xboxscene.org forums

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5

Author Topic: Mekax V1  (Read 940 times)

guybird

• Archived User
Mekax V1
« Reply #45 on: March 09, 2006, 01:30:00 PM »

XPort, as Hargle pointed out in the Screenshots thread, wouldn't having 2 copies of the emulator make for configuration overlaps as well?  As the emulator (regardless of how its renamed or how many times its copied) is still going to reference to e:\UDATA\{somehexnumber} for their configs.  So if you set one version of Mekax to save in one location, it would ultimately overwrite the settings for the other copy of Mekax.

I hadn't put much thought into it previously, but people using Relax/Samba shares are also going to be heavily affected by this.  Those people don't want to rename their master sets that they've compiled, as they might be used in other emulators/applications as well.  I'm seeing now that it isn't just a SMS/GG issue, but also includes Sega CD & Sega Genesis as well (since many of the Sega CD releases were upgraded Genesis games like Earthworm Jim, Mortal Kombat & Ecco).  With the rekindling of Sega CD interest (thanks to you're updated NeoGenesis) most people are going to be playing the games off of the original cd, a dvd complilation, or streaming them.  You can't quite just rename a game on a cd/dvd, so those users will just be SOL unless they go burn another renamed set.

I don't want to come off as sounding demanding or arrogant, but I feel this is a larger issue than most people know.  Most people probably haven't paid much attention to their screenshots as it is a lot of work to make a complete collection, or because Chron Johnson and myself have provided packs to them.  People might also not realize the reason their save games have suddenly become "corrupt" due to one system overwriting it with another, and the emulator not being able to load a save state for a different type of rom.  If implementing this is too complex for one reason or another, I would be pleased with some alternative work around.  Anything other than renaming the files, as that is not an option in many cases.  Thanks

Nemo1985X

• Archived User
Mekax V1
« Reply #46 on: March 09, 2006, 03:32:00 PM »

If is possible to use another persons sav and state files for meka , I present stage1 of Hakuto no Ken (J)
if it works just make sure your rom names are the same.
get it here:
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=0R7K2KGE
BTW it's a mini movie ..

Someone Let me know if this works..

Tulius

• Archived User
Mekax V1
« Reply #47 on: March 09, 2006, 03:35:00 PM »

Humm... yes, In "Hokuto no Ken" on "the fat guy in stage one" you just duck and hit punch 5 or six times and then splat !!!
trust me .

The same thing happens in The PS2 version (I just tested it)

Again great work Xport. It is now possible to play Shadow Dancer and Panzer Dragoon Mini
and really like how you can play Safari Hunt with the controller, although it is a little akward , it's alot better
than not being able to play it at all.

laugh.gif Hey Nemo1985X you're right about the fat guy, thanks to all of you.

Thraxen

• Archived User
Mekax V1
« Reply #48 on: March 09, 2006, 05:49:00 PM »

XPort, as Hargle pointed out in the Screenshots thread, wouldn't having 2 copies of the emulator make for configuration overlaps as well? As the emulator (regardless of how its renamed or how many times its copied) is still going to reference to e:\UDATA\{somehexnumber} for their configs. So if you set one version of Mekax to save in one location, it would ultimately overwrite the settings for the other copy of Mekax.

As a work around you can actually change the save location of one of the installations.  I assume this is what VampX meant when he said he was running two hacked installs of SMSPlus.  If you don't know how to do that you can see a quick guide I wrote a couple weeks back here:  Link

rob_ocelot

• Archived User
Mekax V1
« Reply #49 on: March 09, 2006, 11:01:00 PM »

This question is directed to either Xport or Omar:

Does Meka support any of the 3D games?

If the emulator doesn't support the 3D games directly, one way of getting around the dedicated 3D glasses issue are red and blue filters for alternating frames.  A set of your standard cheapo red and blue 3D glasses would work then.  The effect will probably be headache inducing, but then again the original 3D glasses were pretty flickery and annoying too.

There's another option that I've been mulling over --  making a small circuit to attach the 3D goggles to the Xbox USB bus.  The glasses LCD shutter effect is triggerd by square wave pulses from the SMS card port.  The 3D glasses themselves plug into a small interface card via a 1/8" stereo plug.  The original Sega 3D goggles are a bit hard to come by but thankfully the design is a standard one for PC 3D goggles.  There was a time not too long ago when new 3D gfx cards also came with a free pair of LCD shutter goggles and a middleman program to work out right eye/left eye information.  I know Descent could be played like this.  Anyway, you can find a set of these goggles on ebay for pretty cheap.  MekaX though would have to be tweaked to send the card port pulses to the USB.

My question -- is it worth all this effort to play the 5 or so 3D games?

(Zaxxon 3D, Space Harrier 3D, Outrun 3D, Maze Hunter 3D,  Posieden Wars 3D,  any others?)

Joshua Wood

• Archived User
Mekax V1
« Reply #50 on: March 10, 2006, 02:22:00 PM »

If you read the meka txt file that comes with it then yes it supports 3D, and there are several different possibilities, including using the original glasses on a PC with instructions how. I also think one way was via a split screen with the 2 images.

Whether this is in mekaX I don't know, can't test yet, my new mod chip STILL hasn't arrived...(grrrr...getting angry with couriers...it doesn't take 4 working days to ship something 800Km.....)

Edit: wOOt, my 800th post wink.gif

the-tyrant

• Archived User
Mekax V1
« Reply #51 on: March 10, 2006, 03:55:00 PM »

Is anyone having problems with this emulator freezing up on them? Sometimes it plays fine and then when i go to make a change to something, Like maybe change filters it locks up. I restart the xbox and when i go to load Meka all i get is the loading screen. The only way around this is to delete meka.ini and start over. I am not sure what is causing this. once it did it when i enabled the soften filter. once when i changed from super eagle 2x to hq2x. and once when i tried to adjust the screensize. I have been using Xport's Emulators for 2  years now and have never seen this bug.. His latest two updates,  NeoGenesis and Xboyadvanced don't have this glitch. Any ideas?  

p.s. Thanks for this great new emulator Xport. I have always Appreciated your work. good job.

I should add that i have a 1.6 xbox Xecuter 2.6 and 250 gig western digital hard drive. i have a hdtv and always run the emulator in 1080i. Dont know if any of that matters. i haven't tried any other resolutions. i will try 720p or 480p latter tonight when i get home.

foxxfella

• Archived User
Mekax V1
« Reply #52 on: March 10, 2006, 04:42:00 PM »

You might have a bad rom dump. Try a different set maybe that helps.

Viewtiful Asher

• Archived User
Mekax V1
« Reply #53 on: March 10, 2006, 08:19:00 PM »

QUOTE(rob_ocelot @ Mar 10 2006, 07:08 AM) View Post

A set of your standard cheapo red and blue 3D glasses would work then

yeah also it could work with reality boy...

Knocks

• Archived User
Mekax V1
« Reply #54 on: March 10, 2006, 10:59:00 PM »

I vote Xport as the top Xbox developer.  He brought so much joy to my enjoyment of Xbox, along with the XBMC team and the FBA-X/XXX/Pro crew.  

Xport, I only hope that when Xbox360 is hacked you will port some emulators over there too.  It'll probably be hard with the Power PC core and all, but there are some nice emulators for OS-X, so there's hope!

As a side note, I find it hilarious that the original coder of Mekka found out about an Xbox port, tracked us down, and registered for X-S just to comment on it!  Greetings Omar and Xport!   beerchug.gif  I hope you do get to work together in the future.

the-tyrant

• Archived User
Mekax V1
« Reply #55 on: March 11, 2006, 08:40:00 AM »

QUOTE(the-tyrant @ Mar 11 2006, 06:02 AM) View Post

I have tried a few different games both sms and gg. i don't think its the rom dump. They all worked in the other emulator. And i have had them running in mekax. They wiull play fine. when i exit the emulator normaly and later try to start it will just freeze on the load/ splash screen whatever you want to call it. or when i push the right thumbstick and change a setting, like the hardware filter and then go back to the game it will freeze up. it just seems to lock up at random. and the only way to fix it is to delete meka.ini and start from scratch. i wonder if it could be a problem with the skin? either that or one of the video settings i am using. oh well. i am not complaining. the emulator is great regardless. i was just curious if anyone else had this problem.

ok i have tried some differnet settings. it seems it only happens in 1080i. 480p and 720p seem fine. like i said never noticed this in any of the other xport emulators.

rob_ocelot

• Archived User
Mekax V1
« Reply #56 on: March 12, 2006, 09:17:00 PM »

QUOTE(Joshua Wood @ Mar 10 2006, 10:29 PM) View Post

If you read the meka txt file that comes with it then yes it supports 3D, and there are several different possibilities, including using the original glasses on a PC with instructions how. I also think one way was via a split screen with the 2 images.

Whether this is in mekaX I don't know, can't test yet, my new mod chip STILL hasn't arrived...(grrrr...getting angry with couriers...it doesn't take 4 working days to ship something 800Km.....)

Edit: wOOt, my 800th post wink.gif

Read that, and AFAICT it only shows one set of eye information at half the frame rate, not a split screen.  This is more a convenience feature -- most of the 3D games have cheat codes to let you play in 2D like this (and with the full frame rate).  The emulator core supports glasses through the com port but I doubt that useful on the Xbox without some tweaking recompiling.

An added bonus for us MEKA users is that it can run Colecovision games, but I don't know if Xport coded the interface to show the CV filename extension.  Have to experiment with this.

Joshua Wood

• Archived User
Mekax V1
« Reply #57 on: March 14, 2006, 03:40:00 AM »

QUOTE(JLsoft @ Mar 9 2006, 10:01 PM) View Post

XPort,

When/if this emulator gets a revision, would you please consider making the default setting for 'Emulate FM Music' to OFF instead of ON?  
Only the Japanese Master System had FM hardware built-in (there was an addon for the Mark III, though), and even then just several games supported it for 'better' music.  Because of this, it's forced off in Meka by default (but it's ON in MekaX)

My suggestion is either making the default setting OFF, or else making it one of those global settings where you just have to change it once and it changes for everything afterwards, like the video filter settings, etc.  Then someone can set it to how they want and forget about it, not have to change it with every new game they play (the way it is now)

Hm...in the other newly released emu's it saves your last game settings as defaults for all new games, so you could just set FM to off. However, these settings don't appear to carry over to other games in MekaX....not for me anyways. I'm sure this is just an oversight and will be included in a later release.

JLsoft

• Archived User
Mekax V1
« Reply #58 on: March 21, 2006, 02:28:00 AM »

XPort,

Will you be adding ColecoVision-specific options to MekaX (CV games work, but controller definitions for the CV's number pad is needed in order to start almost all of them :P), or will you be focusing on just updating AdamX for ColecoVision/Adam stuff?

...also while I'm on the subject, the virtual keyboard should be active since the SC-3000 was a computer system.  I doubt anyone would be using this, but I'm just mentioning it for completeness' sake :)

OUTRUN86

• Archived User
Mekax V1
« Reply #59 on: April 05, 2006, 09:34:00 PM »

My MEKA(and other Xport App.) folders

E:/
  <XPORT>
    <MEKAX>
      <MEKAX.ini> /* folder! */
      <SMS>
        <SAVEGAME>
        <SCREENSHOTS>