xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Vector Art.  (Read 51 times)

Wolves

• Archived User
Vector Art.
« on: June 15, 2006, 12:10:00 AM »

Ok, my understanding, corrrect me if I'm wrong, is that vectors are scalable images. They can scale without any loss of detail, right?

But how does one begin work on vectors in Photoshop. Many of the tutorials I've read said: "Go ahead and make a vector...", but how could someone make them?

Also, what is all these layer masks, and things like that for? And the RGB channel stuff that you can click on in the layer menu.

(I'm really starting to feel like a n00b to Photoshop, but I've been using it for years...)

Himura

• Archived User
Vector Art.
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2006, 12:20:00 AM »

your closest thing to vectors is to use the pen tool

Owtlaw333

• Archived User
Vector Art.
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2006, 12:33:00 AM »

If you want to scale ur work, do NOT work in PS. It would be ideal to use Illustrator or a program like it (Colrel DRAW is another good alternative, but I'd stick with Adobe). Any other vector based program is a hell of alot easier to use for creating vectors than PS anyways. PS is extremely limited in it's capabilites with vetors and is not meant for scaleable images. While you can creat vectors in PS, it is still a pixel based program.

Wolves

• Archived User
Vector Art.
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2006, 12:55:00 AM »

Yeah, just some of the work I've seen done with vectors astounds me. Another reason is, I really like to know more about the things I use every day. But thanks, I'll look around for programs made specifically for vector based images.

gasclown

• Archived User
Vector Art.
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2006, 01:19:00 AM »

vectors seem really hard at first but become really easy once you know how. fire up ai if yr used to photoshop hit the path tool and start 'tracing' some of yr favorite images.... well thats how i learnt anyway.

Owtlaw333

• Archived User
Vector Art.
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2006, 02:19:00 AM »

Yeah. Vector work is hard to get into if you've been working with nothing but pixels. The pen tool will be ur biggest hurdle. That is the main tool you'll be using. Master that before you do anything else. Shortcut keys will be ur next best friend. Cuz you'll start to get pretty irritate if you keep reaching for the tool bar to switch between the Pen Tool, Object Selection tool and Anchor Selection tool (Point Selection.... whatever you wanna call it, lol). Cntrl and Alt (or Apple and Alt if ur Mac) are very important, lol.

Like gasclown recommended, start tracing images to practice with the pen tool. I think cars would be a great place to start then work ur way to people and faces. (When it comes to the face, less is more. Just a lil tip.)

awal

• Archived User
Vector Art.
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2006, 10:01:00 AM »

here are some vector logos to check out
http://www.brandsoftheworld.com/

Himura

• Archived User
Vector Art.
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2006, 11:00:00 AM »

Here's a REALLY nice site that I just dug out of my memory and was trying to find it myself  laugh.gif
http://www.vexels.net/