xboxscene.org forums

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Going To Pick Up This Babe This Week End  (Read 213 times)

unrealskill

• Archived User
Going To Pick Up This Babe This Week End
« on: March 28, 2006, 11:08:00 PM »

look at her  the most i could spend was 300 tell me what you think  if you think it sucks iis ther any other one in   bestbuy that better for 300 or less let me know that or cucit city thanks

-ben

C o s m o

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2006, 07:37:00 AM »

Not enough optical inputs (only 1)...I think you'll be disappointed overall.  If you have (like me) 1Xbox, 1 360, and 1 satellite reciever, that is 3 fiber optic connections.  By today's standards, even an affordable receiver should have more optical digital inputs.
You could go with something like THIS, which has 2 optical inputs and, from what I have read, decent customer reviews.
Just my $.02 beerchug.gif

Edit-I also noticed that a refurb is $249.

ikecomp

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2006, 09:29:00 AM »

QUOTE(C o s m o @ Mar 29 2006, 09:44 AM) View Post

Not enough optical inputs (only 1)...I think you'll be disappointed overall.  If you have (like me) 1Xbox, 1 360, and 1 satellite reciever, that is 3 fiber optic connections.  By today's standards, even an affordable receiver should have more optical digital inputs.
You could go with something like THIS, which has 2 optical inputs and, from what I have read, decent customer reviews.
Just my $.02 beerchug.gif

Edit-I also noticed that a refurb is $249.

In the description it only says it has 1 optical input

Product Description
This fantastic Samsung Home Theater in a Box system delivers great sound instantly. Just connect it to your TV or HDTV and begin enjoying rich surround sound right away. The 800-watt system features a 5-disc DVD player that handles DVD-audio, DivX, JPEG, MP3 and WMA discs. Wireless Bluetooth technology makes rear speaker installation a breeze. The wide center speaker provides great dialogue sound. Five surround sound speakers provide 134 watts each, plus an 8" Bass Reflex Passive subwoofer with 130 watts of power for 800 total watts of power. Features 2 composite video inputs, 1 composite video output and 1 optical digital audio input.

twistedsymphony

• Recovered User
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2006, 09:45:00 AM »

Total System Power  The total amount of peak power an amplifier is capable of producing as a brief burst. For example, a system that is capable of producing 100 watts of peak power for each of 6 speakers would have a total system power rating of 600 watts. "Total System Power" is usually not as helpful a measurement as "RMS Power", which measures the amount of continuous power that an amplifier produces.

and even after they say that they still don't provide the RMS power of the system  dry.gif

Other things to keep in mind
SIZE DOES MATTER - While I'm not suggesting you go out and buy some monstrous speakers. 6 little cubes hanging out around your room typically wont cut it unless your surround area is about the size of a cubicle. If you room is 10x10 or larger you should go with AT VERY LEAST 2 way satellites and and a 10" woofer. you can get away with an 8" maybe if you take some care in placing it properly with some good surrounding sound surfaces. Ideally you'd want a 12" but I don't think those start popping up in these "home theater in a box" system until the $500 range. AS for me I've got 2 15" sub woofers.  happy.gif (and 2 12" subs in my car).

The More (inputs) the merrier - The proper number of inputs your system should have is = the number of devices you own + 1. The only exception is if you're using an external device to handle your Audio and Video switching for you. I bought my receiver before Component video was popular so all it has is S-Video inputs/outputs, it handles audio switching very well though, Because of this I use a stand alone AV switch and the receiver is permanently set to one audio input, the video inputs aren't even used. I wouldn't worry about video inputs when looking for a receiver (they're nice but not necessary)

Definitely make sure it supports both Optical AND Coaxial digital formats, preferably multiple of each. Also make sure it includes a "5.1-Channel Input" this is a discrete pre-amp analog input that will allow you to add an external decoder should a new surround sound format arrive that your receiver doesn't support, also SACDs and DVD-A discs often run at a higher sample rate then what can be supported through current digital inputs and the only way to get their full potential is through one of these discrete analog "5.1-Channel input"s.

Similarly you'll want to make sure your receiver accepts the latest and greatest Standards, typically these don't cost but pennies for manufacturers to add to their system so you shouldn't have any problems finding systems that offer them. Dolby Pro Logic II, Dolby Digital, and DTS should be pre-requisites, if it doesn't include at least those, DO NOT BUY IT. Other formats that it should include (for future-proofing and expanding it's compatibility with current products) DTS 96/24 (for DTS audio discs), DTS:Neo6 (for analog 6 channel surround), DTS ES (for digital 6 and 7 channel surround), Dolby Digital EX (for digital 6 and 7 channel surround), Dolby Pro Logic IIx (for analog 6 and 7 channel surround).

Finally Avoid any and ALL system that integrade the DVD player into the reciever, it's fine if they bundle both into the same box but making them the same unit just oozes cheapness and you'll probably be lucky if the unit lasts more then a year...

EDIT: Looking around the site, if money was no object and I HAD to order something from Best Buy.com I'd probably get this one right here: http://www.bestbuy.c...d=1122654578991

It's not anywhere near the most expensive but IMO it's the highest quality most expandable/upgradable unit they have for sale on the site.

unrealskill

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2006, 03:31:00 PM »

damn i would get the yahmaa but its not in the bestbuy close to me but besides that do you think the one i frist picked is really that bad i mean its going in my bed room to play my 360 and watch moves and i have a kinda small room i think it will work

SniperKilla

• Archived User
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2006, 04:04:00 PM »

for the sub 300 range.. you really cant touch the Onkyo HT-S580.. even tho it has 1 optical and 1 coax in, its a very very nice system.. and you can lookup reviews that say the same...

unrealskill

• Archived User
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2006, 07:35:00 PM »

what about this one nice one

i could also go to crict city right next door to bestbuy

SniperKilla

• Archived User
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2006, 07:56:00 PM »

QUOTE(unrealskill @ Mar 29 2006, 09:42 PM) View Post

what about this one nice one

i could also go to crict city right next door to bestbuy

go to ccity and get your self a HT-S580 wink.gif

yeah auto, i just bought a HT-S770 (last years top of the line 6.1 system) off a kid at work for $220.. couldent be happier

unrealskill

• Archived User
« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2006, 09:34:00 PM »

i think im set on the Onkyo for $299 but the only thing that worrys me is the 2 ditgtal inputs on it dose that mean i can only hook up my 360 and my xbox or only my 360?? thats the only thing keeping me from 100% getting the Onkyo oh also how is the bass on the Onkyo i love bass smile.gif

Owtlaw333

• Archived User
« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2006, 12:01:00 AM »

QUOTE(unrealskill @ Mar 29 2006, 08:41 PM) View Post

i think im set on the Onkyo for $299 but the only thing that worrys me is the 2 ditgtal inputs on it dose that mean i can only hook up my 360 and my xbox or only my 360?? thats the only thing keeping me from 100% getting the Onkyo oh also how is the bass on the Onkyo i love bass smile.gif

If ur worried about inputs, just get a switch like auto said and don't even worry about it. You'll save a lil money by going that route (usually)

lowendfrequency

• Archived User
« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2006, 06:50:00 AM »

I also own the Onkyo HT-S580.  While it's not quite up to audiophile standards, it is definatly a great system for the price ($250).  It's louder than I'd ever need it to be, with crisp clear treble and smooth bass response.  For an inexpensive HTiB, it's definatly one of the better units.

http://www.circuitci...roductDetail.do

twistedsymphony

• Recovered User
« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2006, 08:07:00 AM »

I'd agree on the Onkyo HT-S580, I still like that first Yamaha I picked out but I like the Onkyo as a very close 2nd, and it's a bit cheaper.

You are correct in that you'll only be able to hook up either your Xbox 1 or Xbox 360 to surround sound at a time with the Onkyo's 1 Optical input. You could mod a digital input into your Xbox 1 if you wanted but I don't know how into modding you are (it's a very simple task if you can solder).

Also autoxerFSP21, That "Pelican" Selector is actually a re-branded "SCORE" selector... I just ordered one a couple of days ago... you can tell because the remote still has the "SCORE" logo on it  laugh.gif As much as I love newegg you can get it cheaper and with free shipping and choice of colors (Silver, Black, White) at http://www.shop4tech.com

I actually started a thread about it here: http://forums.xbox-s...howtopic=501250

Now unrealskill, if you're worried about inputs pick up that bad boy and you wont have to worry about them for a while  wink.gif

unrealskill

• Archived User
« Reply #12 on: March 30, 2006, 05:07:00 PM »

update im going to look at the systems tomorrow(friday) im going to bestbuy and criut city im bring some cds to test them wish me luck ill tell you wich one i get

-ben

ps do you think i should get that Pelican slecter thing then i could hook up my 360 and my xbox and what gage wire should i get with it

autoxerFSP21

• Archived User
« Reply #13 on: March 30, 2006, 06:19:00 PM »

QUOTE(unrealskill @ Mar 30 2006, 07:14 PM) View Post

ps do you think i should get that Pelican slecter thing then i could hook up my 360 and my xbox and what gage wire should i get with it

If you want to be able to have your xbox and 360 hooked up to your reciever at the same time you'll need some sort of swith. The Score (Pelican) selector mentioned is a good switch from my experience. You won't be running copper cable for the sound if you want digital audio. You need 3 toslink cables(1 for the xbox, 1 for the 360, and 1 to go to the reciever). You will also need a set of video cables to run from the switch to your tv.

Monoprice.com is a good place to get decent cables at a good price.

LESTAT

• Archived User
« Reply #14 on: March 31, 2006, 07:55:00 AM »

Total Harmonic Distortion - Speakers: 10% @ 1kHz; subwoofer: 10% @ 100Hz

i have NEVER!!! seen a THD that high.   if that dont tell you something my friends then i dont know what will..

i have never seen a THD on anything go higher than 0.10% for heavens sake.

technically an R-on=250ohm load only produces 0.25% THD when using the proper calculations

man you would be getting some MASSSSSSIIVVVVEEEE distortion when turning that thing up past NORMAL listening levels.

here is where the THD should be.. http://www.amazon.co...glance&n=172282   just scroll down to read it.

man i cant believe that... that has to be a typo..  10% THD  thats nearly impossible... i mean seriously
Pages: [1] 2