xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: 12volt Mod, X-lamp Replaced, Card Over Gpu Still Getting Error 0020  (Read 56 times)

wans

• Archived User

Hi guys,

A long time ago my xbox started freezing  so i did the 12 volt mod to the fan which seemed to work for about 2 months then the xbox got the old 3 red lights cant remember the code right now but it was generic gpu/cpu failure.
After replacing the xclamps all went well for another 2 months untill it started 3 red lighting again, now with an 0020 error, which is unknown possible overheating.  I have taken the gpu and cpu heat sinks off and cleaned them and re pasted them both yet the problem persists.  

Sometimes it works, sometimes i just go straight to red lights.

Any idea's?

Glitch Lord

• Archived User
12volt Mod, X-lamp Replaced, Card Over Gpu Still Getting Error 0020
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2007, 07:11:00 PM »

I had 0020 and what i did was just re-apply the thermal paste. then put the screws in snug but not tight, then left to overheat for 2 mins without fans, then tightened the screws snug and left it to cool. then turned it on and it worked. only thing is you might have to fiddle with the screws alot. if the overheat method doesn't work the first time, don't keep doing it, it may wreck your 360!  (IMG:style_emoticons/default/pop.gif)

wans

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2007, 07:16:00 PM »

will try that now and post back, thanks!

wans

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2007, 07:27:00 PM »

QUOTE(Glitch Lord @ Nov 19 2007, 03:11 AM) *

I had 0020 and what i did was just re-apply the thermal paste. then put the screws in snug but not tight, then left to overheat for 2 mins without fans, then tightened the screws snug and left it to cool. then turned it on and it worked. only thing is you might have to fiddle with the screws alot. if the overheat method doesn't work the first time, don't keep doing it, it may wreck your 360!  (IMG:style_emoticons/default/pop.gif)

Well i just tried it, i had my screws fairly tight so i loosened them off and unplugged the fans, as soo as the box began to overheat indicated by three lights turning to two i powered off and tightened the screws back up.

Powered on and was greeted a green swirl of goodness.

You sir are a star, thank you very much!

brandogg

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2007, 08:28:00 PM »

Remember the 12v mod and fan shroud mod aren't fixes per se - they're more like preventative maintenance.

wans

• Archived User
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2007, 12:06:00 AM »

QUOTE(brandogg @ Nov 19 2007, 04:28 AM) *

Remember the 12v mod and fan shroud mod aren't fixes per se - they're more like preventative maintenance.

Yeah i get that, i live in southern spain and it gets pretty damn hot here in the summer so i figured other than water cooling the 12 volt and shroud mod would be wise.

The only bad thing about it is the increased noise from the fans.  Still if your willing to go the x clamp route you might as well go all the way right?