xboxscene.org forums

Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: 2tb Hdd Upgrade No Pc Only Laptop Completely Lost Noob  (Read 1079 times)

xboxmods2977

• Recovered User
2tb Hdd Upgrade No Pc Only Laptop Completely Lost Noob
« on: July 26, 2011, 05:00:00 PM »

Your options are limited without a desktop PC, however, it isn't impossible. First, you will need an adapter, like this one, if you don't already have one. This adapter allows using the SATA HD in your xbox.

Since you don't have a Desktop PC, I would suggest you convert your softmod xbox to a hardmod xbox (unless you have a chipped or TSOP'ed xbox handy) by way of a TSOP flash. This way, all you need to do is physically install the new drive into the xbox and then boot up a Hexen or AID disc to format and set up the new drive.

xboxmods2977

• Recovered User
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2011, 08:59:00 PM »

The dealextreme adapter is actually the one everyone seems to swear by but at the time of my reply, I couldn't find it there.

The hardmod would be whichever is easiest for you. If you have a spare modchip laying around or can easily obtain one, go with that. Otherwise, go with the TSOP flash. You basically plop a blob of solder across 2 sets of 2 specific points on your motherboard. This enables writing to the TSOP so that you can flash it with the built-in flashing feature found in the Evolution X dashboard (easiest method).

Google to find and download an ISO of Hexen (heimdall's xbox engineering disc) and burn that to a DVD-R @ 4x.
This is a utility disc that will be used to get your new HD "xbox ready". You can also use this disc to flash the TSOP, since your xbox is already softmodded.

Here are the solder points for your motherboard.
IPB Image

If you have the TSOP labeled "SHARP", the additional line (in red) is required. If not, ignore it.
IPB Image

As far as the bios to use, I would recommend flashing the X2 5035 (Google that too).
There are plenty of tutorials here on xbox-scene and elsewhere if you need further help.
Come back here if you get stumped.

Nextelhalo

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2011, 09:03:00 PM »

Yes those points will be the one's to solder for your motherboard. Just remember if you choose to flash the TSOP you'll need a 1MB sized BIOS to use. I suggest using X2_5035. There is a 1MB flavor and a 512k flavor version of that bios, you need the 1MB. I havent used Heimdall's disc to flash a 1.0 but i'm sure he's included the BIOS needed.

That being said it would be best for you to do the solder points first, put it all back together with the softmodded hard drive in there. Pop in Heimdall's disc and flash your TSOP. After your done with that and the flash was successful you can pop in your new hard drive and use Hexen again to setup the drive and your on your way. Hope this helps, i know your frustrated but your almost there.

Cheers,

Nextelhalo

Nextelhalo

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2011, 11:01:00 PM »

That's pretty much it in a nutshell. When i started doing this and tried to learn on my own i found that the hardware modding part is easy but finding the steps to execute the software modding was difficult.  Do the soldering first, put it all back together.

Next is flashing the TSOP. I just check Hexen and it does not give the option to flash with the 1MB version X2_5035.  It looks like it would be easy to add the bios to Hexen but i would have to ask Heimdall if it's as easy as dropping the bios in the BIOS folder of the disc. If it's that easy to do you can use Hexen to flash it with just a few button pushes.  If Hexen is not an option you can use Evox(dashboard/app) to flash your TSOP too. Once you've flashed the TSOP it will be a snap to upgrade the hard drive.

Heimdall

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2011, 04:05:00 AM »

You don't need the 1MB BIOS - it will resize it automatically when flashing.

xboxmods2977

• Recovered User
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2011, 05:48:00 PM »

Try to boot your Hexen again. Will it boot to the disc? If so, make sure you have clean M$ dash on C and your preferred hacked dash on C as well. Also make sure you have x2config.ini on E drive.

xboxmods2977

• Recovered User
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2011, 05:58:00 PM »

Nevermind. Make sure your connections are all good. DVD Drive, Hard drive.

joblolovesguitar

• Archived User
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2011, 06:07:00 PM »

i happen to have an old pc cd drive with an IDE connection would i be able to just throw that in the xbox and boot up the disc to fix this problem,  yea all the connections are solid, also the dvd drive sounds normal now it just got loud a couple times i turned it on

xboxmods2977

• Recovered User
« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2011, 06:10:00 PM »

You will need a molex splitter, or some other means to power the PC drive, but it should work to boot the disc once again. If you get it, triple check everything before you shut the xbox off.

Things to check before you reboot or power off the xbox:
Make sure you have a clean set of "M$ C Drive" files on your C drive. Hexen will do that.
Make sure you have a hacked dash on your C drive. Hexen will do that.
Make sure you have your x2config.ini on your E drive. Hexen might do this. Not sure.

One other thing, to make the PC drive work in the xbox, you must make sure the power connector for the xbox disc drive is plugged into the original xbox disc drive or you will get a "missing dvd drive error", which is error 11, if I remember correctly.

xboxmods2977

• Recovered User
« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2011, 07:01:00 PM »

If it is a CD drive, then you can simply burn Hexen to a CD. It will fit.
By the way, did you get those adapters from deal extreme yet?

xboxmods2977

• Recovered User
« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2011, 07:17:00 PM »

QUOTE(steveo1978 @ Jul 30 2011, 02:10 AM) View Post

I might be wrong but I do not think a regular PC drive in an xbox can read a disk thats in a format for the xbox to read.
This only applies to Original Xbox Game Discs, but this..
QUOTE(steveo1978 @ Jul 30 2011, 02:10 AM) View Post

Also you can try to put your new drive in and see if it gives a different error.
is where I was going with the last question of my previous post.  biggrin.gif

joblolovesguitar

• Archived User
« Reply #11 on: July 29, 2011, 07:36:00 PM »

no my adapters havent came yet , i have an external dvd-rw dual layer that i just ripped apart and tried that but still error 21 i moved the jumper around and got an error 7 when i had it on cable select but other than no dice, i tried with the yellow xbox dvd power pluged in and out and still error 21 everytime, ok with both dvd and hdd ide's unplugged error 7 with power to both and without ,with hdd unplugged and comp. dvd plugged in error 9, im screwed aint i,       flubber comes up normal then theres about a ten second pause then error screen

xboxmods2977

• Recovered User
« Reply #12 on: July 29, 2011, 07:39:00 PM »

Ok, so do you have an IDE hard drive from a PC (at least 8 gb) laying around? and what does your flubber screen look like? The first thing you see if your bios actually got flashed is a black screen with white lettering that reads "loading config live" or something like that.

steveo1978

• Recovered User
« Reply #13 on: July 29, 2011, 07:43:00 PM »

You said the flubber was the same but is the X logo screen exactly the same. At the bootom of the X logo screen does it say something other then Microsoft?

Try this unplug the dvd drive but have the HDD plugged in and see if you can get error 12

joblolovesguitar

• Archived User
« Reply #14 on: July 29, 2011, 07:46:00 PM »

one thing i did find though when i ripped apart my dvd-rw drive it has a IDE to firewire board could i posibly pull out my xbox hdd and hook it to my laptop,,   yea it says microsoft at the x logo,  with just hdd , real quick to error 12 after logo
Pages: [1] 2 3