xboxscene.org forums

Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Dvd2xbox 0.3.4 Copies Dvd Movies?  (Read 234 times)

skabio

• Archived User
Dvd2xbox 0.3.4 Copies Dvd Movies?
« on: July 10, 2003, 06:26:00 AM »

I was looking at the .nfo for the new release for this app and it reads:

* added media detection (XBOX DVD / Video DVD)
* copying Video DVDs using libdvdread/libdvdcss

Maybe I'm reading this wrong but does this mean it has the ability to rip dvd movies to the HD?  If so this would be awsome news.  Something tells me I'm wrong though.

skabio

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2003, 07:45:00 AM »

Ok so I did a little searching and found a program on sourceforge called dvdfilter.  It uses libdvdread/libdvdcss to encrypted and unencrypted dvds so maybe dvd2xbox does infact unencrypt dvd movies to be played off the Xbox HD.  I'm not at home so I cant test it out.

WiSo

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2003, 08:04:00 AM »

dvd2xbox  is able to copy normal and encrypted video DVDs but very slow at the moment.
I've tested it only with two DVDs and need a little feedback and I also forget to reenable the
tray notification  after testing dry.gif
I have some ideas for speed improvements. hopefully they work  wink.gif

skabio

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2003, 08:17:00 AM »

Does it just rip the movie portion or is it the whole thing menu's, extras and all?  Either way it sounds very promising.  I'll have to give it a go when I get home.

WiSo

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2003, 08:41:00 AM »

It rips the whole DVD

skabio

• Archived User
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2003, 09:41:00 AM »

Thats great.  When I get home I will test it and post my results from my multitude of DVD's.

WiSo

• Archived User
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2003, 09:46:00 AM »

Thanks. But it's very slow at the moment and testing the decryption is enough.
There are still some bugs and I found a much better way to use the dvd library. Unfortunately the next time for developing is next week   sad.gif

rahula

• Archived User
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2003, 10:23:00 AM »

I was tryig new version this moring with " Basic" movie and it stopped at VOB 4 then wait for long time. So I wait since regular dvd ripping on PC took around 40 minutes for 6 G movie. Then it not copying anymore and I got media 2 check, not found and I have stuck in half way. How do I play back the file anyway? with XBMP?  ohmy.gif

ZWinFlame

• Archived User
« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2003, 05:24:00 PM »

Has any one else achieved faster extraction speeds. Mine does not seem to start.

skabio

• Archived User
« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2003, 05:44:00 AM »

Well a divx for one isnt the best quality plus you dont get all the bonus features that some movies have.  Also I have a DVD burner but I still choose to make my backups by putting my games on the xbox hard drive so its just logical to do the same with some dvds.  I never have to even take to time to switch movies/games I just have to turn on the xbox.  Its just a matter of convinince I guess.  To each his own.

skabio

• Archived User
« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2003, 08:08:00 AM »

Yea I can see how this could be slow at first but if you think about it its going to take longer normally anyway.  Afterall xbox games are usually 1.5-5.5GB per game but movies can be up to 9GB on one disk and most are at least over 5.  So its going to take some time.  I do hope that once the author gets some speed improvements they will implement a way for you to just put the movie on the hd because I already have space issues with my 120GB hard drive now not to mention when I put 3-4, 9GB movies on it.  Props to the author either way!

rahula

• Archived User
« Reply #11 on: July 11, 2003, 08:28:00 AM »

It's a great idea and good development. It will be much better a dvd file player is also included in the program. I would like to see this program function like dvd descriptor's ability to rip just the main movie, dvd2one's ability to shrink fit without losing too much quality, Ifoedit's ability to select the languages,subtitle of my choice, and powerDVD's ability to play anykinds of media file from HDD. I know it in developing stage but it has a good future. DVD2Xbox store file in the location I choose with dvd2xbox folder, it would be nice if the program can see and name the movie file by itself like PxHdd loader or I can type in the name of the dvd movie. I will post back more as I test along.   smile.gif

ChrisF

• Archived User
« Reply #12 on: July 11, 2003, 09:32:00 AM »

A lot of people seem to want it so it looks like a big step forward but I just don't think the people that are so excited about this understand the storage space requirements for a full space DVD library.  You are going to fill a 120gig drive in about 15 films leaving no space for applications or games.  If you have a favorite film or two I can understand it since it becomes portable and easy to call up but the xbox is limited in HDD size and I don't know that streaming is supported (in which case I don't know too many people with 500-800gigs for a movie collection on a server).

I have about 60 divx films on my 120gig right now plus 7 xbox games, 10 emulators, and thousands of roms.  I have about 50 gigs free.  Right now I'm in the process of encoding my DVD collection to divx - I stream most of them from my server upstairs.   Most divx rips are short of excellent quality because people are trying to get them to fit on a CD.  To get them down to 700MB (kazaa's favored size) they use reencoded audio and low bitrates which result in the quality loss.  You can specify your own quality through resolution and files size allowances.  I generally keep almost full resolution and original dolby digitall 5.1 sound.  So my rips are 1.1 gig for the equivalent 700MB rip.  I have plenty of storage on my server and xbox for that but I definitely don't have enough for 7 gig files and I don't know many people who do.  Tell me you guys are all going to take your games off the harddrive to make room for your movies?

big_b

• Archived User
« Reply #13 on: July 11, 2003, 11:45:00 AM »

i think it would be cool it they could compress them to fit on my hdd because i have a 120 gig and 40 gigs of games so that means i could fit 80 or so dvd and no more games haby i can do the p411 and put 2 120 gigs one for games and one for dvds

but is it possible to compress them on the xbox or will it be possible later

thankx
big_b

WiSo

• Archived User
« Reply #14 on: July 11, 2003, 12:01:00 PM »

biggrin.gif
I'll try to make it stable and a little faster and than let's look what comes next.
Pages: [1] 2 3