xboxscene.org forums

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5

Author Topic: It's coming: Bungie is getting the Halo 3 ban-hammer ready  (Read 673 times)

chocolatecheese

• Archived User
It's coming: Bungie is getting the Halo 3 ban-hammer ready
« Reply #15 on: October 22, 2007, 04:45:00 PM »

QUOTE(JimmyGoon @ Oct 22 2007, 06:23 PM) *

2. How are players getting the IP Addresses of opponents to DoS them? Are they threading their inet connections through their pc and getting ip connection info in real time or what? Are there really specialized programs for this stuff?

Anyhow...

Yes, that is pretty much what they are doing. I am pretty sure that DoSing is also illegal so this could be a big problem.

IJTF_Cinder

• Archived User
« Reply #16 on: October 22, 2007, 04:47:00 PM »

P.S. Your bandwidth has little to no bearing on a DoS attack, flooding the TCP/IP stack with too many requests is generally the most common means of attack.
ICMP floods are also a common method, and are easily perpetrated against normal users without adequate protection.

SHADOVV F0X

• Archived User
« Reply #17 on: October 22, 2007, 04:51:00 PM »

Bungie is so arrogant

BionicGeoff

• Archived User
« Reply #18 on: October 22, 2007, 04:15:00 PM »

There's more info on the Bungie forums along with some "proven" cheating situations. To lazy to find the link.  unsure.gif

peter0328

• Archived User
« Reply #19 on: October 22, 2007, 04:26:00 PM »

QUOTE(IJTF_Cinder @ Oct 22 2007, 06:47 PM) View Post

P.S. Your bandwidth has little to no bearing on a DoS attack, flooding the TCP/IP stack with too many requests is generally the most common means of attack.
ICMP floods are also a common method, and are easily perpetrated against normal users without adequate protection.

So what do I need to do to become adequately protected?

The Dude Z

• Archived User
« Reply #20 on: October 22, 2007, 05:07:00 PM »

QUOTE(JimmyGoon @ Oct 22 2007, 06:23 PM) *

1. I HIGHLY doubt that Bungie is going after glitchers. It is soo much easier for them to push out an update to fix that stuff rather than deal with the rash of angry users who are banned or not banned or who are falsely banned, etc...

2. How are players getting the IP Addresses of opponents to DoS them? Are they threading their inet connections through their pc and getting ip connection info in real time or what? Are there really specialized programs for this stuff?

3. Where are they coming up with enough bw to dos a bunch of players

4. I wish Bungie could remotely fry those peoples' xboxen...

Anyhow...

Anyone with a smoothwall router and some namebrand routers can easily look at the logs of the router to find the ip's of the people in their arena.
Once they have that ip they can simply keep sending hits or packets to that ip which will make that player/s lag like a mofo.

This is not only a pathetic way to gain an advantage but it is very very illegal aswell.
Anyone doing a DOS/Denial of service attack should not only be banned but should have their xbox 360's fried by ms the next time they log in.

Others using glitches to gain an advantage should also be banned end of story.
You know using that glitch is wrong dont try and pawn it on the gamemeaker and say well he made it so its his fault.
Your a weak pathetic joke of a human and good riddins to ya enjoy the tip of bungies boot up your queer rear.
 grr.gif

miggidy

• Archived User
« Reply #21 on: October 22, 2007, 04:35:00 PM »

QUOTE(IJTF_Cinder @ Oct 22 2007, 10:57 PM) View Post

With that said, I don't even own a 360, let alone Halo 3. I jut hate lazy developers that would rather ban people than fix their own mistakes. I'd sue.

So if you don't even own an X360, what makes you so certain that this is about glitches?

hat

• Archived User
« Reply #22 on: October 22, 2007, 05:34:00 PM »

Where did the term "Glitch" come from? It makes the problem sound so trivial.
If they put the same effort into making sure their masterpiece was ready for market as they have advertising it to the point of nausea I think Bungie would have a reason to ban people for this glitch, bug, whatever you call it.

The game is bugged.
I acknowledge that no software is perfect however to go after those using the feature in the game (Whether I/you agree with it or not) without first issuing a patch, recall or whatever is in bad taste.
If someone uses dirty tactics (DoS etc) to gain advantage then fair enough, they should be banned but it sounds like the game has other problems - I don't know, I've never played it.

This is what playtesters and beta testers are for - not to merely play the game but to break it.
Apparently the game has a flaw (Bug). Shouldn't Bungie first address the problem they created?

DMagic1

• Archived User
« Reply #23 on: October 22, 2007, 05:59:00 PM »

-chaz-
Whatever the exploit is, it's worse than just causing lag in the game. It's very similar to the Halo 2 exploit talked about above. I've been in a number of games in the past couple of weeks where the game lags out, but when we return suddenly the other team has more kills then they did when we lagged

This was a quote from the other forum where the person was talking about ppl removing the network cable just long enough to create a delay.

I just had that happen to me the other day while playing and I thought something wasnt right. Basically my whole team was affected and when we came to life the other teams score had jumped by some crazy number. They kept trying to do  it over and over in the game.

I didnt realize at the time that this was what was going on.
I wish I had remember the id of those players.

xlx Methos xlx

• Archived User
« Reply #24 on: October 22, 2007, 05:51:00 PM »

QUOTE(hat @ Oct 23 2007, 12:34 AM) View Post

Where did the term "Glitch" come from? It makes the problem sound so trivial.
If they put the same effort into making sure their masterpiece was ready for market as they have advertising it to the point of nausea I think Bungie would have a reason to ban people for this glitch, bug, whatever you call it.

The game is bugged.
I acknowledge that no software is perfect however to go after those using the feature in the game (Whether I/you agree with it or not) without first issuing a patch, recall or whatever is in bad taste.
If someone uses dirty tactics (DoS etc) to gain advantage then fair enough, they should be banned but it sounds like the game has other problems - I don't know, I've never played it.

This is what playtesters and beta testers are for - not to merely play the game but to break it.
Apparently the game has a flaw (Bug). Shouldn't Bungie first address the problem they created?

As a programmer, i have to step up to this "if it's a glitch, fix it" and the part about playtesters and such.  Just think about how many lines of code in in halo 3.  Here's the thing about programming and glitches.  I'm not very versed in the glitches in halo 3 yet, but i remember the one in halo 2, where an elite could be in the worthog and detach their self to the bitmap, run across the map, grab the flag, be touch by their buddie, and be transported all the way across the map.    when that glitch is found, then you can step through the code to find the problem.  well, you find the problem, and now you may have created another problem.  now the elites head is now located in the middle of the body and now head shots never work anymore...  This is the vicious cycle of programming and glitches.  It's not always so easy to just "fix" the glitch, because it almost always creates new problems.

The other thing to keep in mind about the playtesters is how many of them do they have testing the game?  probably no more than 200 full time people.  how many people are playing on halo 3?  i know i've seen over 1 mill on at one time.  that's alot more people to say "hey, i wonder if i do this what would happen".

1nsan3

• Archived User
« Reply #25 on: October 22, 2007, 06:31:00 PM »

what and this is news??? halo is well known for cheating! and cheaters. Its not  our fault u have to cheat to make yourself better. If ya suck then just admit it!! good I hope they get banned off live blak list the credit card, there name ( real name ) they should never be allowed on xbox live again.

But hey keep em in halo and out of our hair!!

good for u Bungie!! cheaters FUC* YOU!!! damn kids.

and about the glitches, if there found then why use them, its still cheating, still shows you have to use that glitch to win instead of playing the real way. ive seen hundreds of glitches, and i dont use them.

i cant wait untill they stop making the halo series. or come out with a better game. the game is all whinners, and everyone keeps whining about the game..

it has problems it has problimatic people in it. if ya dont like it DONT FRIKEN PLAY IT!!!

flashfreak

• Archived User
« Reply #26 on: October 22, 2007, 06:52:00 PM »

QUOTE(peter0328 @ Oct 23 2007, 09:39 AM) *

Is having high bandwith good or bad or what?

A high level of bandwidth is a good thing, means you can transfer a lot of data at a time.

Im from australia and a majority of the time I play against aussies. I played it heaps in the first week but not so much now. I havnt seen a single glitch in the game, or any cheaters. Occasionly i'll get the black screen and scoreboard, like the loading screen, but usually thats due to legitimate lag or a player leaving. Kinda dodgy how its that sensitive, but ah well.

From what I know, i havnt been part of a DoS attack, but the people doing it should be banned. Its obvious they're cheating, they're going beyond the game to screw other people over, and its people like that who really shouldnt be allowed on the service. I hope they get what they deserve.

But on this note, i'd just like to say i've met heaps of great ppl on live (most aussies you play against are good, unless they less than 16 y/o) and its a great game with heaps of fun. I played with 3 of my mates on my big screen, they all had their live profiles on a memory card, and my other mate was out in the other room. We were in a party with another few friends who live closeby and some other guys from other states. We had a great time.

Looking forward to a big 16 player lan im organising for the end of november. Cant wait!

47_M450N_47

• Archived User
« Reply #27 on: October 22, 2007, 07:18:00 PM »

I'm glad they ban "glitchers".  People who complain about using glitches and then getting banned are just dumb.  Using any type of exploit, whether in game or on the dashboard, is against the ToS of Live, and thus is grounds to be banned.

I really enjoyed playing Halo 3 online up until I couldn't find a game where they weren't doing the standby thing.  I don't think I've been DoS attacked yet, but I wouldn't put it past some of those people.  I don't understand how someone can take a game so seriously that they feel they have to use any means necessary to win.  It's a freaking game people.  Ranked matches and social matches alike both suffer from standbying, it's ridiculous.

Master Reefed

• Archived User
« Reply #28 on: October 22, 2007, 07:28:00 PM »

lmao @ the guy on the first page of this post who "will sue"... read the ToS man!

They now have in-game video replays to prove things, like standby'ing. And that is perma-bannable!

peter0328

• Archived User
« Reply #29 on: October 22, 2007, 07:00:00 PM »

QUOTE(flashfreak @ Oct 22 2007, 08:52 PM) View Post

A high level of bandwidth is a good thing, means you can transfer a lot of data at a time.

Im from australia and a majority of the time I play against aussies. I played it heaps in the first week but not so much now. I havnt seen a single glitch in the game, or any cheaters. Occasionly i'll get the black screen and scoreboard, like the loading screen, but usually thats due to legitimate lag or a player leaving. Kinda dodgy how its that sensitive, but ah well.

From what I know, i havnt been part of a DoS attack, but the people doing it should be banned. Its obvious they're cheating, they're going beyond the game to screw other people over, and its people like that who really shouldnt be allowed on the service. I hope they get what they deserve.

But on this note, i'd just like to say i've met heaps of great ppl on live (most aussies you play against are good, unless they less than 16 y/o) and its a great game with heaps of fun. I played with 3 of my mates on my big screen, they all had their live profiles on a memory card, and my other mate was out in the other room. We were in a party with another few friends who live closeby and some other guys from other states. We had a great time.

Looking forward to a big 16 player lan im organising for the end of november. Cant wait!

Alright, thanks.  So 20mbps down and 1mbps up is good for Live right?
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5