xboxscene.org forums

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]

Author Topic: FrostyTheSnowman and Xman954's VGA Boot Disc v1.0  (Read 525 times)

Heimdall

• Archived User
FrostyTheSnowman and Xman954's VGA Boot Disc v1.0
« Reply #45 on: February 24, 2009, 12:48:00 PM »

No disadvantages at all! Use the boot disc to try things out. Once you're happy you can change to the softmod if you want. I'm fairly certain that Kingroach NDURE 3.1 also supports VGA, so you have a choice of softmods as well. The advantage of Kingroach is that you can easily switch between RGB (VGA) and conventional video, and still have eject boot to a retail MS Dash.

Heimdall

• Archived User
« Reply #46 on: April 29, 2009, 07:48:00 PM »

Have you taken x2config.ini from the Frosty/Xman package, edited it to point to your dashboard (as described in the instructions), and placed it on the root of your E partition?

Heimdall

• Archived User
« Reply #47 on: April 29, 2009, 08:03:00 PM »

And have you deleted your original x2config.ini from C as well? It's also worth checking that you have the following line in the config.:

dvdBootXbeName = nothing.xbe

It sounds as though it's continually booting from the DVD, which would happen with your original X2config.ini on C, or with dvdBootXbeName = default.xbe, as it is in the original config.

Heimdall

• Archived User
« Reply #48 on: April 30, 2009, 12:20:00 PM »

I've had a think, and I'm fairly certain that you'll need to change the BIOS on your chip to make the whole thing work.

A standard BIOS looks for D:\default.xbe as its first dash, and that's the file on the VGA boot disc that runs to load the VGA BIOS. However, once the VGA BIOS loads the first thing it does by default would the same thing - look for D:\default.xbe - and get into a permanent loop of loading the VGA BIOS, running D:\default.xbe, loading the VGA BIOS, and so on. Now, for the X2.5035 BIOS you can prevent that loop by changing the name of the first dash the BIOS looks for - that's what setting dvdBootXbeName = nothing.xbe in x2config.ini achieves. HOWEVER, that means that your original X2.5035 BIOS (on the chip) will now never boot from the DVD because it uses the same x2config.ini, so your Xbox won't boot the VGA boot disc in the first place - catch 22!

The solution is to put a different BIOS on your chip - iND-BIOS.5003 is an excellent alternative, and can be configured from a file in the same way as X2.5035 - but it uses a different file, so there's no conflict. That way, iND-BIOS can be set up to boot normally (including booting default.xbe from the DVD), and the X2.5035 VGA BIOS on Frosty/Xman's disc can still be set to NOT boot from the DVD, so it never gets into a loop.

Config.xml on C is presumably for your dashboard, and it's fine - it's spare copies of x2config.ini that will cause problems.

bigby

• Archived User
« Reply #49 on: January 22, 2010, 07:15:00 PM »

I am using the boot disk for a HDTV (1080P) and a PC monitor (1024 x 768). On the TV the top portion of the screen is garbled (wavey lines). On the PC monior the screen is tinted green.

My dash (XBMC) is at E:\Apps\XBMC\default.xbe. However the dash boots from C:\evoxdash.xbe at bootup.

What should the path in the x2config.ini point to?

What could be the reasons for the green tint and garbled image?

The PC monitor only has a dvi connection, so I use a vga - dvi adapter. Does this matter?

Xbox is v1.0 with xecuter 2.6 modchip and the monitor is a Sony M51D. The cable is VGA frozen cable.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]