xboxscene.org forums

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]

Author Topic: Sound Advice: HD DVD leaves Blu-ray in the dust  (Read 801 times)

shenmuemaster

• Archived User
Sound Advice: HD DVD leaves Blu-ray in the dust
« Reply #60 on: November 13, 2007, 06:47:00 PM »

watever, im stayin wary of sony....betamax umd anyone?

HotKnife420

• Archived User
« Reply #61 on: November 13, 2007, 08:14:00 PM »

QUOTE(erexx @ Nov 13 2007, 11:30 AM) View Post

BRD is the superior format simply because of its storage size.
BRD: 25GB / 50GB
HDDVD: 15GB / 30GB

I remember a thread here not too long ago about how HD-DVD was able to exceed that, and the 50GB discs don't actually exist, yet (or at least didn't; update me).

88 Ecko Unltd 88

• Archived User
« Reply #62 on: November 13, 2007, 08:59:00 PM »

i agree with hotknife420 there was an article about toshiba releasing a hd-dvd triple layer disc that surpassed 50gb

IPB Image

erexx

• Archived User
« Reply #63 on: November 13, 2007, 10:14:00 PM »

Those may seem like good points the reality is that for an MPEG2 movie
and quite possibly games 50GB is more than enough.

I am not trying to say anyone format is "better" than the other.
I think I said they are both EQUAL to begin with.
Do triple layer HD-DVD's exist yet?
Should I bring up Hitachi's 4 layer 100GB Blu-Ray disk?
Pointless.

More over they are both simply fine for what they do.

HD-DVD players are cheap and I will probably buy one.
In the mean time my PS3 plays Blu-Ray movies beautifully, makes for a fine DVD upscaler
and has a few choice PS3 games that I love.

I remember beta-max...
MD, UMD and now its BRD
Another dead format from Sony?... maybe.

BRD may die on cost alone, but to argue it’s because it lacks quality is ridiculous.

Argue that is dies because of economics and I would be more convinced.

mc_365

• Archived User
« Reply #64 on: November 13, 2007, 10:28:00 PM »

At this point there realy is no use for 50GB disc.
Any content provider would want to find a way to sell that additional content to you seperately.

Also at current times the yeilds on BD dual layer discs are not that great, thus the cost increases substantialy.

Add the royalties that Sony gets and the market wont bear the price of the disc.

The expensive to manufacture disc becomes more exspensive when it is dual layer.

Fortunately for BluRay owners Sony owns a few movie studios, and don't charge themselves royalties on BD.

http://www.dvdfile.c...o...iew&id=6310

Barnolde

• Archived User
« Reply #65 on: November 14, 2007, 01:45:00 AM »

That was the most honest article I've ever read in my life.

Seriously.

Really, I mean it.

"What do you say to the fact that Blu-ray holds more space and has more companies backing it?" - Actual numbers, who needs those, HD DVD is just fine.  laugh.gif

HD DVDesperation is hilarious. I bet this guy participates in buy days for HD DVD to try and beat Blu-ray, just once.

cryptonic

• Archived User
« Reply #66 on: February 04, 2020, 12:41:00 PM »

Sure this might happen..... Have a good time salivating over this fud news... I'll be happy with the FACT that blueray is trouncing hddvd RIGHT NOW..... Sony backs them for f sake... The majority of the movies in your dvd collection are backed by who.... Sony..... Sure I would like paramount back but I'm not going to buy a hddvd player to play paramount movies.. And did anyone come to the conclusion that the price of blueray players will drop to compete against hddvd... You're living in a dream world if you think that blueray player manufacturers are going to let their revenue fall out the window because they didn't want to compete..... I'm getting really sick of fud news on xboxscene lately.... you would be lucky to find any piece of news on this site these days that wasn't just speculation or rumour. The xboxscene I once knew is long dead.

mc_365

• Archived User
« Reply #67 on: November 14, 2007, 11:09:00 PM »

QUOTE(cryptonic @ Nov 14 2007, 08:41 PM) View Post

Sure this might happen..... Have a good time salivating over this fud news... I'll be happy with the FACT that blueray is trouncing hddvd RIGHT NOW..... Sony backs them for f sake... The majority of the movies in your dvd collection are backed by who.... Sony..... Sure I would like paramount back but I'm not going to buy a hddvd player to play paramount movies.. And did anyone come to the conclusion that the price of blueray players will drop to compete against hddvd... You're living in a dream world if you think that blueray player manufacturers are going to let their revenue fall out the window because they didn't want to compete..... I'm getting really sick of fud news on xboxscene lately.... you would be lucky to find any piece of news on this site these days that wasn't just speculation or rumour. The xboxscene I once knew is long dead.

Do you realy think there is room to lower prices on BluRay Disc Players?

Don't you think we would have seen the biggest BluRay manufacturer do something when the competition went to $99?

Sony put the BluRay player in the playstation and Sony owns half of the studios, so a large precentage of content will be BD exclusive.
PS3 Expected to sell tens of millions, projected BD sales to PS3 owners + projected Bluray player sales driven by exclusive content = BluRay wins.

Toshiba puts out a better thought out product, with final specs.
Their product is easier and cheaper to manufacture, both hardware and media.
The capacity is at least double the current market king DVD and easily can be increased to a size good enough for it's intended purpose.
And all of the above is being done at close to half the price of the competitors product.

So manufacturers are playing it safe by going with Sony, even if they have to pay royalties through the nose, and the production cost are high, and their yeilds are low.
The fact is the Market is so small and production runs of these units are so small that it is not a major risk for anyone but Sony and Toshiba.

But the PS3 has been slow getting out the gate, do to late entry, high cost, little content for core audience, and intial BD movies looked like crap do to initial codec choice.

So Bluray is neck and neck with HD-DVD.

Bluray which is inheirently more expensive than HD-DVD remains expensive at retail, relative to its competitors.

1) Uneducated Consumer (99% of Population) go to big box retail store and see demo units, Picture looks good on both, both units are hooked up to surround sound, in the mind of the uneducated consumer both are the same thing.
Consumer chooses the most competitively priced product.

2) Uneducated consumer is told that movies are exclusive to on type of player in some cases , consumer gets angry dosen't by either product.

3) Small precentage of consumers by both formats or multi format player.

Manufactures notice a large portion of market share is going to HD-DVD, manufactures being in business to make money descide that there is an oppertunity to capitalize on this still developing market and begin producing more HD-DVD players, which are cheaper to produce.
The increased competition and manufacturing enhancements, drive HD-DVD player prices down even further.

BD cost fall, but not as rapidly or as significantly as HD-DVD, and Sony still charges high royalty fees, as they try to recoupe many consecutive quarters worth of losses on PS3, incentives paid to retailers, marketing cost, ect.

Consumer adoption of HD-DVD gets more attention from studios whom are in business to make money, they begin releasing more content in HD-DVD.

Sony's movie studios begin to realize there is a sizable market that owns one HD disc player and it is not BD compatable, being that Sony Studios is in business to make money they descide to release movies in both BD and HD-DVD.

Sony begins to make Multi format players.

And thats how it will end.

Barnolde

• Archived User
« Reply #68 on: November 15, 2007, 01:32:00 AM »

QUOTE(mc_365 @ Nov 15 2007, 01:45 AM) View Post

Blah blah blah

BR has outsold HD DVD at least 60:40 every single week. Even Transformers vs an empty BR week couldn't give HD DVD the lead. Now it's back to BR trouncing HD DVD, again.

The desperation, bias, FUD and overall fanboy ignorance spinning is sickening. Everyone hates Sony and will make up any shit they can to show that, its disgusting.

I mean the HD DVD camp keeps saying wait for this, wait for that, Transformers is coming, cheaper models are coming, don't count the PS3 (makes no sense), standalone sales are better than BR standalone.

I mean goddamn, you people are pathetic. BR sells better, it has more companies backing it, it's technically superior, just give it a rest and maybe BR will be nice enough lube up before it dives into your living room.

Chancer

• Archived User
« Reply #69 on: November 15, 2007, 03:21:00 AM »

Don't you think we would have seen the biggest BluRay manufacturer do something when the competition went to $99?

That was a clearance of discontinued Toshiba players.
Funai are already in pre production of a cheap Blu-Ray player.

Toshiba puts out a better thought out product, with final specs.

Says who? Don't forget Blu-Ray is not just backed by Sony but also by major manufacturers such as Panasonic.
Early Toshiba products were excellent. Newer ones are are now mostly Toshiba in badge name only (Vestel have a huge stranglehold in manufacturing stuff for Toshiba as well as many others and the quality is marginal , to say the least)(Above is based on practical experience and the fact we are Toshiba Authourised repair agents)

Uneducated Consumer (99% of Population) go to big box retail store and see demo units, Picture looks good on both, both units are hooked up to surround sound, in the mind of the uneducated consumer both are the same thing.

Uneducated customers are still in the early stages of using DVD and will not switch to either format quickly. people don't buy something, even at a bargain price, if they don't know what it is or does and if they have no use for it. People will not want to pay the higher prices on either yet for the movies.

88 Ecko Unltd 88

• Archived User
« Reply #70 on: November 15, 2007, 10:11:00 AM »

i agree with Chancer... ppl aren't  gonna switch format instantly its gonna take time ... mainly because y would you buy a hd-dvd or a blu-ray player if you don't have a hi-def television there is no point, might as well stick with dvd player.

mc_365

• Archived User
« Reply #71 on: November 16, 2007, 09:15:00 PM »

I don't get why people call some fan boys then go on to say Bluray is superior.

The person claming that a format is superior Just becuase it has larger capacity sounds more like the fanboy to me.

Stick with Sony if you like but the fact is Sony will in the future make a dual format player, becuase Bluray is not going to win anything.

Both formats will exist until something replaces them both, like downloads or solid state.

As far as my comment about Toshiba have the better thought out product.

"To verify that these new players are in fact only Profile 1, I downloaded the User Manuals for both players, and on page 5 of both manuals resides the following text:

"This player supports BD-ROM Profile 1 only. Playback of later versions of BDs other than BD-ROM is not guaranteed. Since the Blu-ray Disc specifications are new and evolving, some discs may not play depending on the disc type and the version..."

Profile 1 only and ‘some discs may not play’, that’s an absolute gem. I have provided the download links for both manuals from Sony for any who care to view the source."

http://www.docs.sony...ase/BDPS500.pdf
http://www.docs.sony...e/BDPS200ES.pdf

Read full article at http://www.audioholi...cation-deadline

Chancer

• Archived User
« Reply #72 on: November 17, 2007, 02:53:00 AM »

PS3 is upgradeable via a software update.
 The Samsung TSR and Panasonic TR have said they will make a flash upgrade via the dealer service tool. (I speak to both once a fortnight)
 Sony will follow suit as they always have to. If they are already going to upgrade the PS3 via software they will bring out upgrades via dealers for S.A players.
The discs will still play on initial players but not the extra features.
The information  including service and diagnostic software , dealers have goes far beyond what is available in the Owners guide and manual.
DVD players have been no different in the past and indeed we have had to perform hardware upgrades to some that refused to play certain DVD films (Think back to The Matrix)
At the end of the day incompatibility of different standards can affect any player, be it Toshiba or Sony. Once it becomes apparent dealer upgrades quickly start arriving.
I still say neither is going to overturn DVD any time soon. Film availability and film price will have a big role to play.
 Which would you buy (imaginary example)
 XBox 560 console at $399 with a catalogue of 300 games at $10 each?
PS5 console at $199 with a catalogue of 20 games at $35 each?
This is intended just to show how price of software/films can soon alter the  perception that initial purchase price  of the hardware will be the biggest factor.
This so called war has years in it yet and truth is nobody knows who if any will win.
The consumer will not lose because at the moment your average person in the street will keep his money in his pocket unless he forced to change the technology he uses.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]