xboxscene.org forums

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Best Free Alternative To Flashfxp?  (Read 162 times)

Xbox Maniax

• Archived User
Best Free Alternative To Flashfxp?
« Reply #15 on: February 26, 2005, 01:15:00 PM »

QUOTE(mrRobinson @ Feb 26 2005, 05:20 PM)
Your answer is right here in my previous reply " if you go to site manager and go to advanced for your xbox ftp connection you can select whether to use passive, active or default modes".  Plus WHAT DASH ARE YOU USING. cause it makes a difference as to what mode you SHOULD use.

I use Avalaunch. But still "passive mode" and "NOT PASV" is two different things, at least in FlashFXP it is, check it out yourself here:

(IMG:http://www.xbox-scene.com/imageserver4/speed-up/01.jpg)

As you can see "NOT PASV" and "Passive mode" is two different things. I need to run this "NOT PASV", to be able to run the FXP protocol, there's something about it here:

I had the problem of getting quite slow speeds uploading and downloading to my Xbox.
Usually I got only 2-3 Mb/sec, sometimes only 100-200k !! :(

The tutorial below describes how to fix this using the FXP protocol and the build in FTP server in EvolutionX.

Best physical connection to use is a good (CAT5) crosslink cable, but a hub or switch should work fine too, make sure they can handle 100Mbit network speed of course ;)

The solution is to use the FXP protocol instead of the FTP protocol to transfer the data from and to your PC.
FXP is a protocol that makes it possible to send data from server to server, also known as the ‘server to server’ protocol.
First you've got to set up a FTP server on your pc, I prefer using Serv-U FTP because it is easy to use ;)
It can be downloaded here: http://www.serv-u.com

Next we've got to set up an account here, follow the 'getting started' guide by clicking help if you're not familiar with this program.

Now we've got to make a little change in the default Flashfxp settings…
The connection to Home FTP can have all default flashfxp settings, for the XBOX connection we’ve got to select the alternative (FXP) method to NOT PASV (see picture below).

Source: http://www.xbox-scene.com/articles/speed-up.php

Hope you or somebody can help me after these infos.

This post has been edited by Xbox Maniax: Feb 26 2005, 09:16 PM

mrRobinson

• Archived User
« Reply #16 on: February 27, 2005, 01:47:00 PM »

You are slightly confused here.  Do you want to use FXP or do you want to just have faster speeds with some other client besides FlashFXP?  I was assuming the latter and still am but I think you think you need FXP to get those speeds and that is not true.  Use filezilla with pasv ON.  Ftp in, transfer something and post the ftp log.  Then we can work on changing other settings to make it faster.

jmlsteele

• Archived User
« Reply #17 on: March 17, 2005, 08:13:00 AM »

Heh... can you believe I registered for the sole reason of posting this comment?

The FXP protocol is ONLY used when transferring from one FTP server to another.  So chances are, unless you run an FTP server on your local machine, use FlashFXP to connect to it, and at the SAME TIME connect to the ftp server on your xbox, and then transfers files in that manner, you CAN'T use the FXP protocol.

In fact FXP isn’t a protocol at all... it’s just a way of doing things that is different then "normal."

Basically what happens in a normal FTP session is as follows:

PASV mode:

Client-> PASV
Server->Passive OK (111.222.333.444 12345)
Client then connects to 111.222.333.444 on port 12345 to initiate the transfer

PORT mode:

Client-> PORT 111.222.333.444 12345
Server-> PORT OK!
Server then connects to the IP client specified on the port specified to initiate the transfer.

For FXP it goers as follows:

Client to Server 1-> PASV
Server 1 to Client-> Passive OK <server 1 IP> <port number>

Client to Server 2-> PORT <server 1 IP> <port number>
Server 2 to Client -> PORT OK!

And then Server 2 connects to Server 1 to initiate the transfer.

The "Downloading(NOT PASV)" option in FlashFXP means that that server will be the one the client issues the PORT command to (server 2 in my example).  When you are FXPing between 2 servers one of them MUST be PASV and one MUST be PORT (FlashFXP just picks one at random if you don’t have either "Downloading(NOT PASV)" or "Uploading(PASV)" checked.

Hope this information proves at least a bit useful.

jmlsteele

FlashFXP user Extraordinaire!

Edit: Typos and such...

This post has been edited by jmlsteele: Mar 17 2005, 04:16 PM

jchiar

• Archived User
« Reply #18 on: March 17, 2005, 02:19:00 PM »

QUOTE(mrRobinson @ Feb 26 2005, 05:20 PM)
Your answer is right here in my previous reply " if you go to site manager and go to advanced for your xbox ftp connection you can select whether to use passive, active or default modes".  Plus WHAT DASH ARE YOU USING. cause it makes a difference as to what mode you SHOULD use.

what mode do you use for avalaunch? Passive or not?

Xbox Maniax

• Archived User
« Reply #19 on: March 22, 2005, 10:39:00 AM »

sad.gif

What the hell is wrong, is it just because my PC is old that the speeds doesn't get higher? It's a 533 Mhz AMD with 192 MB RAM???

hidareign

• Archived User
« Reply #20 on: March 24, 2005, 11:22:00 AM »

http://www.craxtion.com

Craxtion has a built in ftp client in it. It says just to connect to your xbox but i have found it able to communicate with other ftp servers as well.
Average speed 2,800 kbs at my house. hopefully that helps out

jchiar

• Archived User
« Reply #21 on: March 24, 2005, 12:24:00 PM »

QUOTE(Xbox Maniax @ Mar 22 2005, 05:45 PM)
Okay, I just installed a NEW 100 Mbit NIC in my PC, but the speed is almost the same as before, 7-800 kb/s with FlashFXP and Avalaunch  :(

What the hell is wrong, is it just because my PC is old that the speeds doesn't get higher? It's a 533 Mhz AMD with 192 MB RAM???

i get 500kb /sec
thats fast
i have a 1.2gh

TDCatcher

• Archived User
« Reply #22 on: March 24, 2005, 03:05:00 PM »

QUOTE(Xbox Maniax @ Mar 22 2005, 10:45 AM)
Okay, I just installed a NEW 100 Mbit NIC in my PC, but the speed is almost the same as before, 7-800 kb/s with FlashFXP and Avalaunch  :(

That's old.  Get a new pc!  Ok seriously, I don't know if that is the problem. What size files are you transferring?  If I transfer a large file using Flash FXP, I get 2,800 kbs or so.  That is transferring from the d drive of the xbox to my hard drive in my pc, I have never done the opposite.  I don't transfer files to my xbox.

Xbox Maniax

• Archived User
« Reply #23 on: March 25, 2005, 07:03:00 AM »

QUOTE(TDCatcher @ Mar 24 2005, 10:11 PM)
That's old.  Get a new pc!  Ok seriously, I don't know if that is the problem. What size files are you transferring?  If I transfer a large file using Flash FXP, I get 2,800 kbs or so.  That is transferring from the d drive of the xbox to my hard drive in my pc, I have never done the opposite.  I don't transfer files to my xbox.

It's both large and small files, the average speed is almost always the same, 7-800 kb/s and it suxx   :grr:
I mostly upload stuff FROM the PC TO the Xbox, seldomly the opposite.
Would Craxtion really help me? I see that there's another user with quite a new PC and he's only getting 500 kb/s and think that it's fast, I find this quite strange that there's such a difference, some get about 3-9 MB/s and others only get about 1 MB/s, even with  supposedly fast NICs?

The_Truth

• Archived User
« Reply #24 on: March 25, 2005, 12:48:00 PM »

my favorite freeware ftp client is and will be coreftp... it's quite clean, simple to use, fast, basic, and stores your logins to "the usual places", and to your xbox ;)
Pages: 1 [2]