xboxscene.org forums

Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Phished XBox Live Accounts In Circulation  (Read 589 times)

Xbox-Scene

• Archived User
Phished XBox Live Accounts In Circulation
« on: March 16, 2009, 06:44:00 PM »

Posted by XanTium | March 16 19:44 EST | News Category: Xbox360

From blog.spywareguide.com:

Today we came across a collection of approximately 270 sets of login details that have apparently been Phished via a fake XBox Live login page. The list, some 27 pages long in Word format, would allow people to access stolen XBox Live accounts, some of which may have credit card details stored against them (along with other forms of personal information, of course).

This list seems to be in circulation on a number of hacking forums; the majority of the accounts were phished between November and December of last year. Despite the relatively long time that's elapsed since the data was first collected, a lot of the accounts still seem to be accessible based on comments we're seeing on those underground sites. It seems someone might have put their personal stash on "general release" to gain some kudos with others.

Full Story: blog.spywareguide.com

somenutter

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2009, 07:52:00 PM »

laugh.gif

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2009, 06:50:00 PM »

QUOTE(somenutter @ Mar 17 2009, 03:28 AM) *

Nothing funny about this man, how do we check to see if our tag is included in said list?

BasicAir

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2009, 08:06:00 PM »

There will always be idiots out there.

"Phishing" means they get your login information by getting YOU to give it to them. How do they do this? 99% of them get it by setting up a fake MS or Xbox look-alike website that they link you to via a website or email link. They lure you to visit the link by saying one lie or another about you needing to update your information or what-not. So you go to their fake website, which they usually make look identical to the real website, and you "login" -- Only you didn't just login but you gave them your information.

If you are sure you never followed a link like this and "logged in" then you should be okay.

Phishing attempts like these happen for every sort of thing. If you ever get emails saying crap like that and needing to update your account, blah blah blah, never believe it. It's that simple.

The people who are on this list don't deserve to have their accounts compromised, of course. Some may be stupid, sure, but others may just be someone who doesn't know any better and fell for a well-designed 'trap' of sorts.

Paperstack.1

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2009, 08:09:00 PM »

QUOTE(somenutter @ Mar 16 2009, 07:28 PM) View Post
laugh.gif    

Nice to see that you find going through other peoples information funny, ass. I want you to make that same face when someone does identity fraud on you.

QUOTE(avatar1976 @ Mar 16 2009, 07:34 PM) View Post

Nothing funny about this man, how do we check to see if our tag is included in said list?

AFAIK, there is no way to check. Just change your password every once in a while.  wink.gif

metalcoat

• Archived User
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2009, 08:12:00 PM »

You could always check the hacking sites also.  But yes change your passwords.  Is it against policy to link to a forum containing the file?

CyberKnight

• Archived User
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2009, 08:15:00 PM »

QUOTE(BasicAir @ Mar 16 2009, 08:42 PM) View Post

"Phishing" means they get your login information by getting YOU to give it to them. How do they do this? 99% of them get it by setting up a fake MS or Xbox look-alike website that they link you to via a website or email link. They lure you to visit the link by saying one lie or another about you needing to update your information or what-not. So you go to their fake website, which they usually make look identical to the real website, and you "login" -- Only you didn't just login but you gave them your information.

Kind of like that PlayFire site?  (Oops, was that out loud?)

I like to think of myself as very careful with my login information.  I'm with avatar, though; when a list like this comes out, I like to make sure I'm not on it, just in case.  I don't take anything for granted.

Ranger72

• Archived User
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2009, 08:27:00 PM »

I am sorry but I find it hard to feel sorry for people who fall for these Phishing schemes.

I wish it was a law that everyone must pass a very basic anti phishing scheme exam before they are allowed on anything connected to the internet.

mrgreaper

• Archived User
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2009, 08:45:00 PM »

if you guys have this list i assume you have passed it on to microsoft so they can force users to change there passwords!

as for people saying that you need an anti phissing exam to get on the net or anyone thinking "users damn fault" you got to realise some of the fraudsters are VERY tallented and can trick even the most careful of users i have nothing but sympathy for the people on that list and nothing but hate for the ones that trade it about and use it
asfor the guy that laughed at it, hope he is banned

sekone

• Archived User
« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2009, 08:54:00 PM »

i got phished on this site last year. so my account is probably on that list. luckily, i got my account back with xbox customer service's help. it got hacked right before x-mas. and got it back at the end of january.

• Archived User
« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2009, 08:57:00 PM »

QUOTE(CyberKnight @ Mar 17 2009, 03:51 AM) View Post

Kind of like that PlayFire site?  (Oops, was that out loud?)

I like to think of myself as very careful with my login information.  I'm with avatar, though; when a list like this comes out, I like to make sure I'm not on it, just in case.  I don't take anything for granted.

Thanks for the info guys, and yes I know what phishing is, I see examples of it all the time where I work but there's other ways of obtaining information like this then Phishing.  Cookies in conjunction with browser exploits / malware are a classic example.  Like Cyber here says, it's just good to make sure.

kibito87

• Archived User
« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2009, 09:40:00 PM »

I would also like to know if my account is on that list. I'm banking on it not being there only because last time I checked I was able to sign on xbox live. But I would like to verify it's still not there. If anybody has the document or can atleast let me know if it's on the list via PM. Thank you!

Reaper527

• Archived User
« Reply #12 on: March 16, 2009, 10:01:00 PM »

wow, this is the 2nd story like this i've read today. earlier, i was reading about how the same thing happened to a bunch of comcast users. someone googled their own email address, and found a list on the web that had their account listed with password. comcast ended up stating that it wasn't a security breech on their end and must have been a phishing attempt.

nastyn8

• Archived User
« Reply #13 on: March 16, 2009, 10:02:00 PM »

I had someone the other day send me an message via xbox live that said he had a Microsoft points code generator and that if I gave him my account info he could add 100,000 points to my account. Of course I did not fall for it but others beware there is no such thing as a points generator. This is how they get your info. Also DONT give out information that will give clues to your security questions and dont give out your email address.

DeadPrez

• Archived User
« Reply #14 on: March 16, 2009, 10:14:00 PM »

Thats the exact reason I stay clear from xbox live or any association of my credit card with m$.... just to be able to log in to the account and see that information scares me..

just ixtreme that shit and play with xlink kai haha.. paid to play online is the stupidest thing I ever heard of .. havent they made enough money from charging people to fix "m$'s RROD problem " when the consumer shouldnt have to pay for a manufacturers defect..

ugh.. phishers are pathetic
Pages: [1] 2 3