xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Hard Disk Broken (nearly Sure)  (Read 47 times)

yulbeast

• Archived User
Hard Disk Broken (nearly Sure)
« on: July 05, 2011, 03:19:00 AM »

After many years of heavy use, my xecuter2 modded xbox failed. I think the hdd died, as it crackles and beeps during boot (yes, I opened the box and the beeping comes directly from the hdd).

I've been out of the scene for so long that I don't remember nearly anything ... Could you tell me what software would build a new xbox hdd from scratch for a chip modded box?
Thanks.

I just want to have my xbox up and running xbmc. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad.gif)

shambles1980

• Recovered User
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2011, 04:02:00 AM »

QUOTE(yulbeast @ Jul 5 2011, 10:19 AM) *

After many years of heavy use, my xecuter2 modded xbox failed. I think the hdd died, as it crackles and beeps during boot (yes, I opened the box and the beeping comes directly from the hdd).

I've been out of the scene for so long that I don't remember nearly anything ... Could you tell me what software would build a new xbox hdd from scratch for a chip modded box?
Thanks.

I just want to have my xbox up and running xbmc. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad.gif)

xboxhdm to build disks.
you need some dash files though.
check out the xboxhdm topics
This is a basic tutorial for using it on locked drives.
http://forums.xbox-scene.com/index.php?showtopic=244043
obviously chipped systems dont need to have a locked hard disk so all you really need it to do is write the tables and populate the C and E partitions.
I dont know where you would get the dashboard files for that though..
prehaps hexen's xbox utility disk has them?
http://forums.xbox-scene.com/index.php?showtopic=729570
Infact Theres a good % chance that hexen can make you a new hard disk too so maybe you should just try that 1st, and then try to use it with xboxhdm if it cant...

taken this quote from What can hexen do
For chipped / flashed Xboxes:
* It only has the latest BIOSes, and all have LBA48 for large disk support
* It has a disk rebuilding option that automatically launches XBPartitioner 1.1 for extended partition formatting, so you don't get data corruption on large drives
* It can flash all TSOP types, including Winbond, and automatically set up the dashboards to work with the new BIOS.
* After TSOP flashing it has one-click cleaning for the disk, removing the softmod and installing a clean C.
* If you back out of the TSOP flash it has an option to clean up the disk and reset it to its original state.
* It installs Krayzie gamesaves on flashed Xboxes to provide a useful back door, in case your chip fails.

Google hexen to find it..
this seems to say that hexen can do it all for you from the xbox..

This post has been edited by shambles1980: Jul 5 2011, 11:24 AM

yulbeast

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2011, 05:50:00 AM »

Thanks! I've read the specs of this hexen disk, and it seems that it will do the trick.
Seems to be oriented to softmod, but has some utilities for TSOP or chip
I've seen also something about enabling HD video mode! (I didn't think xbox was capable of playing hd).

I supose I have lost all the games I had in the HD ... but it's been years since I used the xbox to play, so I'll stick to my good ol' xbmc

shambles1980

• Recovered User
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2011, 07:31:00 AM »

for hd output you need a hd av cable,
if the hard disk is dead then yes you will have lost all its contents.
Hexen seem to work good for almost everything i ever needed to do. I have softmoded boxes though so i tend to use xboxhdm to make my hard disks as i have to have the mods on the hard disk before its in the xbox. or  i need to use an aditional power supply to do it via hexen and hotswap the drives.

but id imagine because you have a chipped box then hexen can simply prepair your disk for you, Heimdall is usualy around here somewhere and would definatly know more about it than i do.
At worse though the hexen disk will have the dash files on the disk for you if you have to use xboxhdm, so either way i would definatly get it.

This post has been edited by shambles1980: Jul 5 2011, 02:34 PM

yulbeast

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2011, 12:43:00 PM »

I changed the HD and instead of the 9 error code I get a 16 error code. Looks good.

Got hexen, burned, restarted xbox with it inside ... and I get the 16 error screen but cut in diagonal (half black, half normal) and the hexen menu does not start.
I tried 3 different disks (a couple of cds and a dvd)
Also tried burning with nero and ultraiso.
Ultraiso identifies the iso as xbox dvd, so it should be fine, shouldn't it?

Now I'm trying to download hexen from another source and repeat.

Heimdall

• Archived User
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2011, 12:59:00 PM »

You should burn it to DVD-R at 4x or slower, and try using DVD Decrypter 3.5.4.0.

However, if you are getting Error 16 then it means you have an old BIOS that doesn't bypass the clock check, and you are probably in for a bit more messing about, using xboxhdm to build an unmodded hard disk with just the MS Dash files on (so you can set the clock), then using HeXEn to set up the modded dash and to reflash with a newer BIOS so that you never get Error 16 again.

But try reburning HeXEn and cold booting with it before going down that route. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)