xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: 'cable Switch' And Blue Screen Of Death  (Read 54 times)

ryoaska

• Archived User
'cable Switch' And Blue Screen Of Death
« on: November 27, 2003, 12:58:00 PM »

I'm trying to make back up images of both of my xbox hd's before- because like an idiot, i didn't do this before and it almost caused me problems.  I believe i've got all the tools i need to do this- the only thing that's giving me trouble is the 'hot swap' or cable switch method i've heard discribed.  I've read on several sites that if you have windows xp, you can just plug the xbox hd in (after booting to the dash), and refresh your hardware devices in the control panel- then use the appropriate tools to edit files.  But when i plug the xbox hd- everything stops except mouse movement for a moment- then it goes to a blue screen of death, and tells me it's going to dump physical memory.  Has anyone else heard of this problem?  I appreciate any push in the right direction

thanks-

Tyree G.

DrWoogie

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2003, 02:04:00 PM »

Ok first off are you letting the XboX HDD unlock...Letting it sit for 10 min or so so the fade in screen saver comes on before you do the swap?Also how do you have your IDE cables set up?

ryoaska

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2003, 02:54:00 PM »

no- i wasn't doing that before, i didn't know you had to leave it on that long to unlock, all the tutorials i read just said to let it boot up to the dash.  I tried that a few times, but i still get the same error.  It's a kernel paging error ( kernel_inpage, i think- i'll check again).  I just have an ide cable going from ide1 first to my pc's hd, then the xbox hd piggy backed off that.  I tried taking off the jumper on the xbox hd a few times- to explicitly make it a slave, but that didn't help...

DrWoogie

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2003, 05:41:00 AM »

Shouldnt have to take any jumpers off.Make sure the xbox HDD is unlocked before you try to hot swap it.