xboxscene.org forums

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Gas Powered Rc Car  (Read 156 times)

deakphreak

• Archived User
Gas Powered Rc Car
« on: March 08, 2006, 09:30:00 AM »

Hey everyone, this is sort of car related since its a mini car and this is the best place i could find to ask....  Ive got one of those gas powered nitro RC cars and wanted to light up the headlights and taillight and was wondering if anyone knew the best way to get lots of light out.  I could use some LED's and wire a switch on the body of the car. but im not sure how bright they would be unless i put some reflective stuff behind them. Any ideas or suggestions?

ubernewb

• Archived User
Gas Powered Rc Car
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2006, 12:55:00 PM »

kinda depends on how bright you're trying to get this thing.. you planning on doing some night driving with a camera on the front or something?

but anyways, when i lit up mine i just used standard issue leds.. one superbright white (can't remember mcd rating, but it's up there) and one low mcd yellow (for the fog light) for each headlight housing. then 2 red medium mcd leds for each tail. i then wired them up to run off a seperate 9volt battery mounted to the chassis. i also installed a small switch under the rear spoiler to turn them on/off. worked out well and looked sweeter than shit.

deakphreak

• Archived User
Gas Powered Rc Car
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2006, 12:53:00 PM »

Yup thats pretty dang close to what im lookin to do. I have some white LED's so im just gonna use them, not sure the MCD of them.  I may create some type of backing with tin foil or something just to kind of make them a bit brighter and wire everything underneath the casing with the switch poking out the top. That way i can take the top off and on easily without having any wires running to the chassis.  Any pics you could show of how you did yours just so i can get an idea.  Ive wired up my xbox with LEDs all over the place so it shouldnt be a problem, but id like to see how yours looks smile.gif

Silentscream__

• Archived User
Gas Powered Rc Car
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2006, 01:29:00 PM »

Put an underglow on it.  biggrin.gif

deakphreak

• Archived User
Gas Powered Rc Car
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2006, 02:12:00 PM »

That would actually look pretty cool on the one ive got.... http://www.icp4ever....?showtopic=1700 Maybe i will look into running another set of wires on the chassis with blue LED's for an underglow.  I dont wanna tear up the LED's though because the car does sit pretty low.

guitarfrk

• Archived User
Gas Powered Rc Car
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2006, 03:01:00 PM »

i had a buggy and for mine all i did was make a small scale bar with 4 "kc" lights(down to scale of course) with blue leds and mounted that to the top of the case... and u could see that beast from a good bit away

deakphreak

• Archived User
Gas Powered Rc Car
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2006, 03:17:00 PM »

Ive figured out the resistors i need and im gonna go pick them up tonight along with 2 - 9 volt batteries, one for the headlights and taillights and one for the blue underglow with 6 blue LEDs on it.  Im gonna work on it tonight.

ubernewb

• Archived User
Gas Powered Rc Car
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2006, 04:14:00 PM »

unfortunately i didn't get any pics of the thing before it got detroyed.. (some asshat came hauling into the parking lot and nailed it before i could react.. luckily his dad is replacing it) but when i get the new one done up, i'll get some pics and post em.

deakphreak

• Archived User
Gas Powered Rc Car
« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2006, 11:15:00 PM »

Well im a quick worker and got mine almost done. Im gonna add either another set of headlights or another set of brake lights. Maybe both and still need to do the blue underglow.

(IMG:http://www.icp4ever.com/Images/RC/RCclose.jpg)
(IMG:http://www.icp4ever.com/Images/RC/RCside.jpg)
(IMG:http://www.icp4ever.com/Images/RC/RCfront.jpg)
(IMG:http://www.icp4ever.com/Images/RC/RCback.jpg)

This post has been edited by deakphreak: Mar 9 2006, 07:16 AM

ubernewb

• Archived User
Gas Powered Rc Car
« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2006, 02:02:00 AM »

looks sweet... i also love that body, almost makes it look "cartoony" and that's awesome

deakphreak

• Archived User
Gas Powered Rc Car
« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2006, 12:12:00 PM »

Everything is on the body, so i can take it off easily.  You can see the swtich on the back just next to the fin.  I have a switch on the other side for the underglow lights which im gonna work on tonight.  It just snowed REALLY bad so im gonna be inside for a while.  Might as well add more lights. Just a quick question though, is it better to get a resister with a higher OHM then you need or lower OHM?

This post has been edited by deakphreak: Mar 9 2006, 08:13 PM

xboxhackern00b

• Archived User
Gas Powered Rc Car
« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2006, 02:48:00 PM »

i had green leds in my front bumper and then i put 1 in each wheel well and was working on some for an underglow but went over a sewer cap at around 45 and flipped the car and i just decided to take all the lights out

by the way what kinda of car is that deakphreak

deakphreak

• Archived User
Gas Powered Rc Car
« Reply #12 on: March 09, 2006, 02:57:00 PM »

Ah that sux. Im putting the underglow lights right behind the body on the sides but up just a bit so they dont hang out. Ive also lifed the body up a bit more so its not so close to the ground.  Its a Subaru Impreza "Inferno GT"

deakphreak

• Archived User
Gas Powered Rc Car
« Reply #13 on: March 10, 2006, 10:10:00 AM »

Any suggestions on what i could use to "diffuse" the light a bit, so the ungerglow glows instead of just circles on the ground from the LED's?

deadparrot

• Archived User
Gas Powered Rc Car
« Reply #14 on: March 10, 2006, 10:09:00 AM »

QUOTE(deakphreak @ Mar 10 2006, 05:10 PM) View Post

Any suggestions on what i could use to "diffuse" the light a bit, so the ungerglow glows instead of just circles on the ground from the LED's?

Put some wax paper underneath?
Pages: [1] 2