xboxscene.org forums

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: How To Run Windows Xp On X-box  (Read 645 times)

parsaw

• Archived User
How To Run Windows Xp On X-box
« Reply #15 on: January 11, 2005, 03:25:00 PM »

Wow.

Windows XP on Xbox would be sort of cool and stufffffffff, but it wouldn't work that well.

It would be nice to run Battlefield and other games like that on my Xbox though..

neosnightmare

• Archived User
« Reply #16 on: January 12, 2005, 04:36:00 AM »

i can just picture the mega lag when u do simple things like opening a folder. and this is putting aside the hardware capatibility issues.

me opening folder:

click click

*two hours later*

FUCK THIS! need Kill.Switch fix. NOW! its been two hours!

ferrari_rulz_02

• Archived User
« Reply #17 on: January 12, 2005, 04:42:00 AM »

QUOTE(neosnightmare @ Jan 12 2005, 10:31 PM)
i can just picture the mega lag when u do simple things like opening a folder. and this is putting aside the hardware capatibility issues.

me opening folder:

click click

*two hours later*

FUCK THIS! need Kill.Switch fix. NOW! its been two hours!

and thats when it wants to perform at its best.

devguy

• Archived User
« Reply #18 on: January 18, 2005, 10:14:00 PM »

was he talking about running Battlefield 1942 on the xbox  using bochs?     wow.  

uh... have fun?  jester.gif

LESTAT

• Archived User
« Reply #19 on: January 19, 2005, 02:55:00 AM »

battlefield on the xbox  yup thats what the man said

jesus what part of 64 MEGS OF RAM WILL BARELY RUN WINDOWS dont people understand . ??

even with the 128 meg mod windows XP will still dog out.  it would run worse that linux and linux does some serious file swapping.  try running more than 1 thins is a serious task.

forget every running games if they do get XP running, it will be internet browsing and XBE launching only, and even then i doubt you could launch an xbe from windows.  MAYBE music and movies is HIGHLY doubtful.
XP embedded is apossibility though so lets hoep they get her running.

ferrari_rulz_02

• Archived User
« Reply #20 on: January 19, 2005, 04:16:00 AM »

have you ever tried runbnng xp on a pc with 128mb ram? it slooooooow at the best of times. and the ram in an xbox is shared with teh video (i think), so tahts worse.

so it should play music, maybe low bitrate movies, and not much more.

forget this idea ever occured, and lets all get on with our lives, living in the pressent, not the past

Stabby_McTwist

• Archived User
« Reply #21 on: January 19, 2005, 06:00:00 PM »

QUOTE(ferrari_rulz_02 @ Jan 19 2005, 06:11 AM)
have you ever tried runbnng xp on a pc with 128mb ram? it slooooooow at the best of times.

Yep.. the 'Homework' computer in my house runs XP on a PII 400 with 64 MB ram and a 10GB HD. Wow that sounds alot like an XBox only a slower CPU.
It cant play new games, but it can do lots of stuff aside from that. So id say.. dont knock it till its runnin.. Once I see a version of XP for the XBox that will actually install and stuff Im pretty sure Ill go out and buy a 128MB XBox mobo just to run XP on.

ferrari_rulz_02

• Archived User
« Reply #22 on: January 20, 2005, 02:23:00 AM »

QUOTE(Stabby_McTwist @ Jan 20 2005, 11:55 AM)
Yep.. the 'Homework' computer in my house runs XP on a PII 400 with 64 MB ram and a 10GB HD. Wow that sounds alot like an XBox only a slower CPU.
It cant play new games, but it can do lots of stuff aside from that. So id say.. dont knock it till its runnin.. Once I see a version of XP for the XBox that will actually install and stuff Im pretty sure Ill go out and buy a 128MB XBox mobo just to run XP on.

yer ok, but how many HOURS does it take to start the thing up?

Stabby_McTwist

• Archived User
« Reply #23 on: January 20, 2005, 08:12:00 AM »

QUOTE(ferrari_rulz_02 @ Jan 20 2005, 04:18 AM)
yer ok, but how many HOURS does it take to start the thing up?

About 30 seconds from POST to Win Login

chimpanzee

• Archived User
« Reply #24 on: January 20, 2005, 01:32:00 PM »

QUOTE(Stabby_McTwist @ Jan 20 2005, 04:07 PM)
About 30 seconds from POST to Win Login

Your XP must have been tuned. I have a 700Mhz Celeron notebook, 320M RAM with XP. The 256M RAM module busted once and it took ages to boot into the desktop(it was acceptable in time to get to the Logon screen, but loading the desktop took ages), and launching IE also took ages, the disk just keep spinning for more virtual memory.

Stabby_McTwist

• Archived User
« Reply #25 on: January 20, 2005, 04:23:00 PM »

QUOTE(chimpanzee @ Jan 20 2005, 03:27 PM)
Your XP must have been tuned. I have a 700Mhz Celeron notebook, 320M RAM with XP. The 256M RAM module busted once and it took ages to boot into the desktop(it was acceptable in time to get to the Logon screen, but loading the desktop took ages), and launching IE also took ages, the disk just keep spinning for more virtual memory.

Well.. you are using a different kind of system.. Laptops are usually slower (cuz they use the Mobile processor, they tend to do and load things a little slower) and its also a Celeron.. it has a smaller (i belive) L2 cache. I really cant say anything for sure as ive got a killer headach and sinus headach to boot (from being in a warehouse all day) and I havent really touched anything between the Pentium/Celeron in about 4 years.. I just know that something is smaller.

But hey... if this old hunk-a-junk can run XP im sure sexy sexy beast that the Xbox is could (its called wishful thinkin lol)

ferrari_rulz_02

• Archived User
« Reply #26 on: January 24, 2005, 07:14:00 PM »

QUOTE(Stabby_McTwist @ Jan 21 2005, 10:18 AM)
Well.. you are using a different kind of system.. Laptops are usually slower (cuz they use the Mobile processor, they tend to do and load things a little slower) and its also a Celeron.. it has a smaller (i belive) L2 cache. I really cant say anything for sure as ive got a killer headach and sinus headach to boot (from being in a warehouse all day) and I havent really touched anything between the Pentium/Celeron in about 4 years.. I just know that something is smaller.

But hey... if this old hunk-a-junk can run XP im sure sexy sexy beast that the Xbox is could (its called wishful thinkin lol)

well yer i think teh L2 chache on celerons are small, thats why they are cheap to buy. i think runnign xp might work, but you woudl have to try it and see how fast it is before you start reccomending it

nsspeak

• Archived User
« Reply #27 on: January 25, 2005, 10:36:00 PM »

I have windows XP on my xbox right now, as I type this...

well, the CD is just lying near the xbox jewel, but its a start...

Anhaedra

• Archived User
« Reply #28 on: January 25, 2005, 11:38:00 PM »

QUOTE(INSB_GLOCK @ Jan 8 2005, 12:45 PM)
LMAO WINDOWS XP ON XBOX??? I MAY TRY THIS TO SEE IF IT WILL RUN WINDOWS 98 OR 95 BUT WAT ELSE IS FUNY IS. WINDOWS XP LMMFAO! THE CURRENT WINDOWS XP WILL NOT RUN ON 64MB OF SYSTEM RAM, AND U CAN DO A MEMORY UPGRADE BUT MAX 128MB. LOL THATS STILL FUNNY. HEY I COULD BE WRONG BUT ISNT BOCHS A X86 EMULATOR. THATS GONA EAT SOME MEMORY TOO, AND I READ ON ANOTHER FORUM THAT THE XBOX CANT GO PAST 128MB OF SYSTEM RAM BECAUSE THE DDR CHIPS "ANYTHING LARGER THAN 16MB EACH CHIP REQUIRES MORE ADDRESSES FOR THE RAM" MEANING IT WILL HAVE MORE LEGS ON THE CHIP. SO ITS NOT POSSIBLE. U SHOULD BE FLAMED FOR WINDOWS XP ON A XBOX LOL. SOMEONE GET THIS LIL FAGEL A MAXIPAD. U CAN TELL HIS MOM WAS ON CRACK WHEN HE WAS BORN. DO US ALL A FAVOR AND GO RUN LAPS BACK AND FORTH ACROSS A BUSY HIGHWAY! LMMFAO laugh.gif

Turn off your caps lock and shut the fuck up. Bochs is an X86 emu, RAM chips do not need more pins for more addresses, and the "LOL UR MOM" jokes got old a very long time ago.

ferrari_rulz_02

• Archived User
« Reply #29 on: January 31, 2005, 01:16:00 AM »

QUOTE(nsspeak @ Jan 26 2005, 03:06 PM)
I have windows XP on my xbox right now, as I type this...

well, the CD is just lying near the xbox jewel, but its a start...

well let us know when you get any further
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4