xboxscene.org forums

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: How To Hack The Halo .map Files  (Read 121 times)

XBOX War3z

• Archived User
How To Hack The Halo .map Files
« on: July 13, 2003, 02:22:00 PM »

QUOTE (anthmoo @ Jul 13 2003, 10:45 AM)
- rename the cache ui.map and the cache bloodgulch.map to their original names (you know, bloodgulch.map and ui.map)
- Go where halo is uploaded to your xbox
- Replace the two cache maps with the ones in the halo map folder

can't work, those files are cached (unpacked) so they are completly different from the files in your map folder
just reupload them to you cache partition and reload same level beerchug.gif

anthmoo

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2003, 02:57:00 AM »

Thanks mate for the advice. Now hacking halo will be twice as fast! I'm just wondering when the unpacker comes out!

dmauro

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2003, 01:33:00 PM »

Actually pfhorslayer has already made an unpacker!  I asked him and he was kind enough to upload it for me.  He has an os x binary, or the source code which could be easily compiled.  Right now it unpacks the map (so you have a file just like you would have in your cache), and it generates text listing all of the items in the index.  He has identified several of the tags, but there are still plenty of unknowns.  It's pretty cool.

I found that I could successfully replace ui.map with a decompressed ui.map, but could not do the same for bloodgulch, but I have just been putting the files in my Y folder anyways, so it doesn't really matter.

I have tried changing the filename paths, but that doesn't seem to do anything.  I completely changed a bunch of file names in bloodgulch and nothing changed.  However, I did change the title 1 track in ui.map and it stopped the music at the main screen.  This is the only time changing the filename has done anything.

Are cache000 and cache001 the files that actually contain all the files, and cache002-005 are just for indexing?

XBOX War3z

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2003, 11:52:00 PM »

QUOTE (dmauro @ Jul 14 2003, 10:33 PM)
Actually pfhorslayer has already made an unpacker!  I asked him and he was kind enough to upload it for me.  He has an os x binary, or the source code which could be easily compiled.  Right now it unpacks the map (so you have a file just like you would have in your cache), and it generates text listing all of the items in the index.  He has identified several of the tags, but there are still plenty of unknowns.  It's pretty cool.

I found that I could successfully replace ui.map with a decompressed ui.map, but could not do the same for bloodgulch, but I have just been putting the files in my Y folder anyways, so it doesn't really matter.

I have tried changing the filename paths, but that doesn't seem to do anything.  I completely changed a bunch of file names in bloodgulch and nothing changed.  However, I did change the title 1 track in ui.map and it stopped the music at the main screen.  This is the only time changing the filename has done anything.

Are cache000 and cache001 the files that actually contain all the files, and cache002-005 are just for indexing?

yea, but halohacker is using that same program and getting all the bugs out, make it more user-friendly
got the program too wink.gif but still many probs

anthmoo

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2003, 01:16:00 AM »

hey do you think you could upload the compiled version somewhere? If you tell me the size (zipped or rarred) and I could maybe set up a free server for upload

XBOX War3z

• Archived User
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2003, 01:36:00 AM »

Current name on HaloHacker is
MapdecompresserDOES NOT WORK_FAILS BECAUSE OF MMAP_TEST-code by PfhorSlayer-p4, cygwin compile by thegeek.rar

size:421kb

so uhm they didn't got it working  blink.gif

dmauro you got it working??

anthmoo

• Archived User
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2003, 01:57:00 AM »

hey there, set up somewhere where u can upload it, lycos tripod was the answer!

Username: halochamp101
Password: halo
FTP Server: ftp.tripod.com
Port: 21

u reckon u could upload it there mate? it wud be a great help!

dmauro

• Archived User
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2003, 10:51:00 AM »

I got Pfhorslayers map decompiler working because I just used the binary for os x that was packed with the source.  I didn't even mess with the source.  It works like a charm, but all it does is decompress (which is pretty much useless when you can just pull form the cache) but the indexing is cool.  Pfhorslayer uploaded it for me, but I wouldn't feel comfortable giving out that link because I don't know that he meant for a bunch of people to download it.  Just go to the halo hacker forums or somewhere and ask him to upload it for public download.

anthmoo

• Archived User
« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2003, 11:09:00 AM »

cmon please!  i really need the link, maybe u could send me it in a PM? Please!!

pkScary

• Archived User
« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2003, 08:23:00 PM »

Also, having a decompressor paves the road to compressors and great stuff like that  smile.gif

Mike117

• Archived User
« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2003, 08:37:00 PM »

How about zipping it and renaming or rarring and renaming. I really doubt that it would work. A better idea would be to try compressing it as a .cab file and renaming it and trying that. Since MS uses .cab for windows and everything, they would want to use it for xbox and give the xbox the capability to view and extract that. That is my thought on it.

pkScary

• Archived User
« Reply #11 on: July 15, 2003, 09:13:00 PM »

QUOTE (Mike117 @ Jul 16 2003, 05:37 AM)
How about zipping it and renaming or rarring and renaming. I really doubt that it would work. A better idea would be to try compressing it as a .cab file and renaming it and trying that. Since MS uses .cab for windows and everything, they would want to use it for xbox and give the xbox the capability to view and extract that. That is my thought on it.

It's great that you are thinking of ideas.  However, unfortunately this was probably tried already, and considering the amount of hex people working on Halo, this has to have been done before.  AFAIK, the cab has an easily recognizable file header.  I've been working with file headers for just a few days now though, so I could be wrong.  I just love it when you figure out what kind of file a file really is, and you view it for the first time  cool.gif

Mike117

• Archived User
« Reply #12 on: July 15, 2003, 10:01:00 PM »

Hey, uhh... i got the files from the cache and i opened them in a hex editor and i didn't find blood gulch anywhere near the top.

jizzlobber

• Archived User
« Reply #13 on: July 15, 2003, 11:03:00 PM »

wink.gif

anthmoo

• Archived User
« Reply #14 on: July 16, 2003, 01:09:00 AM »

Hey, uhh... i got the files from the cache and i opened them in a hex editor and i didn't find blood gulch anywhere near the top.

it should be there if you interrupted the game in the bloodgulch map level, try again.
Pages: [1] 2