xboxscene.org forums

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Plasma Tv I'm Thinking Of Buying  (Read 209 times)

IAmCanadian

• Archived User
Plasma Tv I'm Thinking Of Buying
« Reply #15 on: December 08, 2005, 09:21:00 PM »

No, I'm not that old, I would be able to pay it off in about 1 year... so it isn't that bad.

eversio11

• Archived User
« Reply #16 on: December 09, 2005, 12:13:00 PM »

QUOTE(IAmCanadian @ Dec 8 2005, 10:28 PM) View Post

No, I'm not that old, I would be able to pay it off in about 1 year... so it isn't that bad.

You're still in high school and you're planning on buying a $5000 TV? dry.gif

Kids these days..

deacon187

• Archived User
« Reply #17 on: December 09, 2005, 08:20:00 PM »

which ever set you choose to purchase, make sure you have enough space to sit far enough away, i have a 55" wide screen in my living room and the farthest i can sit is about 9 feet, (thank you M$ for wirless controllers with head set support)  for television viewing its fine but for gaming, alot of the time i cant pay attention to the entire screen and in some games its very important to be able to see whats going on in the entire screen

spinr34

• Archived User
« Reply #18 on: December 10, 2005, 12:24:00 PM »

i'd say get the plasma, and the dell one (if you can afford it) prolly one of the nicest.  i got a dell lcd that i use as a spare, works like champ, i put my original modded xbox on it biggrin.gif  burn in on lcd's does exist but they call it "image persistence" and usually can be correct pretty easy if it does occur.  Everything you get is prone to burn in, that's just how it is.  some have more resistance than others but nothing is completely risk free of burn in.  i say just buy what you want, look at some in real life at stores so you can compare quality.  someone else mentioned the sony sxrd, i'd say it'd be a good thing to look into.  but yeah, just buy what you want, you're the one using it ;p

unrealskill

• Archived User
« Reply #19 on: December 10, 2005, 10:01:00 PM »

LOL

JaredC01

• Archived User
« Reply #20 on: December 11, 2005, 11:23:00 AM »

Why are you so bent on getting a 50" TV?  Where do you plan on putting the TV?  If you want my opinion, for a bedroom, a 32" or 37" widescreen should be plenty big enough.

If you're stuck on Dell, look at the two on the left here...
http://www1.ca.dell....DHS1&l=en&s=dhs

There are many other options though.  I'd personally go LCD over plasma, but that's just me.

Ballz2TheWallz

• Archived User
« Reply #21 on: December 11, 2005, 12:07:00 PM »

dude good luck, that tv would probably have significantly decreased quality by the time 4years is up, plasmas will not last forever and i think there native res only goes up to 1024x1024(yes, the pixels are rectangular so thats why the tv isnt square)

IAmCanadian

• Archived User
« Reply #22 on: December 11, 2005, 04:39:00 PM »

Ballz2TheWallz.

Do you know how they judge the life span of a plasma?

Leave it running untill it reaches 50% of it's original brightness, which in this case, is 30,000 hours.. I don't know about you, but I dont leave my tv on 24/7.. Maybe 5 hours out of the day.

It's not going in my bedroom so I have plenty of room to view it

shooptek

• Archived User
« Reply #23 on: December 13, 2005, 11:35:00 AM »

Do you need to conserve space?  Is that why you chose plasma?

Because in my opinion (and I am sure many others agree) CRT HDTV's still have the sharpest, cripest picture out there, any way you look at it.

Look for a really nice CRT, there are definetly some out there, and they are definetly cheaper than that Dell Plasma.

nextlevelmp

• Archived User
« Reply #24 on: December 14, 2005, 08:52:00 PM »

QUOTE(IAmCanadian @ Dec 7 2005, 03:40 PM) View Post

I wont play 360 24/7 on it. so I should be fine.

I agree with the idea of going to future shop and applying for a card.  As far as plasma burn or "static retention"  I play xbox, ps2 and 360 all the time for hours at a time on my days off and zero issues.  Its ok to play on plasmas as long as you know how to protect them.  You want to avoid playing or watching things in the 4:3 aspect ratio (square screen with lines on the sides).  You can burn in the bars over time.  Games are the same but if you play everything and make it fill the screen, you have little to fear short of putting the tv on pause for a long period of time.  Ten to 15 minutes is nothing to worry about as plasmas have software built in these days to avoid such problems.  Mine has something called "orbitor' which moves the pixels clockwise in 2 minute invervals to avoid them being in the same place all the time at the same temperature. They do have the sharpest picture along with flat panel lcds but plasma has a better motion on screen due to lcd having a very slow ms speed in almost all cases.  Dlp is good but like projection lcds, the bulbs do not last long and go for anywhere up to 150 to 400+ per 3000 to 8000 hours!  We replace them almost every 6 months at my retail electronics store I work at.  My home theater department constantly has to replace bulbs.  

I would also try to get the highest resolution you can afford.  You can get most plasmas in the 50 inch range with 1366x 768 which is really sharp.  There are a handful of lcd flat panels with 1920 x 1080 resolution but they are uber expensive right now.  I suggest Pioneer or the panasonic ONYX series.  The onyx series by panasonic has the best motion on screen so far!  This thing moves better than anything you have ever seen before. Take note of how easy it moves from left to right and you will see the difference.  The Pioneer also has a beautiful motion on screen, its own media box which allows you to plug all your equiptment into it and it has more jacks than most plasmas as well as one of the only plasmas that has 3by 3 pulldown for a better framerate(simple definition).   Future shop is really best buy for Canada.  I dont know if they carry pioneer at future shop but you can get no interest in most cases or low interest for 48 months.  A great option for monthly payments.  MY best words of advice, no matter the tv... BUY THE BEST quality wiring for picture, get a power surge unit and a voltage stabalizer and it will add about 4 years average life to all your equiptment.  A service plan is also a really good idea too. I only wish I could tell you how many pieces I have seen come back defective over the years after the 30 day return time is up.  Working at circuit city, best buy and sears in the past, I can't strees this enough.   Hope you get something out of this extremely long reply.  Sorry for such a long explaination people.  rolleyes.gif

webslinginwr22

• Archived User
« Reply #25 on: December 19, 2005, 01:50:00 PM »

I'd like to add to what nextlevelmp said. I work in the HT dept. at Best Buy right now and i've heard all kinds of myths and rumors about every kind of tv that is out right now.

Most newer plasmas have been tested for burn-in. It usually takes 48 hours of a single still picture to burn the image in. Even if there is some slight burn-in after hours and hours of a still image it usually goes away after a few minutes of a picture that is moving. And yes, the half-life on most newer plasmas are near 60,000 hours.

Speaking of burn-in, LCD's are also at risk to burn-in. Go into a best buy and check out some of their LCD tvs that are hooked up to computers and change the screen, you'll see the best buy "screen saver" burnt in. DLP has no chance for burn-in and if ur lookin for a big screen for less money/inch, it's a good choice.

To the person that said to go w/ a 37" CRT, they still have risk of burn-in, they weigh around 250 lbs, they take up a lot of space, you can see the "pixels" on them much easier than most other tvs, oh and they're still usually around $1500 US (sony).

If you can afford it, check out the 50" Sony SXRD projection. They're Sony's newest LCoS (Liquid Crystal on Silicon). This TV has a 1080 native resolution, higher than any other tv that we currently have at our best buy (including the pioneer plasma). I played my 360 on this Sony the first day that i had it. It was amazing. No "ghosting" or motion blur, bright, awesome picture, and the colors and contrast are damn near plasma quality.

So, I brought my 360 in again and hooked it up to a couple other tvs because I myself am lookin to get a new big screen. First I tried a 42" LG plasma, not to bad of a picture on this one, the blacks in the games were nice and dark. Then I tried the 42" Toshiba, the picture was nice, but the blacks were kind of hazy and there was slight color bleeding around the edges of characters and objects when looking around in COD 2.

After playin the 360 in the store for about 3 hours (it was my day off), I decided to go w/ the 50" Sony SXRD.

All in all, dont listen to all the rumors out there about plasmas, yes they can get burn-in, if you leave it on for 48 hours of a still picture. CRT's and LCD's can also get burn-in, but even those will take a long time for it to happen. DLP is the only type of tv that CANNOT get burn-in, and they are usually cheaper $$ per inch.

So, it really comes down to, what size you want, how much space do you want to save, and what picture quality you want.
Pages: 1 [2]