xboxscene.org forums

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Zephyr Box, Can't Get Consistent Nand Reads  (Read 127 times)

tk_saturn

• Archived User
Zephyr Box, Can't Get Consistent Nand Reads
« on: January 23, 2011, 08:25:00 PM »

QUOTE(Madhatta @ Jan 24 2011, 03:04 AM) View Post

I am wondering if I may have a loose solder connection somewhere or what.

Normally a bad ground, shitty soldering, poor connections, or the cable's too long.
I am doing the read with JTAG tool. Would another tool help?

JTAG Tool, doesn't read Nands it uses NandPro to read them. Use NandPro directly, the less you have running while dumping the Nand the better. Otherwise try "NAND Flasher 360 for Windows v1.1.0" which is pretty good, directly flashes the Nand and is written by Trancy who know's his stuff.

I have two bad blocks reported as well if this makes a difference.
In some cases, but not yours. You would either get a match or you wouldn't.

Madhatta

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2011, 09:05:00 PM »

QUOTE(tk_saturn @ Jan 24 2011, 04:25 AM) View Post

Normally a bad ground, shitty soldering, poor connections, or the cable's too long.
JTAG Tool, doesn't read Nands it uses NandPro to read them. Use NandPro directly, the less you have running while dumping the Nand the better. Otherwise try "NAND Flasher 360 for Windows v1.1.0" which is pretty good, directly flashes the Nand and is written by Trancy who know's his stuff.

In some cases, but not yours. You would either get a match or you wouldn't.

OK I think I am just going to take the cable off and try to resolder it for the flasher. I did take kind of a risky move and wrote xell and it goes to e79 upon boot up. I was luckily able to write my original dump back to the nand and it boots again.

I used boxxdr's method for the JTAG except I used the DB1F1 point up top. Any idea where I might have gone wrong and what I can start looking at first?

First box was a xenon and it went a lot smoother but just wanted to try the aud_clamp stuff next. Maybe that was the wrong move for me haha.

tk_saturn

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2011, 09:54:00 PM »

That all depends on where the 'errors' are in your dumps. Normally it's very bad thing to just flash Xellous, however when you flash Xellous you are only flashing 80 blocks which is around 1.3MB out that 16MB (the full 16MB Nand has 1024 blocks). That's why you also do several dumps of the first 2MB area, which you can either flash back that 2MB dump to remove Xellous or use with a 16MB flashdmp created by Xellous to have a full 16MB Nand.

If you only did 16MB dumps, those errors in those dumps could well be beyond the first 80 blocks so you could get a good 2MB dump from them. If you flashed backed a bad 16MB, you may get away with. You may not...

Madhatta

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2011, 08:23:00 AM »

QUOTE(tk_saturn @ Jan 24 2011, 05:54 AM) View Post

That all depends on where the 'errors' are in your dumps. Normally it's very bad thing to just flash Xellous, however when you flash Xellous you are only flashing 80 blocks which is around 1.3MB out that 16MB (the full 16MB Nand has 1024 blocks). That's why you also do several dumps of the first 2MB area, which you can either flash back that 2MB dump to remove Xellous or use with a 16MB flashdmp created by Xellous to have a full 16MB Nand.

If you only did 16MB dumps, those errors in those dumps could well be beyond the first 80 blocks so you could get a good 2MB dump from them. If you flashed backed a bad 16MB, you may get away with. You may not...

I will have to check again tonight. The reason I flashed it is someone was telling me that as long as the bad blocks were reporting in the same area for two or more dumps (which they do) that it wouldn't matter if compare showed a match or not. He said that there will always be mismatches when there are bad blocks. Also said that the flasher will either work or it won't, no in between. So anyway I flashed Xell and it turns out I had an issue with the JTAG portion. I tried to flash the orig NAND image back and it works again so I guess I got lucky. I guess I need to get out my multimeter and start looking around although I am not sure what values I should be seeing with the transistors and resistors and what not. I don't seem to have any shorts so I guess I will need to check all my solder points. After that is done I guess I will be taking the flasher off and trying it once more.

Block 100 and 12A are the ones showing as unreadable either Error: 250 or 258 depending on the read. Is it possible that the JTAG is alright but that Xell was flashed improperly due to bad connections on the flasher?

I don't think the cable is too long as I used it on my last one which went off without a hitch and the cable was purchased with the flasher.

Thanks for the help and any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

tk_saturn

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2011, 08:41:00 AM »

Even with bad blocks, you still normally get matching dumps. Normally either the NANDS match or they don't, not 2 different matching sets.

Did you power on the console between those different sets of matching dumps?

Provided the differences between the dumps are within the bad blocks, then you are OK as you aren't using those bad blocks. You need to open the Nands in XNandHealer and see what it says you with regards ECC error blocks and Bad Blocks. Provided it says you have Bad Blocks and not ECC errors, you are normally OK.

Madhatta

• Archived User
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2011, 08:44:00 AM »

QUOTE(tk_saturn @ Jan 24 2011, 04:41 PM) View Post

Even with bad blocks, you still normally get matching dumps.

Provided the differences between the dumps are within the bad blocks, then you are OK as you aren't using those bad blocks. You need to open the Nands in XNandHealer and see what it says you with regards ECC error blocks and Bad Blocks. Provided it says you have Bad Blocks and not ECC errors, you are normally OK.

Ok I will download that program when I get home.

Any advice on the not booting into Xell? You think it might be a problem with the JTAG wiring or possibly a bad flash of Xell?

tk_saturn

• Archived User
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2011, 08:48:00 AM »

E79 is caused by bad wiring. Zephyr's can also suffer random E79's and need to be wired up using transistors/ AUD_CLAMP which is what you've done.

If you are using AUD_CLAMP, you need to use a Xellous which is configured to use AUD_CLAMP. There's one in Loooky's guide http://www.mediafire...z2e5tsqbjlqsk4w

Madhatta

• Archived User
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2011, 09:02:00 AM »

QUOTE(tk_saturn @ Jan 24 2011, 04:48 PM) View Post

E79 is caused by bad wiring. Zephyr's can also suffer random E79's and need to be wired up using transistors/ AUD_CLAMP which is what you've done.

If you are using AUD_CLAMP, you need to use a Xellous which is configured to use AUD_CLAMP. There's one in Loooky's guide http://www.mediafire...z2e5tsqbjlqsk4w

Oh well crap I didn't know xell didn't work with aud_clamp. That could be my problem then huh?

If the box is booting into the normal dash then I am back at a good starting point for trying to get the read, correct? If so I will just focus on taking the flasher off and will try to re-solder it.

tk_saturn

• Archived User
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2011, 09:17:00 AM »

QUOTE(Madhatta @ Jan 24 2011, 04:02 PM) View Post

Oh well crap I didn't know xell didn't work with aud_clamp. That could be my problem then huh?

It works, you just have to match the configuration of the SMC to your wiring. Normal Xell images will expect  the wiring to be ARGON_DATA + DB1F1. If you are using AUD_CLAMP, then that will cause your E79 as it won't be able to inject the JTAG hack.

The Xellous from Loooky's guide has already been configured to use AUD_CLAMP + DB1F1, and will make it easier for you. It saves you from having to extract the SMC from Xell and reconfigure it.

Likewise, you will need to configure freeBoot's SMC so it matches your wiring. Those NandPro errors are outside of where Xell is located, so flashing Xell is fine. But you need to sort them out before flashing freeBoot as you'll need to remap those bad blocks.

Madhatta

• Archived User
« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2011, 09:22:00 AM »

QUOTE(tk_saturn @ Jan 24 2011, 05:17 PM) View Post

It works, you just have to match the configuration of the SMC to your wiring. Normal Xell images will expect  the wiring to be ARGON_DATA + DB1F1. If you are using AUD_CLAMP, then that will cause your E79 as it won't be able to inject the JTAG hack.

The Xellous from Loooky's guide has already been configured to use AUD_CLAMP + DB1F1, and will make it easier for you. It saves you from having to extract the SMC from Xell and reconfigure it.

Likewise, you will need to configure freeBoot's SMC so it matches your wiring.

Ok well that's somewhat comforting to know my only problem may be the flasher and the reads I am getting then. Good to know smile.gif

So with the inconsistent reads you are saying it's almost got to be the wiring either the ground or something else then?

Once I do get two consistent reads then I will need to remap the bad blocks? Any good guides on that? I can't access Loooky's guide from here but will check it out later to see if it has that information as well.

Thanks so much. Made my day to know I may still have a chance of getting this box done.

tk_saturn

• Archived User
« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2011, 09:40:00 AM »

If you have a bad block, it is possible that every time you dump the Nand you'll get a different dump. I had a few consoles with bad blocks, and only one of them had that problem. However, you need to determine if your differences are from bad dumps or from the bad blocks. XNandHealer should give you an idea of that.

You'll also be better off doing a few dumps through Xellous too, as that elmimates all your wiring etc and then you'll know it's from the bad blocks.

Madhatta

• Archived User
« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2011, 09:44:00 AM »

QUOTE(tk_saturn @ Jan 24 2011, 05:40 PM) View Post

If you have a bad block, it is possible that every time you dump the Nand you'll get a different dump. I had a few consoles with bad blocks, and only one of them had that problem. However, you need to determine if your differences are from bad dumps or from the bad blocks. XNandHealer should give you an idea of that.

You'll also be better off doing a few dumps through Xellous too, as that elmimates all your wiring etc and then you'll know it's from the bad blocks.

Oh that's right, I need to get XNandHealer tonight. Forgot.

You can do dumps through Xellous? I have never used it so wasn't really sure what it did differently than Xell. So I am assuming it's safe to flash xellous to the NAND then even without knowing what's going on with my reads?

Could I hit you up on some chat this evening if you're available? You've been a ton of help.

tk_saturn

• Archived User
« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2011, 01:03:00 PM »

Don't have MSN etc.

You've already previously flashed Xell, so flashing Xellous won't do any harm. It's also  far less buggy than Xell.

Madhatta

• Archived User
« Reply #13 on: January 24, 2011, 01:11:00 PM »

So I am trying to figure out, when I flashed Xell that appends to the front of NAND? I used the write bin option in JTAG tool and just selected one of my dumps and when I went to boot it back up it worked so what I am wondering is, am I back at a stock NAND image with no xell written to it or are both still on there, the non smc patched xell and my stock NAND image? Also can I assume that because it booted back up that I got a decent read? It had problems writing to the two bad blocks (the ones it can't read from) but I don't know if that causes any issues.

I would like to just be back at square one then I was going to go through that tutorial.

Madhatta

• Archived User
« Reply #14 on: January 24, 2011, 03:09:00 PM »

QUOTE(tk_saturn @ Jan 24 2011, 09:37 PM) View Post

That's the problem with that with tool. It doesn't flash itself, it uses Nandpro. I'm guessing it hides Nandpro when it does, so you can't be sure what it's done.

I'd assume it's flashed one of your 16Mb images back to the cosnole, so i'd go straight ahead and Flash Xellous-Audclamp.

Oh yeah, sorry I know you had said that before. What I wrote back was one of the reads it did with nandpro inside of jtag tool without xell flashed so Ia m hoping it just wronte it back to the way it was stock. I will install Xellous tonight or tomorrow and let you know how it goes.

Do you think I should rewire the ground to the chassis or something or just go with it the way it is now for the flasher?
Pages: [1] 2