xboxscene.org forums

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Another Help Me Pick A Car Thread  (Read 149 times)

havocaose

• Archived User
Another Help Me Pick A Car Thread
« on: May 23, 2004, 11:15:00 AM »

im sure these threads never get old dry.gif  but oh well

im looking for a car with a really low center of gravity and a wide wheel base (ive rolled a car before, so i get really antsy with lots of body roll) something thats not too expensive (AT LEAST under $15000 which is still pretty expensive) and something with a turbo, im addicted to the noise of a bov. Some cars im thinking of would be a wolfsburg jetta (its got lots of suspension work done so it doesn't have much body roll) at first i was really looking forward to a wrx cuase im a huge rally fan but after i rolled that car (an x5 ohmy.gif ) i cant afford collision insurance.  It seems like a few people around here are freaks with cars and im hoping they can point me to what to look for at a used car dealership. Btw im looking to buy a car in Minnesota.

jesterrace777

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2004, 02:29:00 PM »

A 3rd Generation RX-7 is right up your alley then.  They average about $15K in price and come stock with twin-turbos. They have probably one of the best handling systems of any car.  

user posted image
user posted image

UndercoverPunker

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2004, 02:33:00 PM »

or a turbo MR2, fun fun fun to drive, mid engine is so much fun!

drozek

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2004, 08:18:00 PM »

speaking of jettas if u get one get a jetta with a VR6 omg it feels so good u like turbos my 2002 Jetta GLi has a stock intake and sounds like a turbo. wheels are huge stock 17'. http://www.cardomain.com/id/drozek3 this is my GLi i bought it for 19 used with 8k on it now it has 14k and runs brand new

jesterrace777

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2004, 10:55:00 PM »

Yeah but if you saw, he mentioned he wanted something $15K or less.   wink.gif

Lorre

• Archived User
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2004, 09:56:00 AM »

QUOTE (drozek @ May 24 2004, 05:18 AM)
speaking of jettas if u get one get a jetta with a VR6 omg it feels so good u like turbos my 2002 Jetta GLi has a stock intake and sounds like a turbo. wheels are huge stock 17'. http://www.cardomain.com/id/drozek3 this is my GLi i bought it for 19 used with 8k on it now it has 14k and runs brand new

Hehe THAT's a Jetta?
Down here on the old continent we call that exact same car a Volkswagen Bora tongue.gif

This is the last generation of them to be called Jetta here:
user posted image

The generation after this was called Vento, I mean these:
user posted image

Dunnow if anybody cares, but car lovers might biggrin.gif

If I where you, I'd go for the RX-7 though

nemt

• Archived User
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2004, 10:33:00 AM »

A Nissan 300ZX might be just the thing for you, there's a inexpensive Twin Turbo model with 300HP.

user posted image

havocaose

• Archived User
« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2004, 05:56:00 PM »

uh... anything a little less sporty? remember i totalled a car before and my parents are not gonna let anything real powerful fly

UndercoverPunker

• Archived User
« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2004, 08:05:00 PM »

most cars that are low with a wide wheel base... are sporty... huh.gif

jesterrace777

• Archived User
« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2004, 09:21:00 PM »

Hmm let's see wide-wheelbase, turbo, ect.  What the hell did you think we were gonna do, post a family car?  rolleyes.gif   I think you need to get your priorities straight here buddy.  Either you are going to get a econo/family car or you are going to get a sports car.  The one possible bridge between these two gaps that I was going to propose was the WRX (way over your limit anyways) and you said you don't want one.  The closest thing I can think of to what you are looking for would be that Jetta but your parents are going to curb that as soon as they find out it is a turbo.

Lorre

• Archived User
« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2004, 09:52:00 AM »

How bout a Daihatsu YRV?
user posted image
This thing comes with a 1.6Litre Turbo engine, 160HP, dunnow if it's available in the States though tongue.gif

Honda Civic:
user posted image
Comes with 200HP

What about a Miata? Those things are faster then you'd think.

Rylinkus

• Archived User
« Reply #11 on: May 26, 2004, 07:51:00 PM »

Ok, While I simply love Rx7s and must applaud a nemt post  dry.gif  with his mention of the Fairlady Z, I dont think a powerful RWD car is a good choice as an only car in Minn. I know it's not in maine.

Some sporty cars that may not seem overly sporty to your parents.......
Any VW with VR6. available in GTIs, Jettas, Passats, and Corrados.
Pontiac GTP. 4 doors. it cant be fast.
A 4 door integra GSR is a decent choice.
The Mazda MP3 is supposed to be pretty nimble. Not sure on Prices.
A Focus ZX3, or the PZEV focus would be decent.
Mainly keep your eyes open on deals that are local and test drive things to get a feel for what you like.
As far as Subies, even an a 2.5RS is decent. And can be upgraded.
I've seen older Quattros cheap.

havocaose

• Archived User
« Reply #12 on: May 27, 2004, 05:05:00 PM »

QUOTE (jesterrace777 @ May 26 2004, 06:21 AM)
Hmm let's see wide-wheelbase, turbo, ect.  What the hell did you think we were gonna do, post a family car?  rolleyes.gif   I think you need to get your priorities straight here buddy.  Either you are going to get a econo/family car or you are going to get a sports car.  The one possible bridge between these two gaps that I was going to propose was the WRX (way over your limit anyways) and you said you don't want one.  The closest thing I can think of to what you are looking for would be that Jetta but your parents are going to curb that as soon as they find out it is a turbo.

theres a big differance between wanting one and not being able to afford one... one every other forum on the internet my name is subarusti and my signiture is a picture of a wrc wrx
i might get an imprezza if i can find one (non turbo) for around $10,000

when i say a little less sporty, i mean something thats not 300hp or twin turboed.. i didn't say family car.

also, i believe I already said i was looking at getting a wolfsburg jetta and being turbo isn't the problem.. its actually finding the car and having it under $15000.. and hopfully not even that much becuase if i crash the car and its not my fault, it doesn't get fixed.

And ya im looking at sporty, one of my dads clients offered to sell me a quatro 97' audi a4 for only $7500 but its auto, and my heart is really locked on an manual. I was going to get an eclipse gt manual for a fair price a while ago but i checked again and its been sold. I live in south dakota so its gotta be either awd or f (front) wd.... but mic96 has a great point.. im really only thinking short term, my dad said id only have this car for a year or two.

And then theres the mazda mp3 with the new rear springs and rims for $12500 i was looking at... is that a fair price.. nowhere on the internet has the mp3 under its pricing quotes becuase its a special edition, but from what ive read its essentially a protege with better suspension and a nice sound system.

My dads first car was a 69 fastback mustang so hes not against me getting a real sporty car, i was origionally getting a NEW wrx.. right before i fucked up.

Heres the point to my post:
Which of the following cars on this list should be the ones to go after

Acura Integra
Mazda Protege (probably the mp3 edition)
Mitsubishi Lancer (possibly oz rally edition)
Subaru Impreza (or legacy... either way naturally aspirated)
Acura RSX
Honda Prelude
Nissan 240sx
Toyota Celica (i want the gt-s.. but i doubt ill ever see one)

havocaose

• Archived User
« Reply #13 on: May 27, 2004, 05:11:00 PM »

sad.gif

if i drive it a little and cant stand it i might fall back on the expensive ($$ to me) mazda mp3.. i repect anything rylinkus says about cars

Gonna be a long 2 years until i kiss that wrx

EDIT: or STi.....................  rotfl.gif
EDIT2: i repeated myself about 700 times in my preceding post.. just look past it biggrin.gif

also rylinkus.. what kinda car you have and do you have any pictures? It sounds awsome from other posts
and about you sig quote... ferrari spent ( im not sure on the exact number.. i lost my magazine) over 100 million on aero for the design of its f1 car LAST YEAR ALONE biggrin.gif
But it worked... except at monaco... shumi dnf'ed     YES!!!!!

Rylinkus

• Archived User
« Reply #14 on: May 27, 2004, 07:50:00 PM »

wink.gif

I've got a post on my Probe here somwhere. It's been a long night though. Search "KLZE" and you'll find it for sure.

The MP3 thing, is that I love Mazda and have read a few reports on them putting an MP3 on an autoX course with Porches and it performed amazingly. Maybe not fast, but nimble as all hell. More so then anything else there that day. The Mazda Speed Protege is a remake of the Mazda F2T engine which was very tunable and tough as nails. It would make me think about buying either. The MP3 can be found for under 10K with some looking. My friend just looked at one.

As far as the other car's I've listed, they're all things I'd consider given the same restraints you have. Honda/Acura products are nice, but a bit overpriced lately IMO. The GTP has gotten some amazing reviews as of late. And certainly can be tuned to be faster then you'll need  beerchug.gif While maintaining all the convenience of a larger 4 door sedan.

The trick is to find what is right for you. Car's I'd be apt to buy given 15K are certainly not the same as others. And that's a very important factor when shopping. Decide what you'll need it for and what you need it to do and what's the most  important. Then test drive an eliminate things that don't feel right. Then look for the bargain.

BTW: A4 and S4 are nice cars. Audis can be sweet as hell. It's about luxury. Don't let some jackass in a shitty mustang thats faster make you feel bad about a nicer car.
Pages: [1] 2