciate it.  20+ gbs makes sense according to what he says in his blog.  The game is slated for a worldwide release, all that would be needed to change is the reigon code for each reigon that it's sold in.  

This is what some, or most Xbox games did and I'm glad that they're doing this for PS3 as its gonna speed up the release date for our fellow European gamers.   Heck, they might even get some games FIRST.  Hopefully this trend will continue with other companies, so that we may never have to import again, or if we do import, we can play it in our language.  

Sony told us that the extra space would give us feature packed games and Resistance looks to be one of the 1st to set an example.  That's what I call a great use of space.  Just the multi-reigon thing alone enables quicker releases all across the world.  That in itself is a revolution in the gaming marketplace.  How would stuff like this NOT be good news?

Mr Invader

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2006, 04:27:00 PM »

Resistance....

Does it look good? yes
Does it look absolutely amazing and flawlessly beautiful? no

Does it look like fun? yes
Is it anything that Halo 3 can't handle? HELL NO

tongue.gif

incognegro

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2006, 04:55:00 PM »

Anybody actually believing the 300 meg per level part? blink.gif

"give a thirsty man a glass of water and he would savor it; but give that man a river and he would waste it"

anyways I like this game and I hope it turns out good, the ps3 NEEDS this game at launch.

That in itself is a revolution in the gaming marketplace

No its been done many times before. I must admit though that its definitely not a bad idea.

By the way...Insomniac ROXX!!! biggrin.gif

I remember when they did games like "disruptor" and "one" for the PSone. They were definitely slept-on.

Foe-hammer

• Archived User
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2006, 07:09:00 PM »

First of all, all this is a BR/ps3 marketing ploy.  If anyone doesn't beleive this then you need to ask yourself, why is sony/insomniac advertising the games data size to begin with?  There's your answer.

incognegro

• Archived User
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2006, 07:37:00 PM »

QUOTE(Foe-hammer @ Sep 13 2006, 02:16 AM) View Post

First of all, all this is a BR/ps3 marketing ploy.  If anyone doesn't beleive this then you need to ask yourself, why is sony/insomniac advertising the games data size to begin with?  There's your answer.

I'm aware of this hence my reason for the "is anybody really believing this" comment. Of course your gonna hear first parties talking this way but not third parties. Because those companies have invested interest in the console while the others only care for profit.

Mr Invader

• Archived User
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2006, 08:22:00 PM »

The Size Growth of the Xbox
Average for 2001: 1.81 gigs (21% of disc)
Average for 2002: 2.17 gigs (25% of disc)
Average for 2003: 2.47 gigs (29% of disc)
Average for 2005: 3.20 gigs (37% of disc)

Xbox 360 sample launch titles sizes
Condemned: 3.9 GB
Madden 06 NFL: 3.3 GB
Dead or Alive 4: 5 GB
NBA 06: 4.5 GB

http://www.joystiq.c...t-game-storage/

In fact, as programmers optimize code, it's not uncommon for programs to shrink. The original MechAssualt was 3.42 gigabytes, but MechAssualt 2 was only 2.29, a nearly 33% reduction in size. Yet MechAssualt II is considered a better looking game. Grand Theft Auto III is a paltry 733 megabytes, compared to Grand Theft Auto Vice City's still paltry 1.2 gigs. Silent Hill 2 clocked in at 4.88 gigs. It's sequel, Silent Hill 4, is only 3.16 gigabytes.

http://gamesfirst.com/?id=1132

DVD9 = GOOD
Blu-ray = Not BAD, but not GOOD

bucko

• Recovered User
« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2006, 02:50:00 AM »

I don't believe that, must be the most worst programming anyone has ever done. Just think how long the levels would take to load if they were 300MB (transferring from the Blu-Ray disk). I think he probably means each level cut-scene is in high-def, that would make more sense to me.

Kira Yamoto

• Archived User
« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2006, 03:30:00 AM »

No its been done many times before. I must admit though that its definitely not a bad idea.

I know it's been done before, I don't know about 'many' but I know that it has been.  The issue is that not all companies take advantage of it, and even on PS3, only Resistance is reported to be doing that.  I'm just saying that if more companies took advantage of it, and the fact that they can't really complain about space anymore since Resistance will prove that you can do an all in one package for all reigons.

First of all, all this is a BR/ps3 marketing ploy. If anyone doesn't beleive this then you need to ask yourself, why is sony/insomniac advertising the games data size to begin with? There's your answer.

Because it's a common question among gamers and critics alike.  Look at this forum post and youll instantly see  topics that relate in some way towards BluRay and/or it's capacity.  We're talking about it RIGHT NOW.  It's one of THE MOST criticized piece of hardware in the PS3 and I doubt that anybody would disagree with me on that.

Honestly, just even revealing this info is going too far, and I for one appreciate that he answered one of the most asked questions on boards everywhere.

NicoBech

• Archived User
« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2006, 03:58:00 AM »

Are the BD-ROM drive in PS3 able to read dual-layer or only single layer BD-discs?

incognegro

• Archived User
« Reply #11 on: September 13, 2006, 03:59:00 AM »

QUOTE(Kira Yamoto @ Sep 13 2006, 10:37 AM) View Post

I know it's been done before, I don't know about 'many' but I know that it has been.  The issue is that not all companies take advantage of it, and even on PS3, only Resistance is reported to be doing that.  I'm just saying that if more companies took advantage of it, and the fact that they can't really complain about space anymore since Resistance will prove that you can do an all in one package for all reigons.
Because it's a common question among gamers and critics alike.  Look at this forum post and youll instantly see  topics that relate in some way towards BluRay and/or it's capacity.  We're talking about it RIGHT NOW.  It's one of THE MOST criticized piece of hardware in the PS3 and I doubt that anybody would disagree with me on that.

Honestly, just even revealing this info is going too far, and I for one appreciate that he answered one of the most asked questions on boards everywhere.

I just think they are trying to make excuses.

redwolf

• Archived User
« Reply #12 on: September 13, 2006, 05:38:00 AM »

QUOTE(Kira Yamoto @ Sep 13 2006, 10:37 AM) View Post

and the fact that they can't really complain about space anymore since Resistance will prove that you can do an all in one package for all reigons.

there are reason why we have region code. most obvious are (same as films etc.) are currency differences, why would anyone buy a UK game for £50 when they can order it from Asia, pay half the amount inc. delivery. plus get away paying government tax.

other reason that, it takes time to have all the languages in one, different tv format, which can cause delays world wide, plus each countries have to review and age rate the game when it get to licence. blah...blah.

KAGE360

• Archived User
« Reply #13 on: September 13, 2006, 07:06:00 AM »

QUOTE(NicoBech @ Sep 13 2006, 06:05 AM) View Post

Are the BD-ROM drive in PS3 able to read dual-layer or only single layer BD-discs?

that is something i have been wondering as well.  they are taking diods from current blue-ray players (or what would have been blue-ray players) and using them for the ps3, but the first gen blue-ray players can not play dual layer disks (not that they exist).  also when the ps2 was first launched it was not able to play dual layer DVDs so i wouldnt put this past sony.  

back to the topic, there is no excuse for a game like this to take up this much room.  its complete rubbish that they point the finger to detail of the levels.  the game looks good, yes, but it does not look as good as CoD3, GoW, rainbowsix vegas, BiA, or many other titles.  like many have said it before, its CoD2 with monsters and i see that.  even though i think this is a huge marketing push, we dont know the whole story.  maybe the ps3 was not built for compression like the 360 was and thus they are not using the same techniques which is a shame because compression helps game performance more then uncompressed data does.  aslo we dont know how much of that space is taken up with rendered movies, much will be revealed at launch im sure.

as for stating these numbers in defense for sony's choice to include a blue-ray player in the ps3, why should the developer care?  unless sony is handing over some money (which i believe to be the case) there is no reason for a developer to make such a huge case about the size of their game. touting that your game is over 20gbs will not convince gamers to buy your game and is not a way to promote your game especially to the average consumer who wouldnt know what their talking about.  what does a developer have to gain from saying "our game is 22gigs, we need blue-ray, this cant be done on the 360's DVD9", nothing.

twistedsymphony

• Recovered User
« Reply #14 on: September 13, 2006, 09:18:00 AM »

QUOTE(Kira Yamoto @ Sep 12 2006, 05:20 PM) View Post

This is what some, or most Xbox games did and I'm glad that they're doing this for PS3 as its gonna speed up the release date for our fellow European gamers.   Heck, they might even get some games FIRST.  Hopefully this trend will continue with other companies, so that we may never have to import again, or if we do import, we can play it in our language.  
Currently games made by European companies almost always release in Europe first.

As for multi region discs speeding up the release date? NOPE. Think about it this way.. if the game was coded for Japan and it takes 3 months to add into the localization coding for the other regions (video formats, languages, etc)... the game might normally release in Japan in December then the US in March, then Europe and Aus in June, and the rest of world in September/October...

Now if they want to put all that info onto he same disc before releasing it at all it would mean that NO region would get the disc until September/October

It'd be like Comunism... everyone is the same... and thus everyone suffers the same as the lowest common denominator.

Also I want to clear something up... the game does not have over 40 levels... read it again, it says "over 40 'different large loaded areas'" A single level could contain any number of "large loaded areas" IIRC a single LEVEL of Splinter Cell:CT included close to 5 or 6 large loaded areas.

I'm not saying it will have a small number of levels but I'd seriously be surprised if the game had more then 20 levels between single and multi-player, even less if they use the same level for both.
Pages: [1] 2 3