xboxscene.org forums

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Best Free Alternative To Flashfxp?  (Read 163 times)

Xbox Maniax

• Archived User
Best Free Alternative To Flashfxp?
« on: February 20, 2005, 11:15:00 AM »

Hi all, after my trial of FlashFXP has expired, I need a new app to do the job, I've tried FileZilla which has a great user interface, the speed are just not very good, even though I have applied the "use passive mode" thing. In FlashFXP there were an option to enable "NOT PASV", is this option also in FileZilla, and if, where? Can anyone recommend a program that runs better than FileZilla? <

wolf88

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2005, 11:20:00 AM »

SmartFTP is my favorite free FTP app. <

total_ass

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2005, 01:07:00 PM »

SmartFTP is indeed very good. I use it, and in my opinion it is better than Flashfxp. <

Xbox Maniax

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2005, 06:13:00 AM »

QUOTE(total_ass @ Feb 20 2005, 07:02 PM)
SmartFTP is indeed very good. I use it, and in my opinion it is better than Flashfxp.

Ehm, SmartFTP is only free for 30 days???  <_<

kala

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2005, 10:47:00 PM »

Quick question........what are your average speeds when you are transfering to your F: drive and how bout E: drive, using SmartFTP?

I use FlashFXP and my speeds are:

F: 500 kb/s  :(

E: 7,000 kb/s-12,000+ kb/s  :D <

Xbox Maniax

• Archived User
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2005, 07:00:00 AM »

QUOTE(kala @ Feb 22 2005, 04:42 AM)
Quick question........what are your average speeds when you are transfering to your F: drive and how bout E: drive, using SmartFTP?

I use FlashFXP and my speeds are:

F: 500 kb/s  :(

E: 7,000 kb/s-12,000+ kb/s  :D

Ehm, SmartFTP suxx quite much in my opinion, no site manager, speeds are the same as FileZilla, so I prefer FileZilla if it's not faster. Damn, perhaps I should just pay out for a copy of FlashFXP, doesn't seems like there is any program as fast as this.

I get about 200 kb/s to F: in SmartFTP, in FlashFXP i get about 700 kb/s stable  :(

Spaceman2004

• Archived User
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2005, 04:26:00 PM »

SmartFTP is free for personal use. Plus I don't think you've set things up correctly. I push the max speed all the time on large files, which around 12MB/s.

If you're running a P2P program that can slow things down if you've got ICS going at the same time. <

Xbox Maniax

• Archived User
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2005, 06:09:00 AM »

QUOTE(Spaceman2004 @ Feb 22 2005, 10:21 PM)
SmartFTP is free for personal use. Plus I don't think you've set things up correctly. I push the max speed all the time on large files, which around 12MB/s.

If you're running a P2P program that can slow things down if you've got ICS going at the same time.

The circumstances are the same for FlashFXP, FileZilla and SmartFTP, that means the CPU is loaded the same when running one of the programmes. The only difference is that FileZilla and SmartFTP can only achieve about 2-500 kb/s (500 kb/s is in the end of a large file, most of the time it only runs 200 kb/s) while FlashFXP achieves 700 kb/s stable all the time, I still haven't figured out how to activate "NOT PASV" when downloading, in FileZilla or SmartFTP, does anyone know if it is possible?

Garcia525

• Archived User
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2005, 11:12:00 AM »

I'm using CoreFTP.  Pretty basic.....no 30-day trial and it gets the job done. <

mrRobinson

• Archived User
« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2005, 11:17:00 AM »

There is nothing wrong with filezilla and it is probably the best "freeware" ftp program out.  if you go to site manager and go to advanced for your xbox ftp connection you can select whether to use passive, active or default modes.  If you are trying to ftp to evox (you haven't said) you do NOT want to use Passive mode, if you are ftping with another dash then you WOULD want to use passive mode. <

Xbox Maniax

• Archived User
« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2005, 11:06:00 AM »

QUOTE(mrRobinson @ Feb 24 2005, 05:12 PM)
There is nothing wrong with filezilla and it is probably the best "freeware" ftp program out.  if you go to site manager and go to advanced for your xbox ftp connection you can select whether to use passive, active or default modes.  If you are trying to ftp to evox (you haven't said) you do NOT want to use Passive mode, if you are ftping with another dash then you WOULD want to use passive mode.

Hi, I like FileZilla a lot too, it has a great interface and can do almost the same as FlashFXP, only problem is that I can't get the same speeds as in FlashFXP. I'm using FiliZilla on the PC and Avalaunch on the Xbox, I've already enabled "passive mode" in FileZilla, but is it possible to enable "NOT PASV" in FileZilla, because this feature is enabled in FlashFXP. From what I can remeber it has something to do with the FXP protocol, if you enable "NOT PASV" then it runs over the FXP protocol, instead of the FTP protocol.

But do you (or other persons) know how, and if, it is possible to enable the FXP protocol in FileZillla?

NOTE: "Passive mode" and "NOT PASV" is not the same thing, I know this for sure as they are 2 different things in FlashFXP.

This post has been edited by Xbox Maniax: Feb 24 2005, 07:11 PM

ThaCrip

• Archived User
« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2005, 06:27:00 PM »

FlashFXP is my free alternative to FlashFXP...  *wink wink* if u catch my drift ;)

but anyways... the main reason i think FlashFXP is so good is cause besides the fact it works well...  is it's interface is nice and clean and is just plain efficient... where as filezilla is decent but not nearly as good when it comes to a clean interface.

just my thoughts

p.s. when u use PASV mode transfer it's well PASV mode ... when u turn off PASV mode it uses PORT mode.

This post has been edited by ThaCrip: Feb 25 2005, 02:32 AM <

Xbox Maniax

• Archived User
« Reply #12 on: February 25, 2005, 11:40:00 AM »

QUOTE(ThaCrip @ Feb 25 2005, 12:22 AM)
FlashFXP is my free alternative to FlashFXP...  *wink wink* if u catch my drift ;)

but anyways... the main reason i think FlashFXP is so good is cause besides the fact it works well...  is it's interface is nice and clean and is just plain efficient... where as filezilla is decent but not nearly as good when it comes to a clean interface.

just my thoughts

p.s. when u use PASV mode transfer it's well PASV mode ... when u turn off PASV mode it uses PORT mode.

Yes, but can this "PASV" mode be turned on and off in FileZilla and if, where?
I have read on XS that "PASV" decides wheater it runs the FXP or FTP protocol.

incognegro

• Archived User
« Reply #13 on: February 25, 2005, 03:29:00 PM »

Ok, Ive been through quite a bit of ftp programs and i think absolute ftp is better than flashxp but its not free..........right now i use leechftp and it gets the job done plus its free..........i think its pretty fast. If you want to know what my absolute favourite ftp program is? its.......WEBDRIVE!  its really fast and turns your xbox into a folder on your desktop. So when i download stuff i an save them directly into my xbox and edit stuff in my xbox and even run programs located on my xbox from my computer (im sure nobody is gonna want to do that tho, but its good to know). Its not free though........ <

mrRobinson

• Archived User
« Reply #14 on: February 26, 2005, 10:14:00 AM »

QUOTE(Xbox Maniax @ Feb 24 2005, 12:12 PM)
Hi, I like FileZilla a lot too, it has a great interface and can do almost the same as FlashFXP, only problem is that I can't get the same speeds as in FlashFXP. I'm using FiliZilla on the PC and Avalaunch on the Xbox, I've already enabled "passive mode" in FileZilla, but is it possible to enable "NOT PASV" in FileZilla, because this feature is enabled in FlashFXP. From what I can remeber it has something to do with the FXP protocol, if you enable "NOT PASV" then it runs over the FXP protocol, instead of the FTP protocol.

But do you (or other persons) know how, and if, it is possible to enable the FXP protocol in FileZillla?

NOTE: "Passive mode" and "NOT PASV" is not the same thing, I know this for sure as they are 2 different things in FlashFXP.

Your answer is right here in my previous reply " if you go to site manager and go to advanced for your xbox ftp connection you can select whether to use passive, active or default modes".  Plus WHAT DASH ARE YOU USING. cause it makes a difference as to what mode you SHOULD use.
Pages: [1] 2