xboxscene.org forums

Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Chips Vs. Flashed Drives: "The Official Thread"  (Read 417 times)

cheezwiz789

• Archived User
Chips Vs. Flashed Drives: "The Official Thread"
« Reply #30 on: June 08, 2007, 10:59:00 PM »

In light of the Live bannings, is firmware flashing still the way to go?  ph34r.gif

I am seriously thinking about installing a modchip... Xeno 360 or NME 1.2. Most likely the Xeno, because of less wires to solder on the Hitachi drive.
As far as I can tell, the optional ability to disable the network capabilities is both good and bad.
It is a good safeguard against accidentally trying to play backups online, but terrible for LAN only games...
I was thinking about installing a simple switch between the chip and the optional "network disabling" solder point. (never to be switched on/off unless the console is off of course)
Would this work/be a good idea?

LIVE Prophet

• Archived User
« Reply #31 on: August 18, 2007, 11:08:00 PM »

Since I have the time, I will type my insight on Chips vs Flashed Drives.  

First off, I will say that I personally prefer chips.  I actually like the idea of soldering, because its a skill of mine, but I also like the idea of knowing exactly what is going into my 360.  What I dont like about flashing is all the things I read about that go wrong. Every single day there are many numerous posts about flashing errors and bricked drives. It seems the only way to guarantee no errors is to buy an external flasher such as Xeno Top Gear, USB360, ect. but the problem is those things cost MORE than chips do!  You can purchase an NMEv1.2 for as low as $38 shipped, and a Xeno isn't much more (just search on google), whereas other flashers will cost upwards of $50 to $60 or more!  

Now I know that there have been errors also with people using chips, but that is due to some faulty designs and/or bad soldering job.  When purchasing a chip, just buy from a trusted company such as Xeno, but to clear things up the NME v1.2 chips are working good and even the malfunctioning ones can be fixed in a matter of seconds (just remove a coil and bridge with solder).  Any other errors are due to people who dont know how to solder, didnt use the right wire (I used 30awg), and a whole list of other problems that all boils down to simply not planning out the install and soldering job.  Its not hard at all, seriously.  The last Xeno install I did only took 1 hour, and that includes opening the case, measuring and stripping the wires, soldering the wires, insulating them, and closing everything back up.  Id like to point out here too that some people are scared off from installing chips because of the epoxy that is on the boards.  I can confirm to you that it is very easy to remove.  Seriously, even just using a sharp knife will quickly scrape away the glue, and surprisingly, the newer black epoxy is actually EASIER to remove!  

Id like to now write about exactly why I personally chose to go with chips from the beginning.  Flashing was not an easy process in the beginning as far as the needed hardware goes.  SATA cards were not supported until later, so unless you had a motherboard with a true SATA port or new someone with one, you were out of luck.  So to modchips it was.  And it turned out to be fun actually.  The whole process was easy to install, and everything worked perfectly.  I was also greatly discouraged by the vast number of people who bricked there drives even when they seemingly did everything correct, and that still happens today!  Also, in the beginning, the chips were seemingly safer when the first wave of errors and bans came, as no one with an NME or Xeno got banned or had errors, only those with firmware flashes!  The chips dont touch your original firmware, thats another thing I like about them, and they can also be powered off completely with a simple switch installed.

Now, as far as which will get you banned quicker, that is honestly up in the air.  I haven't been banned and have had my Xeno for many months.  Other have, and other haven't also.  I would think that firmwares are easier to detect though, but the latest iXtreme seems to be working great.  Chips are detected a whole nother way tho, and that is a topic a little too broad for me to start here and now.  Just know this, sooner or later, everyone will be banned.  I dont play on live a lot, but that in no way decreases my chances of being banned, because it has been found that MS is logging offline play.

This post will be continued later, I am tired lol

Ranger72

• Archived User
« Reply #32 on: January 31, 2009, 10:05:00 AM »

QUOTE(DarkHorseDre @ Jan 31 2009, 04:53 PM) View Post

Hi all,

I'm here as the (many, and lengthy) stickies pointed me here, however I see that these topics haven't been updated since 2007?!!!
So firstly, are there any updates on this topic?

Secondly, my questions don't seem to be fully answered in the many threads I've read, so here's my quandary:

I want to mod a few 360's for friends but I don't want to have to do future updates as they will live far from me (nothing worse than doing someone a favour, then having to deal with their shite forever more!).
  I understand that Firmware flashes require relatively frequent updates.
I need a hands off solution!

Now, my cousin had his xbox chipped over a year ago and he has not had to update anything, so this seems the way to go for me.
From what I've read, I think there could, one day, be the possibility of updating the chip (?) but from what I've just said, even if it does happen, it wont be as frequent as the amount of updates for any given DVD drive.
My original Xbox (1) was chipped and I never updated the firmware, and all was well (although admittedly I never played on live...)

I'm also looking for a recommendation on the simplest chip to install.  I've seen the firmware flashing technique depends on the drive you have, and that may be true for chipping.
I've seen the 360 blaster (I think that's the name) and it seems really easy to install - does it allow you to do what any other chip would?  If so then I could be sold on that solution! but...
  Is there any other simple chips that don't involve adding an external plug-on device like the blaster? (I don't want something for people to fiddle with or be too obvious if possible!)

Thats it from me, my first post - if I've broken a rule, I promise I didn't mean it!  If you must shoot me from a canon, please put my in head-first as I'd like to land on my feet!

DHD

Once a drive is flashed it should never need to be flashed again to play future backups.

You also have to consider that there is no chip that will work on the new Liteon drives that come with all new consoles from around April 07 on. These drive can only be flashed.

The 360 blaster is not a mod chip and does nothing to be able to play backups. All it does is allows an interface with the drive to make it a little easier to flash some drives.

Another bad option about the chips is that you need to make the backups a little different from the normal stealth backups that you use for a flashed drive.

The ONLY benefit that used to be said about the chips was that they was safer for Live. This is no longer the case as even chipped drives has still been banned.  

BoNg420

• Archived User
« Reply #33 on: January 31, 2009, 10:18:00 AM »

Plain and simple...

XBOX 360 DVD DRIVE MODCHIPS ARE A WASTE OF MONEY NO MATTER HOW YOU LOOK AT IT.  

The flashed firmware will provide better protection IMO.

Ranger72

• Archived User
« Reply #34 on: January 31, 2009, 05:42:00 PM »

There is MAYBE 1 firmware update a year. No update will be needed to to play backups in the future. Even very old firmware hacks from a couple years ago will still load backups.

The only thing a future firmware hack will do is maybe make it a little safer for Live. But as long as you are making your own backups this should never be an issue.

But the common theme for you seems to be Live protection. I will put this as bluntly as possible. ANY MOD OF ANY KIND THAT ALLOWS YOU TO PLAY BACKUPS WILL OPEN A CHANCE FOR A BAN NO MATTER WHAT THE MOD IS!

You are correct about the Blaster. A couple years ago with the older non Live safe firmware you could put the Samsung drives into 0800 mode that allowed you to dump games to the PC using the Blaster without opening the case. This only worked on the Samsung drives and no longer works with the newer Live safe firmware hacks. This now makes the Blaster an expensive paper weight.

It is your choice if you want to use a chip. It is a little risky and pricey but that is your choice. All we are saying is that you wont get any benefit from a chip over a flash but to some that is not a problem.

I hope this answers some of your questions.

Ranger72

• Archived User
« Reply #35 on: January 31, 2009, 06:17:00 PM »

QUOTE(DarkHorseDre @ Feb 1 2009, 02:41 AM) View Post

Hold the phone jeeves, what's the relationship between my 'own backups' and, er, anything else?
DHD

Because if you make your own backups you know they are proper and stealth. If not then you don't know for sure and most important that is piracy and wont be tolerated here.

dumpav

• Archived User
« Reply #36 on: March 03, 2010, 01:32:00 PM »

i just order and new acrade edition last week, can these box/drive able to be flashed?

thanks!
Pages: 1 2 [3]