xboxscene.org forums

Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Chips Vs. Flashed Drives: "The Official Thread"  (Read 422 times)

getchevyn

• Archived User
Chips Vs. Flashed Drives: "The Official Thread"
« Reply #15 on: January 21, 2007, 09:32:00 PM »

I got a question about banning. Did M$ ever banned anyone on the original XBOX after finding out they were modified?  If so, did they just banned you from Live or did they actually cause the XBOX to not function at all. If they can't destroy your XBOX 360, then playing backups on a modified XBOX without Live isn't a great lost.

jesterrace777

• Archived User
« Reply #16 on: January 22, 2007, 01:02:00 AM »

Some of them actually got screwed up (not just banned).  The results kind of varried.  As for them being able to do anything else there was the possibility that the newer games would come with some auto-firmware update but no one knows for sure.  As mentioned by Catty Kid no one can say for sure.  For me, it's well worth the risk since I really don't care about live and my mod saved my butt within the first week of modding my 360 (Purchased a defective original from gamestop but the game didn't fail until after the return policy had expired).  If I really get a wild hair up my ass to do online gaming then I just go on XBC.  Most of the time though I don't bother as my skills aren't up to par with the average uber-geek who's whole existence is to sit in their parents basements and become experts at a given game.  That and I don't really care to be fragged all of the time by a trash-talking 14 year-old.

This post has been edited by jesterrace777: Jan 22 2007, 09:04 AM

new360

• Archived User
« Reply #17 on: January 22, 2007, 08:18:00 PM »

if MS could affect the xbox this surly would only be at a software level so surly there would be fixes for this?

jesterrace777

• Archived User
« Reply #18 on: January 23, 2007, 03:20:00 AM »

As long as there is enough demand someone will figure out a way around it.  Anyone who claims that something is unhackable is making false claims.  Look what happened to the chumps at Sony.  They released an updated protection on their movie discs that was supposed to be unhackable (Arccos).  Less than 3 weeks later a freeware program had a fix that bypassed it.   laugh.gif

Vibers

• Archived User
« Reply #19 on: January 23, 2007, 05:10:00 PM »

I finally picked up my new 360.. I was going to install a chip, but if there is almost no different between a chipped one, and a flashed dvd rom, i'll probably just go for that.
Does anyone know a good tutorial for flashing the H/L drive, and is there more than one firmware? If so, what firmware should i use?

scsa

• Archived User
« Reply #20 on: March 10, 2007, 01:40:00 PM »

just wondering what is better
i'm not talking about how much it cost

what should i get when i buy my 360

thanks

DarrenR

• Archived User
« Reply #21 on: March 10, 2007, 04:31:00 PM »

Do a firmware hack (it's easily reversible if you don't want it).

This post has been edited by DarrenR: Mar 11 2007, 12:31 AM

unmach

• Archived User
« Reply #22 on: March 10, 2007, 04:45:00 PM »

I definitely prefer FW.  Right now they both do the same thing, but fw you can update (like if M$ comes up w/ a fix or something for your chip, what will you do, buy another?  If they come up w/ something to detect fw, you just flash when the new version arrives) and as said, is fully reversible.  If you were to flash back to your original.bin, with the exception of breaking the M$ seal, your box is back to where it was w/ no way of telling it was modded.
Until modchips allow unsigned code to be run, I don't see the point in getting one.

sosotiit

• Archived User
« Reply #23 on: March 10, 2007, 05:13:00 PM »

moved to newbie modchip vs flashed official thread

rgds,soso

mickey797

• Archived User
« Reply #24 on: April 06, 2007, 11:59:00 AM »

Ave,

I have a Question. This may have been answered somewhere before, but I'm trying to stick to this thread as it pertains to the exact answers I have been looking for.

Well, my Question is - for the time being - (that is, until M$ finds out about flash drives and starts banning) - After flashing firmware, are we still able to connect to Live? I have my Live Silver Membership. I'm not much into Gaming Online - but I do like to keep my Achievements, Download Demos, Trailers - things like that. Basically what I'm asking is - if I flash my firmware, will I still be able to go Live while playing and add to my achievements, keep my achievement Scores, access the Live Marketplace to download Demos & Trailers - and as for Achievements, will they only work with Original Games, or backups as well?

Thanks!

Havok

• Archived User
« Reply #25 on: April 06, 2007, 02:34:00 PM »

You can go on Live with a modded firmware currently without any problems.  If MS does anything about it it will be on the front news page.

As far as backups.  It is against the Live TOS to use backups on the service.  Since we are an upstanding site, our advice is that only real discs should be used on Live.

mickey797

• Archived User
« Reply #26 on: April 06, 2007, 05:48:00 PM »

QUOTE(Havok @ Apr 6 2007, 09:41 PM) View Post
As far as backups.  It is against the Live TOS to use backups on the service.  Since we are an upstanding site, our advice is that only real discs should be used on Live.

Thanks.
Firstly, I certainly don't care if I can't keep my Achievements Online playing backups, that's fine by me. If I can keep my Achievements Online playing Originals, i'm happy. The only Question that I have now is, looing past the advice (which I most certainly will heed), if let's say one did, by accident, go Live with a Backup, would that pose any problem or cause any screw up?

Other then that if I can still visit Marketplace, download demos & trailers, keep my Achievements & Scores Online playing Original Games - then I think i'm going to start studying the process.

Much Appreciated.

sosotiit

• Archived User
« Reply #27 on: May 04, 2007, 07:46:00 PM »

so far no updates affected the modchip or flashed drive operations

as for the future, ???

unr3al

• Archived User
« Reply #28 on: May 16, 2007, 11:26:00 AM »

I have spent a lot of time reading through an endless number of posts and tutorials now regarding the ability to flash your Xbox360 dvd firmware however I do not see much discusison regarding modchip installation.  I'm wondering if anyone can list the basic advantages and disadvantages of the two mods aside from what I already know, or simply state your opinion on which you prefer and why.

From what I have gathered so far the advantage of a modchip is that you do not have to re-flash every couple of months and the ethernet conection can be optionally disabled upon insertion of a backup thus preventing chances of being banned from live should MS begin to do so.  On the down side a modchip costs a decent chunk of money and requires tampering/soldering with the motherboard.  I have experience modding Xbox1 several times and am aware of all of the benefits gained from doing so (ie being able to run homebrew software) but as far as I can tell the Xbox360 modchip/s do not allow such features at this point.

The firmware flash has the benefit of being a free mod and it seems to be a relatively straight forward process via the unofficial v41 firmware tutorial for a Samsung drive (excellent work by the way guys) such that no soldering is required, but we all no this doesn't mean there isn't potential for disaster.  On the down side it is still unknown if there will be any negative consequences for running hacked firmware from MS in the form of a live ban and a re-flash is required every few months.  That being said I have been told that some MS updates work without requiring re-flashing (maybe they meant just game updates as opposed to dashboard updates) so what exactly are the circumstances where a re-flash is required?

Before I decide to do one or the other I just want to make sure that I all my basis covered.

sosotiit

• Archived User
« Reply #29 on: May 16, 2007, 12:36:00 PM »

merged  not to loose the info  wink.gif
-soso
Pages: 1 [2] 3