xboxscene.org forums

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: Oblivion: PC VS Xbox 360  (Read 215 times)

davinator456

• Archived User
Oblivion: PC VS Xbox 360
« Reply #15 on: April 05, 2006, 11:12:00 AM »

i prefer console games.  oblivion does look nice ona high end pc.
(mine would probably look liek the first pic  for the low end) so i like my 360!

ravage73

• Archived User
« Reply #16 on: April 05, 2006, 10:46:00 AM »

u dont need a big ass rig to play this on pc. i am running a 2500+, 1gig of ram, and a 6600gt, and i have "almost" everything maxed out. (except shadows) i dont need to run aa since i have it running in 1280-1024 resolution.

Foe-hammer

• Archived User
« Reply #17 on: April 05, 2006, 11:23:00 AM »

Quote from article:
...since Oblivion is missing a southpaw control configuration for lefties.

They are wrong on this, because i use 'southpaw' control configuration on oblivion.  While there is no actual ingame option to enable southpaw you can enable it in the 360 dashboard, and it will carry over in oblivion.

twistedsymphony

• Recovered User
« Reply #18 on: April 05, 2006, 11:20:00 AM »

QUOTE(Foe-hammer @ Apr 5 2006, 05:17 AM) View Post
- No Self-shadowing in 360
If you notice the "high end PC" image had self shadowing, the horses tail was creating a Shadow on the horses ass  laugh.gif Something that's not present in the 360 screenshots.

While I agree that Consoles will NEVER be as good as the latest PC equipment, I think the fine line we're seeing right now will last a good year or two. Because as the PC hardware advances so will the utilization of the static console's hardware and software. So in another 6 months we'll have new graphics cards that make these oblivion screen shots look passé but at the same time we'll also have comparative Xbox 360 games because developers will be able to tap into the power better. Eventually the PC will pull out a easily noticable amout a head and shortly after that we'll be on to the NEXT generation of consoles, and the process repeats itself.

Even still I felt the high end PC was difficult to compare, while I thought the PC at that level was more vibrant, and had slightly more detailed textures, overall the Xbox 360 drew me in more then the PC for the simple reason of AA. Even at the high end level the edges of everything just stuck out and screamed at me "I'm a 3D object, I'm not real"

QUOTE(lowendfrequency @ Apr 5 2006, 09:38 AM) View Post

...I thought that article was fair, and the comparison images were nice.    Sure I would have loved an extra 20ft of draw-distance on my foliage, but I'm running an ancient GeForce4Ti 128 card that would run the other direction if I put Oblivion in.   Plus, I have a nice 32" HDTV and a surround system in the living room.  I also prefer to play games like this in the reclining position, perhaps with a beer or two.   beerchug.gif
I'm in the same boat as you, I've never in my live had a "top of the line PC" I've just never been able to afford it, and the few time I've splurged and got a way overpriced video card, it always feels like at that very moment the next week something better comes out and the one I just spent $300-$400 on dropped down to the $100-$150 range... Even still worrying about compatibility issues with my hardware. I fondly remember pre-ordering Unreal Tournament only to find out it didn't support my processor and I had to wait 2 months for a patch to come out, and by the time the patch came out the price had dropped   dry.gif  Then because I didn't like to use a keyboard and mouse I'd spend hours trying to tweak my game pad so it played right.

Now I have a home theater room in my basement, I've got a DLP projector, a Giant comfy red couch that can seat 10 people and a massive piece built 6.1 Surround sound worth a few grand itself. I've spent way more on my home theater system then I've ever spent on a PC, but to me it's worth it; for my money I'm willing to take lower graphical prowess for the ability to pop in my new disc sit down and just play my game, no wasting time waiting for it to install, no wasting time waiting for patches, no wasting time configuring my controls. I can just sit and enjoy my game.

Killa420

• Archived User
« Reply #19 on: April 05, 2006, 12:23:00 PM »

I started off on the pc version and to me, yea it does look better, not a WHOLE lot better but you can tell. My pc played it fine. 3.4 ghz, 4 gigs ddr 2 ram, geforce 7800. The only thing I didnt like is when I hooked up my 360 control to play it, you couldnt use the trigger buttons for some reason. I like a mouse and keyboard for fps games but this game I rather a controller so I sold it to a friend and bought the 360 version. My game has locked up a couple of times but no more than 5. I also dont have surround on my computer so that  was another reason for getting the 360 one besides the ach. points you get.

skylined

• Archived User
« Reply #20 on: April 05, 2006, 01:07:00 PM »

personally i prefer the console version but whatever. the only thing is if you get your self into a major glitch on the xbox and you dont have a backup save to get around it your screwed. gotta start over and when this game can take 200+ hours to complete thats almost not worth going through again to me. but with the pc version if you get in a glitchy situation you can pull up the console and work around the glitch.

daps83777

• Archived User
« Reply #21 on: April 05, 2006, 12:36:00 PM »

i would never play an fp3 game on console for one. the graphics on my computer, not a super powerful one, amd64 3200+, x800 xl, and a 1gb of ram, run this game very close to maxed out, and it blows away what the console version looks like when it is almost maxed out. you can tweak the ini file on the pc version, you can find the pc version for as low as $38 compared to $60 for the xbox 360 version. no matter what the pc version is going to have tons of mods, there are already quite a few out. i don't see how this is a debate lol. mind you i don't have a 360, only a regular xbox. people talking about pc problems, well they will be fixed, ati and nvidia will make new drivers, based on the popularity of the game, to optimize performance to make it run better even will older cards. plus if you get the pc version, most people eventually upgrade there pc's so when you still have it after a few years, it won't take much for an upgraded pc to handle it in the future. the biggest advantage is the mods in my opinion though. they are working at adding morrowind and other areas from previous games via mods. just my 2 cents, please don't flame me lol. smile.gif

JustDanMI

• Archived User
« Reply #22 on: April 05, 2006, 01:17:00 PM »

QUOTE(peanutplanters @ Apr 5 2006, 02:12 PM) View Post

M$ sucks about 20-30 a month for Live!.  

Is it really up that high!?!?!?!

I'm still paying the $50 bucks a year.  Damn, I better make sure my subscription doesn't lapse.

nachomans

• Archived User
« Reply #23 on: April 05, 2006, 01:55:00 PM »

QUOTE(peanutplanters @ Apr 5 2006, 02:12 PM)

M$ sucks about 20-30 a month for Live!. ]

mmm... i think its u$100 a month...or 200.... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sleeping.gif)

Yes...computers rocks....so now Im going to play some halo2, pgr2, ninja gaiden, forza, etc in my computer... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/blink.gif)

This post has been edited by nachomans: Apr 5 2006, 08:56 PM

Deftech

• Archived User
« Reply #24 on: April 05, 2006, 01:21:00 PM »

QUOTE(JustDanMI @ Apr 5 2006, 02:24 PM) View Post

Is it really up that high!?!?!?!

I'm still paying the $50 bucks a year.  Damn, I better make sure my subscription doesn't lapse.

umm its 50, maybe peanutwhoever isnt in the US and pays some outrageous conversion rate. Youre in MI so its 50.00

jimjom

• Archived User
« Reply #25 on: April 05, 2006, 01:28:00 PM »

hmmm..... computer chair, keyboard mouse... or big tv, sound system. yeah, I just got the collectors for my 360. smile.gif I use my computer for bf2 and eqII.

daps83777

• Archived User
« Reply #26 on: April 05, 2006, 02:40:00 PM »

i enjoy a few of the xbox games, i give you credit nachomans you did list 3 of the handful of games that were xbox exclusive. forza and ninja gaiden where pretty good. my biggest problem with xbox and microsift is that if you look at the top 200 rated games of all time on gamerankings there are very few that weren't available on other systems or pc. i use to be a sony guy because of the rpg's, they did supposedly hear today that ps3 will be $499, yuck, i thought the $399 for xbox360 with hd and what not was ridiculous. i do believe the ps3 will have an 80gb hard drive though. i am all about the nintendo revolution know, being able to play nes,snes, n64, gamecube, and revolution games, not to mention that they somehow are getting some genesis games and turbo graphics games as they announced last week. plus games are rumored to be no more than $40, and the system $199, and some people say as low as $150. i heard they have some sort of technolgy that is cheap for graphics but is amazing looking, maybe not 360 or ps3 amazing, but look at the price difference. and rumor is it is to expansive to program for these multicore 360's and ps3's and very few will ever use to full potential of those consoles because they don't want to be charging $80 for games. also to get back on topic, what is with this charging for extra stuff that they are doing with oblivion? shouldn't a game have all that stuff when it comes out? another way to rip us off i guess.

KAGE360

• Archived User
« Reply #27 on: April 05, 2006, 02:21:00 PM »

QUOTE(arcice @ Apr 5 2006, 01:51 PM) View Post

I dont have a problem playing with a wingman rumble pad.....
PC version will have update patches too..
please dont even start with the port cry... why cant you just accept xbox 360 is equivelent to mid-spec+ pc rang and will nearly be equivelent to a low spec pc in a year?I have put $700 into mine..
          Processor: AMD Athlon™ 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 3800+,  MMX,  3DNow (2 CPUs), ~2.4GHz
             Memory: 2048MB RAM
          Page File: 345MB used, 3595MB available
        Chip type: GeForce 7800 GT @ 514mhz core / 1.18ghz mem
       Display Memory: 256.0 MB
         SoundBlaster X-Fi
         160GB raid 0

plus I download most games for free so it paid off. try that with xbox360!
$500 upgrades every 2 years! considering I dont get better hdd's

its not so "black and white" as that.  for all of the power in PCs, there is only so much used for gaming, the rest is wasted.  when a game is in development for over 4 years but work begun on the console over a year ago, how is that not ported?  even though you cant do a direct comparison between Power PC cores and a AMD/Intel set-up, how many "mid-spec" rigs have triple core CPU with a directx 9+/10 GPU?  there is too much of a gray area between the performance of PCs and how code for consoles continue to evolve and improve.  while a PC will have more power, the components in a console will be put to far better use.  like it was stated before a more accurate comparison can be done once a game developed on final hardware (not ported from a PC or other console) is released and you can be sure that it will look as good, if not better, then anything that is out on the PC at that time.  

that is my main draw to consoles, while games developed on the PC are more sloppy made (optimization wise) and just requires additional hardware.  console development on the other hand, will continue to amaze tech people like me when games continue to push the hardware and exploit the power in ways unimaginable before.  so while PC hardware will continue to improve, console coding and software will keep it alive as it always has

Deftech

• Archived User
« Reply #28 on: April 05, 2006, 02:27:00 PM »

QUOTE(daps83777 @ Apr 5 2006, 03:11 PM) View Post

i enjoy a few of the xbox games, i give you credit nachomans you did list 3 of the handful of games that were xbox exclusive. forza and ninja gaiden where pretty good. my biggest problem with xbox and microsift is that if you look at the top 200 rated games of all time on gamerankings there are very few that weren't available on other systems or pc. i use to be a sony guy because of the rpg's, they did supposedly hear today that ps3 will be $499, yuck, i thought the $399 for xbox360 with hd and what not was ridiculous. i do believe the ps3 will have an 80gb hard drive though. i am all about the nintendo revolution know, being able to play nes,snes, n64, gamecube, and revolution games, not to mention that they somehow are getting some genesis games and turbo graphics games as they announced last week. plus games are rumored to be no more than $40, and the system $199, and some people say as low as $150. i heard they have some sort of technolgy that is cheap for graphics but is amazing looking, maybe not 360 or ps3 amazing, but look at the price difference. and rumor is it is to expansive to program for these multicore 360's and ps3's and very few will ever use to full potential of those consoles because they don't want to be charging $80 for games. also to get back on topic, what is with this charging for extra stuff that they are doing with oblivion? shouldn't a game have all that stuff when it comes out? another way to rip us off i guess.

Do you have a 360?

If not, how are you getting ripped off for DL's like you mention in the last sentence? if you do have one and you bought it even though you thought the price was rediculous, well you have issues.

if you dont have it, take this banter to a pc forum, this has nothing to do with oblivion. or better yet, a revolution forum, be less obvious next time.

you talked about 2 past xbox games you liked out of hundreds, said the price is rediculous on the 360, talked about the revolution quite a bit(?), talked about the ps3 and 360 and their architectures and their difficulties and it all relates to the price and games on revolution, need I go on?

some of you people should remain lurkers, sorry  rolleyes.gif

daps83777

• Archived User
« Reply #29 on: April 05, 2006, 02:39:00 PM »

actually if you knew alot about oblivion you would know that the extra downloadable content is for pc users as well. why would i buy a 360 right now almost all the games are ports with minor graphics updates, i find it hilarious reading 360 reviews and at the very end it says, if you have the xbox version of this game its not worth spending the extra money for the little extra you get considering the $60 price tag. i own an regular xbox even though i can't really stand MS. i use opensource stuff in everything, except for gaming you can't get around using windows. i don't want to be called a "fanboy" for anything because fanboys are not open to hearing about other stuff. oblivion is yet another instance of a game for a MS system that is available on something else, the pc. i got a little of topicm but my opinion about stuff versus the 360 seems relavent on an xbox site, unless all you want me to do is praise microsft i guess.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4