xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Win32 Applications Through Wine?  (Read 165 times)

Wrincle

• Archived User
Win32 Applications Through Wine?
« on: September 26, 2004, 04:47:00 PM »

Has anyone had any experience with WINE using your Xbox? I'm thinking of tinkering with it on Xebian and seeing if I can get some Windows games working on it(Starcraft and Diablo 2 are some..). I've seen screenshots of WINE playing Counter-Strike on Linux! (client..)

"Wine is an Open Source implementation of the Windows API on top of X and Unix.

Think of Wine as a Windows compatibility layer. Wine does not require MS Windows, as it is a completely alternative implementation consisting of 100% MS-free code, but it can optionally use native system DLLs if they are available. Wine provides both a development toolkit (Winelib) for porting Windows sources to Unix and a program loader, allowing many unmodified Windows binaries to run on x86-based Unixes, including Linux, FreeBSD, and Solaris."

Wine HQ

This post has been edited by Wrincle on Sep 26 2004, 11:50 PM

FoxMods

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2004, 12:54:00 PM »

Very good idea, much quicker than any other solution posed before

guitardork864

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2004, 06:55:00 PM »

I can confirm that I used Cedega (which is a version of wine tailored for gaming www.transgaming.com) that was downloaded from CVS last night to play Half-Life at 640x480 software mode with 15-30fps constant.  The only problem is getting it to work with JUST the controller, keyboard and mouse work fine, but I would like to use just the controller.  BTW I used Half-Life version 1110, not Steam.

1.) Download Cedega CVs and compile it and properly configure it (look elsewhere.
2.) open a Konsole (or bash I think they are the same thing) and type "wine /yourcddirectory/setup.exe and install it.
3.) Download the 1110 patch and install it using "wine /directorywherehl1110.exeis/hl1110.exe"
4.) then just type "wine /Half-lifedirectory/hl.exe

there is a problem with the opening movies, however press enter on your keyboard a few times and the menus will apear and it SHOUDl work fairly well.