xboxscene.org forums

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Marijuana  (Read 316 times)

shanook

• Archived User
Marijuana
« on: October 16, 2007, 02:59:00 PM »

We know what  harm tobacco causes.  We know what harm alcohol causes.  But what harm does marijuana cause? What do those propaganda commercials have to say about the drug? Ever pay attention to one?  Ever notice that they actually never say exactly waht marijuana does?  It's because the drug is actually fairly harmless compared to its legal cousins (alc and tobacco).

Tobacco causes lung cancer
Alcohol causes liver cancer
Marijuana..helps deter cancer?

Tobacco causes emphysema and chronic bronchitis
Marijuana..helps emphysema?

Alcohol kills brain cells
Marijuana..kills no brain cells?

So why's it illegal?

post your thoughts.  disagree with anything i've stated? i'll give sources from college professors and medical research published nationwide.

gronned

• Archived User
Marijuana
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2007, 03:54:00 PM »

I don't disagree really, but I'd like to see the sources you're talking about.

I'm quite sure it's not as dangerous as alcohol. Tobacco is a bit harder to say as most also use tobacco when smoking weed. One of the reasons the don't want to legalize it is because it often drives people into heavier drugs(I don't know what proof they have, but that's the claim).

Most people I've seen regularly smoking it really look like potheads with their eyes about to fall asleep any second, so it's got to have quite an impact. And most I've spoken with that quit smoking say it was because the long term effects were that they became too down and too paranoid.

Anyway, I hope they do more serious research on it as it's an "interesting" drug that may actually have numerous benefits.

shanook

• Archived User
Marijuana
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2007, 05:33:00 PM »

QUOTE(gronned @ Oct 16 2007, 11:30 PM) View Post

I don't disagree really, but I'd like to see the sources you're talking about.

I'm quite sure it's not as dangerous as alcohol. Tobacco is a bit harder to say as most also use tobacco when smoking weed. One of the reasons the don't want to legalize it is because it often drives people into heavier drugs(I don't know what proof they have, but that's the claim).

Most people I've seen regularly smoking it really look like potheads with their eyes about to fall asleep any second, so it's got to have quite an impact. And most I've spoken with that quit smoking say it was because the long term effects were that they became too down and too paranoid.

Anyway, I hope they do more serious research on it as it's an "interesting" drug that may actually have numerous benefits.

One second, i'm going to find my sources that i derived all of my info on.  I regularly smoke pot, am a college student, and currently have all A's.  It has not deterred my motivation to do well in school, or my motivation in anything else.  As for the 'gateway effect' that you're talking about, a college professor, in a video i'm about to show you, disproves this theory.

A lot of research on marijuana concludes positive results, however, some research is buried by the U.S. government.  No clue why, I believe it's because marijuana can't be sold and taxed because it's so easily grown? That's one theory I've read.

The main fact that makes pot much safer than alc is the fact that you cannot overdose on pot.  It's impossible, if you drink too much, you can die.

I"m going to find my sources, i'll repost in a second.

http://www.washingto...2501729_pf.html  - marijuana does not cause lung cancer

- author of a marijuana legalization book, retired college professor.  Discusses the various myths assumed about marijuana, and also discusses how even if current research is completely wrong, marijuana should still be legalized to be regulated.

http://www.art.net/~...no-clothes.html - marijuana could help emphysema, by Dr. Tashkin.  Also, no recorded deaths of Marijuana in history.

http://paranoia.lyca...ogy.html#myth12  - marijuana does not kill brain cells.

shanook

• Archived User
Marijuana
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2007, 06:58:00 AM »

also, i guess you're right about a lot of people using tobacco with weed, i, personally, don't endorse or use that just because i don't really like the taste of tobacco  tongue.gif , but i'll smoke an occasional cigar here and there.

crackfeen

• Archived User
Marijuana
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2007, 11:01:00 AM »

for the love of god...
there was a standup comedian whose name i don't remember.. but he had the best thing to say about this....
"they should legalize marijuana just so stoners will no longer have anything to talk about"

shanook

• Archived User
Marijuana
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2007, 12:30:00 PM »

QUOTE(crackfeen @ Oct 17 2007, 06:37 PM) View Post

for the love of god...
there was a standup comedian whose name i don't remember.. but he had the best thing to say about this....
"they should legalize marijuana just so stoners will no longer have anything to talk about"

lol, well, we would shutup if there wasn't so much damn propaganda with absolutely nothing backing them.

i hate it when people heavily oppose marijuana, and i ask them why, and they say "it's bad."  wtf does that mean?  i ask them to clarify and they say "it causes lung cancer"

...what do you say to someone like that?  when it's been proven and published EVERYWHERE, through international news stations.

I don't care if you smoke or not, but i don't like it when people oppose stuff with absolutely no reason.

crackfeen

• Archived User
Marijuana
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2007, 02:28:00 PM »

QUOTE(shanook @ Oct 17 2007, 03:06 PM) View Post

lol, well, we would shutup if there wasn't so much damn propaganda with absolutely nothing backing them.

i hate it when people heavily oppose marijuana, and i ask them why, and they say "it's bad."  wtf does that mean?  i ask them to clarify and they say "it causes lung cancer"

...what do you say to someone like that?  when it's been proven and published EVERYWHERE, through international news stations.

I don't care if you smoke or not, but i don't like it when people oppose stuff with absolutely no reason.

in the long run you'll get cancer no matter what.. it's inevitable..
my problem with weed is that the people that get "addicted" become complete wastes of life.. they are not interesting... all the friends i have that are burnouts pretty much just sit there smoke and play video games.. (mind you we're all in our 20s) that's it.. they work just enough to pay their rent, junk food, and pot... what do you do with a person like that?
as far as casual users go..  if they just screw around with it you would never know about it... but it doesn't work like that...  most people who try it either like it or don't.. those who don't like it either don't do it at all or do it rarely in social situations.. those who like it, gently fall into the groove of smoking habitually.. and eventually wind up in the burnout club...
in my opinion... physically there might not be anything wrong with it.. but it's the mental dependence that becomes a problem... smoking/alcohol actually bear with them a physical addiction... if weed doesn't, then people don't see it as a problem.. and don't realize that it's affecting them negatively.
how's that? good enough of a reason? this is a personal opinion so i'm not forcing it on anyone but it's my 2 cents

hamwbone

• Recovered User
Marijuana
« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2007, 02:35:00 PM »

if all these stoners actually put all the time they TALKED about the need to legalize pot and invested that into actually DOING something about it, they might make some waves... im all for legalizing it.

shanook

• Archived User
Marijuana
« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2007, 06:01:00 PM »

QUOTE(hamwbone @ Oct 17 2007, 10:11 PM) View Post

if all these stoners actually put all the time they TALKED about the need to legalize pot and invested that into actually DOING something about it, they might make some waves... im all for legalizing it.

i agree with that, but there's not much to do.  Anyone in support of legalization isn't going to be put into office.  it's a vicious cycle.  if there was someone going for office for legalizatoin i'd be all for him, but tha'ts not how politics works

NKI Klepto

• Archived User
Marijuana
« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2007, 07:03:00 PM »

i only have one to thing to say, occasional gonga burning is nice, im talking like 2 times a month max, cigars are nice, maybe a pack a month, cigarettes are down right gross, and i have never tried one, and never will, booz nice to party, and just have a good time, even chew is nice to dip once in a while and game with.

Gonga is illegal because the government can't control it, just like booz in the prohibition, they couldnt control it, so they banned it, now they have full control, weed is TO out of control for them to ever control, so i cant see them ever legalizing it. it just wont happen, if the government is making more money than the people of it, then its not legal.

QUOTE(crackfeen @ Oct 17 2007, 05:04 PM) View Post

most people who try it either like it or don't.. those who don't like it either don't do it at all or do it rarely in social situations.. those who like it, gently fall into the groove of smoking habitually.. and eventually wind up in the burnout club...
in my opinion... physically there might not be anything wrong with it.. but it's the mental dependence that becomes a problem... smoking/alcohol actually bear with them a physical addiction... if weed doesn't, then people don't see it as a problem.. and don't realize that it's affecting them negatively.

not true, i like it plenty, and so does my 2 best friends, but we only smoke like 2 times a month, because we are mature enough to realize that it is indeed a drug, and its not necessary, sure i have burnout friends too, but i have WAY more friends who just smoke when they FEEL like it, and not when they NEED it. weed is not addicting, so ive heard, but if you have a really addictive personality, i suggest NO drug for you. Gonga is from the ground man, God made this for man, its not a chemical some a$$hole created in a lab to make some cash money, its natural, and therefore should be used as such.

blame canada

• Archived User
Marijuana
« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2007, 07:39:00 PM »

Unless the government gets some cut off the $$ somehow, I don't see it being legalized anytime soon rolleyes.gif

And no I don't smoke (occasional cigar, like maybe a handful a year lol) and no I don't care either way if it's illegal or legal tongue.gif

crackfeen

• Archived User
Marijuana
« Reply #11 on: October 17, 2007, 09:55:00 PM »

QUOTE(NKI Klepto @ Oct 17 2007, 09:39 PM) View Post

. Gonga is from the ground man, God made this for man, its not a chemical some a$$hole created in a lab to make some cash money, its natural, and therefore should be used as such.

haha i'm sorry but that statement has always cracked me up. and it comes up in every one of these conversations... you ofcourse understand that it holds for nothing... at this point... the biggest names in drugs are weed, shrooms, coke, heroin... remind me again what a$$hole made them in a lab?
ofcourse there's the plethora of manmade drugs like E, speed, pcp.. all that good stuff.. but those are still the very same chemicals that god made..
as far as the government control goes.. ofcourse they can control it just not a hundred percent. as soon as the bill gets passed, along with the bill you'll have a vendor's license and certain restrictions... you'll always have your pot farmers selling some tiny fraction of their stuff under the table (but the majority will need to be documented).. and you'll have it coming in over the borders... ofcourse as soon as the government steps in.. prices will skyrocket.. and there will be tariffs on nondomestic marijuana... honestly.. i don't think anyone wants to play that game. you might not want it to be harshly punished but as far as actual legalizing or promoting.. nuh uh..
let's just keep things the way they are..  the people that want it, never have problems finding it and if they're smart they're never getting caught... and the people that don't want it can live in their own world pretending that nothing is happening around them because it's illegal.

shanook

• Archived User
Marijuana
« Reply #12 on: October 17, 2007, 10:52:00 PM »

QUOTE(crackfeen @ Oct 18 2007, 05:31 AM) View Post

haha i'm sorry but that statement has always cracked me up. and it comes up in every one of these conversations... you ofcourse understand that it holds for nothing... at this point... the biggest names in drugs are weed, shrooms, coke, heroin... remind me again what a$$hole made them in a lab?
ofcourse there's the plethora of manmade drugs like E, speed, pcp.. all that good stuff.. but those are still the very same chemicals that god made..
as far as the government control goes.. ofcourse they can control it just not a hundred percent. as soon as the bill gets passed, along with the bill you'll have a vendor's license and certain restrictions... you'll always have your pot farmers selling some tiny fraction of their stuff under the table (but the majority will need to be documented).. and you'll have it coming in over the borders... ofcourse as soon as the government steps in.. prices will skyrocket.. and there will be tariffs on nondomestic marijuana... honestly.. i don't think anyone wants to play that game. you might not want it to be harshly punished but as far as actual legalizing or promoting.. nuh uh..
let's just keep things the way they are..  the people that want it, never have problems finding it and if they're smart they're never getting caught... and the people that don't want it can live in their own world pretending that nothing is happening around them because it's illegal.

shrooms and pot both come from the ground, heroine and coke are derived from natural sources..but when they are ready to be taken they are FAR from natural, coke and heroine both are very very condensed.  you can't just fine coke and heroine in its "usable drug" state just growing out of the ground like you can pot and shrooms..that's like saying chocolate is purely natural, because the cocao beans are grown naturally, don't bash the kid he has a point.

i used to think exactly like you, that "what does it matter if i can get my stuff, not get caught, and be fine."  but if alcohol were prohibited again people would be bitching left and right, even though there would most definitely be an underground network of bars and stuff.

legalization isn't about making it easier to get pot and smoking it where you want, it's about the fact that there is no reason behind the illegalization of it other than the government not being able to make money off of it.  

it's unexplainable, but of course you're not going to completely agree with me unless you smoke pot as well, but imagine something that you like, being outlawed simply because of a greedy monetary issue, it would piss you off, and that's why pot being illegal pisses smokers off.  it has nothing to do with the ease of smoking.

and btw, not all smokers turn into burnouts, a vast majority might, but that's not everyone.

my best friends and i all smoke a decent amount.  all of us do well in our classes, participate regularly in competitions and events around town, and have fun while we're sober.  i have no "dependence" on marijuana, i do it because i have fun with my friends when i smoke.  i don't have to smoke to make myself feel better, i only know one person that is a "burn out" and that's the reason he smokes.

lostboyz

• Archived User
Marijuana
« Reply #13 on: October 18, 2007, 11:28:00 PM »

It costs the government more money to make something illegal then having it legal. Think of the millions of dollars spent on anti-drug forces in this country.

The reason prohibition was revoked was not because everyone bitched, it is because alcohol is the only "drug" that can kill you if you quit cold turkey from withdrawls. It was creating havoc in hospitals. Illegal sales of alcohol also created a market for crime syndicates to make lots and lots of money.

If all drugs were legal no one would do meth, which is a terrible drug that is sadly rampant in this area of the US

heroine was made by a pharmaceutical as a drug to ween people off of morphine, it may have "natural" ingredients but it is a very processed form.

NKI Klepto

• Archived User
Marijuana
« Reply #14 on: October 19, 2007, 08:39:00 PM »

QUOTE(shanook @ Oct 18 2007, 01:28 AM) View Post

shrooms and pot both come from the ground, heroine and coke are derived from natural sources..but when they are ready to be taken they are FAR from natural, coke and heroine both are very very condensed.  you can't just fine coke and heroine in its "usable drug" state just growing out of the ground like you can pot and shrooms..that's like saying chocolate is purely natural, because the cocao beans are grown naturally, don't bash the kid he has a point.

thank you. thats what i was getting at.
Pages: [1] 2