xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Question About Mce Usage  (Read 79 times)

dhrandy1

• Archived User
Question About Mce Usage
« on: January 24, 2007, 04:18:00 PM »

...From Window XP Media Center Edition PC:

Will I have to buy a Media Center Extender Kit to stream video from my Media Center PC?
No, Media Center Extender Capabilities are built right in.

What type of files can I play/stream?
With a Windows Media center PC you can stream Audio files in MP3, and WMA, Picture files in JPG, GIF, BMP, PNG, and TIFF formats, and video files using Mpeg-2 and WMV codecs.

Can the Xbox360 Play Divx and Xvid files?
NO, however there are many applications available that can re-encode your videos to the supported WMV format.

Can I run Media Center Applications through the Media Center Extender?
Yes you can, however it seems to be somewhat limited and often buggy.

...From a normal Windows XP PC:

Will all network streaming be done through the Media Center Extender?
No, the Xbox360 has network streaming capabilities auxiliary to the Media Center Extender that can allow it to stream from non MCE Windows XP machines. This can be done through a free program called "Windows Media Connect". However it is a simple streaming application and not as feature filled as the Media Center Extender.

Where can I download Windows Media Connect?
http://download.micr...8a/wmcsetup.exe

What type of files can I play/stream?
With Windows Media Connect you can stream Audio files in MP3, and WMA, Picture files in JPG, GIF, BMP, PNG, and TIFF formats, and video files using Mpeg-2 and WMV codecs.

I think now you use Media Player 11 instead of media player connect.  You can use Trancode 360 to play other formats through XP MCE.

You don't have to have XP MCE, you can also use Tversity.  I use it for music and pics.  It also works for playing music through your network while in games. Here is a guide for Tversity.

dhrandy1

• Archived User
Question About Mce Usage
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2007, 06:02:00 PM »

With Windows XP and WMP11, videowise, you can only stream WMV files. It won't let you stream any other format of video files.

With Tversity, you can stream all video types and it will transcode them all to WMV files real time on the fly. The transcoder in Tversity worked so-so on HD movies, such as TS or MKV files. If you have the latest and greatest dual core processor, you may be able to transcode HD files realtime, but even with that processing power, the results will be mixed.

With Media Center 2005, you can stream TS files with HDTV Pump installed. This allows you to stream TS files without Transcoding. You use Transcode 360 to transcode everything else such as avi files and mkv files. This was the option I went with, mostly because I am almost exclusively only interested in streaming High Definition material and avi files. Media Center 2005 will give you a cleaner look and nicer interface than the other 2 options above.

Bottom line, it you want to stream HD content, go with Media Center 2005.

If you don't care about the quality of your video, and you have a standard definition TV setup, then go with Tversity.

nickolasj80

• Archived User
Question About Mce Usage
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2007, 07:30:00 PM »

QUOTE(dhrandy1 @ Jan 24 2007, 07:09 PM) View Post

Found this on another forum.  Not sure if it will help.  I don't have any ts files.

Where I found it.

yep, I think I will just go ahead and dual boot MCE 2005, only for use when pushing data to the 360.