xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Ebook Reader For The Gba  (Read 209 times)

XDelusion

• Archived User
Ebook Reader For The Gba
« on: January 31, 2004, 03:07:00 PM »

We were discussing the ablility to read PDF files on your XBOX in the Homebrew section. Well seing as many of you never leave this section of the forums for some of the XBOX's other highlights, I figured I'd extend the conversation onto your shores a bit.

What I was getting on about in the conversation was that while aside of Linux, and perhaps Amiga OS and WinCE, we do not have any way of loading up PDF files on our XBOX. UAEX does not have JIT (yet) so loadinga PDF could take forever, and Linux is just plain BLOATED, so why bother? WinCE can't be used atm.

So as an alternative I have been using a program called:

GBA EBook

Available from:

http://members.optushome.com.au/dancotter/

Amaze your friends, seduce older women (or younger if your over the hill), win the confidence and trust of others, and more, with this amazing FREE tool from our freind Dan Cotter (not Potter).

With this tool you simply downlod the files from his page, copy the text from any text file, PDF, or HTML file to Microsloth Wordpad, arrance the paragraphs to your liking, and save the file as a Text File called. text.txt. You then simply run the included Batch script, and that's that, you have now created a GBA EBook which works perfectly on the XBOX emu!

With this program, you can change the background and font color. Save your spot, scroll one line at a time, or a page at a time, ect. There are many more options listed on Dan's page.

This is a great util for those who read a lot of EBooks, but tire of sitting in front of the computer. The fonts are HUGE so you NEVER have to squint.

If any of you are interested in this, and would like to win the trust of others and seduce many women, then let me know, I was considering setting up a page devoted to GBA EBooks. Any contributions would be great!

I've got MANY MANY EBooks, but have only converted a few for my GBA (I'm a slow reader), but in the mean time here are a couple to check out, that can give you a basic idea of how the program works. They are Christian Apocrypha so they are not for everybody, but like I said if there is interest I can devote a site to this, and begin posting a variety of other books such as Sci-Fi, Horror, Fantasy, Kids, Comedy, what ever! Something for everyone!

The Gospel Of Thomas:

(Early Christian Mystic document most likely preceding the gospel of Mathew in date)

http://www.freeartistweb.com/StarWarsLegacy/xbox/thomas.zip

The Gospel of the Holy Twelve

(Another document that "may" be one of the sources that the book of Mathew was built from)

http://www.freeartistweb.com/StarWarsLegac...ox/gospel12.zip

EDIT:

And here is a little from the Master of Horror...

Lovecraft's In The Vault

http://www.freeartistweb.com/StarWarsLegacy/xbox/vault.zip

This post has been edited by XDelusion: Jan 31 2004, 11:27 PM

XDelusion

• Archived User
Ebook Reader For The Gba
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2004, 08:51:00 PM »

Hmmm no one cares. Don't you guys read!?!

Anyhow I put up a page regardless, will be adding more as time goes on.

Such books do have copyrights, please do not link them here.

This post has been edited by Mage: Feb 12 2004, 05:53 PM

Morien

• Archived User
Ebook Reader For The Gba
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2004, 02:36:00 AM »

QUOTE (XDelusion @ Feb 1 2004, 06:44 AM)
Hmmm no one cares. Don't you guys read!?!

There there...
Don't worry, you're knowledge won't go in vain, if I ever downloaded a PDF comic, (which may be soon) I'll utilise your info.

Thanks
Morien

Bender_Unit_1

• Archived User
Ebook Reader For The Gba
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2004, 06:26:00 AM »

That's a really neat discovery, and people are reading it. The thing is, people just don't want to use an xbox to read. It's a console, meaning a gaming system. They want to play games with it, have some mindless entertainment. It would be a lot cheaper to buy a bunch of used books than an xbox system...
I understand the novelty of it, but just nobody will utilize it except a select few.

-Bender

XDelusion

• Archived User
Ebook Reader For The Gba
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2004, 07:16:00 AM »

I got it! We'll pu tthe forums in EBook format then people will read them!

Morien: Unfortunatly this is not quite as advanced as PDF as there are no pitcures. :/

Oh well, I'm getting a lot of use out of this at least, I've been getting burned out on video games so now I sit up at night reading, and actually I prefer reading on a 32" over trying to hold a small book in the light.

chilin_dude

• Archived User
Ebook Reader For The Gba
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2004, 07:24:00 AM »

Great find XDelusion!!!!!!
With this tool you simply downlod the files from his page, copy the text from any text file, PDF, or HTML file to Microsloth Wordpad, arrance the paragraphs to your liking, and save the file as a Text File called

Hmm... how do you mean arrange the paragraphs to your liking... how do we know what will look good on the TV?

XDelusion if i get this working can i up some books?

Edit: Also would it be possible to post just a little bit of text on what the book is on? Like you get on the back of books because that 'Lovecraft's In The Vault' sounds very good after reading a paragraph about it!

This post has been edited by chilin_dude: Feb 1 2004, 03:28 PM

XDelusion

• Archived User
Ebook Reader For The Gba
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2004, 09:46:00 AM »

What you do is this:

1. Download and extract the EBook reader from Dan's page.

2. Copy the Text from what ever source you are using, then paste it into Microsloth Word (the small one that comes with Winblows). This way the paragraphs and sentence structure does not loose its form (much).

3. Now edit the EBook to your liking, by adding --------------'s between the intro and the start of the book, spaces between paragraphs, ect.

4. Then when you are done, save the EBook over top the text.txt file inside the GBA EBook directory, but make sure you save in MSDOS TXT format!

5. Run the batch file, rename the output file, and you are done!

If you want to upload some books, that would be great! Just PM me, and we'll arrange something so you can upload to the site.

As for a description for each book, I was planning on that, just have not gotten around to it yet. I was thinking of setting up the page kinda like xbins.org, where you can click on one link to download, and another to read the NFO file on the book.

XDelusion

• Archived User
Ebook Reader For The Gba
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2004, 12:15:00 PM »

I got a few more ebooks up since I began the site incase some of you missed them, I am stuck back on the Mac which can't keep it's file types correct so It will be a while till there is an update, unjoy what is there in the mean time, and let me know what you think of the program...

...as well as the author. :)

chilin_dude

• Archived User
Ebook Reader For The Gba
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2004, 12:23:00 PM »

Nice one Man !!!!!!!!!!
Just seen all the new ebooks!!!!!!
You rock!
Keep it up!
edit: hmm the in the vault link actually download wizard of oz now!

This post has been edited by chilin_dude: Feb 2 2004, 08:24 PM

fragmaster170

• Archived User
Ebook Reader For The Gba
« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2004, 01:01:00 PM »

if it was by :luv: Dan Potter :luv: , I would have downloaded it then bought a DC NAVI.

XDelusion

• Archived User
Ebook Reader For The Gba
« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2004, 01:57:00 PM »

Figures I'd overlook one error. Well I am at the library right now and am locked out from MS-DOS so I can not get FTP acess to fix the page for a while. Unless my Mac (by some miracle) stops confusing HTML files for Media files.

Apple's artistic vision really lacks...

...reason.

Anyhow in the mean time in the vault can be grabbed if you change the file from oz1.zip to vault.zip when you click on it.

Will fix later, thankx for the heads up.

asher

• Archived User
Ebook Reader For The Gba
« Reply #11 on: February 05, 2004, 12:25:00 PM »

great post xdelusion...
not everything is gaming...theres a lot of things to read..
like all the harry potter series...its one of the best things on my life.

XDelusion

• Archived User
Ebook Reader For The Gba
« Reply #12 on: February 05, 2004, 10:57:00 PM »

I'd love to add those books to the collection, but can't find them on the web anywhoere, sure wich I could... hint hint. :)

XDelusion

• Archived User
Ebook Reader For The Gba
« Reply #13 on: February 09, 2004, 03:07:00 AM »

All links should be good now.

I've added a TON of more stuff, infact the next time I make a dump, I'll have to change servers, so there will be a new adress for this soon.

In the mean time check it out, I've added more Vampire Chronicles, as well as some of Rice's older Erotic novels that Lick Me Bear is so fond of. I've dump the Dune Series, some of the Necroscopes, Chronicles Of Narnia, William S Burroughs, ect.

Also I ran across some potter, so I'll start posting a few of those on there next.

Personally I don't see why everyone is all gung-ho about Potter. Now if he were thrust into the world of Necroscope or of Lovecraft, THAT would be interesting!!! :o)

Anyhow, the collection is growing, if you have any more requests, feel free to ask, I have a pretty good connection for EBooks now.

chilin_dude

• Archived User
Ebook Reader For The Gba
« Reply #14 on: February 09, 2004, 06:48:00 AM »

dean koontz would be  nice