xboxscene.org forums

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: My First Car!  (Read 368 times)

ubernewb

• Archived User
My First Car!
« Reply #30 on: August 21, 2007, 07:46:00 PM »

QUOTE(twistedsymphony @ Aug 21 2007, 11:15 AM) View Post

Oh and screw bestbuy....

hey.. eff you you effin effer.... haha

what can i say? they pay my bills..... laugh.gif

i don't give a shit what anyone says, you can get some great deals at that place... and some of them actually have employees that know what they're talking about.. crazy thought i know, but it happens

quite a bit better than circuit shitty, but i suppose that doesn't take much wink.gif

and no.. tweeters do NOT go at ear level.. where in the hell did you get that from?!

Rylinkus

• Archived User
My First Car!
« Reply #31 on: August 21, 2007, 08:30:00 PM »

It's too bad you're not more local or I'd have a sub box that's basically up for grabs. I simply don't have a vehicle to put it in and it's just taking up space. I also have an Alpine amp that I'd let go darn cheap. (I'd need to get specs tomorrow as it's late now.) Powered my subs like a champ back in the day.

As for color, I can attest, black is too fucking hot. I'd keep the paint as is. I think that thing looks pimp as hell the way it is.

sicknasty413

• Archived User
My First Car!
« Reply #32 on: August 22, 2007, 06:54:00 PM »

^ Where you from?? And let me know when you get those specs. As for the paint, it definitely needs some touching up. I got some touch up paint.. but it doesn't exactly match. Maybe if I wet sand it with some 2000 grade sandpaper.. maybe that'll help.

Anyways.. I made some progress today! I have yet to get any equipment, but my father picked me up a cheap ass speaker to replace the rear left one that doesn't work. So I got to install that! Even had to start modifying shit and what not. But it works as it should.. so now I get audio from both my rear speakers  happy.gif  . I'll replace 'em soon enough though!

My father and I also recarpeted my trunk! Before it had this ghetto ol' shag-like carpet-
IPB Image

We replaced it with some newer carpet that we had laying in our garage. It's not perfect or professional or anything.. but it definitely looks a hell of a lot better than what was in there before-

IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image

So yeah, let me know whatcha think.

I'm trying to get my mommy (lol) to shell out a grand.. or 2.. haha. I want my new speakers/sub/amps/etc!!!!!

I'm still in need of a new deck/radio/receiver/thing.. so throw me some recommendations. Preferably something available at www.aafes.com.. that way my father can use [my mother's] Military Star Card. lol

hamwbone

• Recovered User
My First Car!
« Reply #33 on: August 23, 2007, 03:34:00 PM »

http://www.sonicelec...KDC-MP535U.html

not vouching for the company, but its alot cheaper elsewhere. look legit though

hamwbone

• Recovered User
My First Car!
« Reply #34 on: August 23, 2007, 06:14:00 PM »

crutchfield is always way over priced, especially for a do-it-yourselfer

Rylinkus

• Archived User
My First Car!
« Reply #35 on: August 24, 2007, 06:03:00 PM »

QUOTE(sicknasty413 @ Aug 23 2007, 02:30 AM) View Post

^ Where you from?? And let me know when you get those specs. As for the paint, it definitely needs some touching up. I got some touch up paint.. but it doesn't exactly match. Maybe if I wet sand it with some 2000 grade sandpaper.. maybe that'll help.

Im out of town helping my dad after he had surgery. He's doing very well, so I should either be home late tomorrow or Sunday. Definately Sunday, as I have to work Monday. so Ill get the info to ya then, if not earlier.

sicknasty413

• Archived User
My First Car!
« Reply #36 on: August 26, 2007, 10:12:00 PM »

Alright, so I pretty much think I know what I'm doing. lol.

For power wire- 4awg
For speaker wire- 18awg
Fuse- AGU 100A
Then I'll also need some RCA cables to run from my deck to my amps.

I guess I'll also be needing some type of power distribution block that will split one 4awg wire to two 4awg wires to power my amps. But that seems hard to come by.

As for my fuse choice... I took all the fuses from my amps.. took their amp rating.. and added them all. It ended up being like 105A. So I figured a 100A would be sufficient.

So I pretty much know that I have to run a 4awg wire from the positive battery terminal to my fuse.. then from my fuse through my car's firewall.. then from my car's firewall to my trunk... from my trunk to my power distribution block.. then from my distribution block to my 2 amps. Then I just have to ground my amps to my car's chassis via a screw. Then I run RCA cables from my deck to my amps. Then run some speaker cable from my amps to my speakers.

And I basically wire my subwoofers like this-
IPB Image

...And I think it's as simple as that.

Any other things I should know???

I still need to figure out what box I want. I know it should be sealed. Just not sure on the cubic feet. Also would like to get it from www.techronics.com if anyone wants to recommend one from there for me.

Personally, I'm pretty excited. Not even because it'll be a pretty beast audio system.. just for the sheer fact of installing and workin' on my car and being able to say.. yeah, that's you n00bish friends of mine.. I installed that shit myself. None of my friends think I can do it. They wanna be there to record my car blowing up..... assholes.

EDIT-
Oh and I think I may go for the Alpine MRP-F550... 20w per channel. 90w x 4 at 4ohm. The speakers I'm getting are like 100w RMS.

So this completely fucks my fuse decision.. I think. The 800w amp = 75A. The MRP-F550 = 60A. So if I combine those.. that's 135A. Where the hell am I gonna find a 135A fuse O_O

StrictPuppet

• Recovered User
My First Car!
« Reply #37 on: August 26, 2007, 11:40:00 PM »

Your fuse calculations are way off 800w/12v=67a (actually engine running voltage is even higher therefore less amperage 800w/14.5v=55a) but that is @ max power output.  Even adding your deck, you will never come close to blowing a hundy fuse with that setup.

StrictPuppet

• Recovered User
My First Car!
« Reply #38 on: August 27, 2007, 01:52:00 AM »

Unless of course I only account for 1 fuse from each amplifier.. giving me 25A + 30A = 55A..

That seems much more reasonable.  biggrin.gif

ubernewb

• Archived User
My First Car!
« Reply #39 on: August 28, 2007, 09:31:00 AM »

strict's just being an artard.. (i hope .. haha)

you could go 150amp if you're worried about it, but you should be fine with the 100a fuse.. another thing you should think about is ditching the fuse altogether and running a circuit breaker instead.. a little more expensive, but it beats replacing fuses over time.. it's also nice cuz it pretty much gives you a kill switch for your system (which is nice if you let a friend borrow your car and don't want to risk them blowing shit..)

twistedsymphony

• Recovered User
My First Car!
« Reply #40 on: August 28, 2007, 11:26:00 AM »

QUOTE(ubernewb @ Aug 28 2007, 12:07 PM) View Post

.. another thing you should think about is ditching the fuse altogether and running a circuit breaker instead.. a little more expensive, but it beats replacing fuses over time.. it's also nice cuz it pretty much gives you a kill switch for your system (which is nice if you let a friend borrow your car and don't want to risk them blowing shit..)

ohmy.gif  That's an awesome idea... I'm definitly doing that on my next audio install!

ubernewb

• Archived User
My First Car!
« Reply #41 on: August 28, 2007, 08:38:00 PM »

yeah.. i had a buddy that liked to crank my stereo back in the day definately blew a couple speakers out (and denied it of course).. then i put the breaker in under the hood in a nice, out of the way spot.. next time he was gonna borrow it i just tripped the breaker and told him it wasn't working cuz i was having issues with one of my amps.. wink.gif was great, he quit borrowing my car after that.. laugh.gif

twistedsymphony

• Recovered User
My First Car!
« Reply #42 on: August 29, 2007, 08:55:00 AM »

Run 1 wire from the battery to a distribution block... if you feel the 1 wire isn't enough then go with a larger size for the run from the battery to the block.

... never run redundant wires.

ubernewb

• Archived User
My First Car!
« Reply #43 on: August 30, 2007, 12:21:00 AM »

1 4g to 2 8g is fine ... just make sure the 8g runs are as short as possible

the remote wire is what tells the amps to turn on.. the deck sends out a low amperage 12v signal out thru the blue/white wire.. this is what tells the amplifier to turn on, which then draws it's main power from the bettery of the car..

and as for recommended box sizes.. the smaller the box, the tighter the sound.. the larger the box, the boomier the sound.. as long as you stay within the recommended range you will be fine (it's even possible to go with a box with ~10% less airspace, but you must stuff the box with polyfill stuffing, which you can get at walmart for a few dollars)

and i don't have aim (it's a tool of the devil).. but you can get me on msn at [email protected]

ubernewb

• Archived User
My First Car!
« Reply #44 on: August 30, 2007, 01:02:00 AM »

under 3ft is good.. when i mount amps i try to keep the smaller guage runa as short as possible.. usually under a foot or so

and m$ may suck, but i've never had msn kill my computer.. aim has murdered my connection speeds with backdoor nonsense too many times before. that and it just seems to be easier for people to get into.. i had an install of aim go so badly i've had to do a restore.. that was like 2 years ago, and i stay away from that crap since
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4