xboxscene.org forums

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5

Author Topic: Xbit Install First Time Every Time  (Read 633 times)

kovar

• Archived User
Xbit Install First Time Every Time
« Reply #15 on: April 07, 2004, 07:11:00 PM »

Just wanted to say thanks.  The walkthrough is great.  Got everything working.  This post should be pinned!

Kovar

LargePig

• Archived User
« Reply #16 on: December 20, 2004, 07:22:00 AM »

Not been on for a long long time, just thought i would bump this for people still having problems with pogo pin on older xbox models. Maybe somebody with 1.5 or 1.6 knowledge could update it smile.gif I'm sure the information regarding cleaning the pins and flashing is still useful.

LargePig

• Archived User
« Reply #17 on: November 10, 2003, 07:35:00 AM »

Right i had troubles with mine so, here it is:

1) Get your xbit, some lighter fluid, some cotton buds, download the flashing software from DMS3, UNPLUG and crack open your xbox and remove the drives and ide cable there are tutorials here for this, find yourself a 256k M7 bios.

2) Crank up your pc, if you have windows xp and an NEC/Packard bell usb chipset, you could be in trouble..... Find another pc.

3) Snap off the xbit seal, hook up the black and yellow wires to both the main chip and the external board with the jumpers and usb port on it.

4) Hook up the usb cable to a usb port DIRECTLY ON YOUR PC, do not use a usb hub. Hook the cable to the port on the xbit. The green light should come on!

5) Load up the flashing software, click connect

6) Click format, it asks you if you're sure, you are.

7) Format the chip with configuration 4, it gives you one 1mb bios, one 512k bios and two 256k.

8) When done, pick bios 4, and click 'write', it will ask you for a file, find your M7 bios, it will be a .bin file.

9) Wait for a while, the green light on the xbit will turn OFF when you are flashing, the numbers on the software will tell you how far it's got. Do not put the window to the backgound. It does not crash the software, but you can't get focus back till it's done, and it takes a while!!

10) When done flashing, pick 'verify', again it will ask you to find the bios, find the same M7 bios file.

11) It will take a while again, but should tell you the flash matched the file. If no, the flash went bad, try again.

12) Unplug the xbit from the pc, and remove all the cables from the external board, leave the yellow and black attached to the xbit.

13) Get your lighter fluid and put some on the end of a cotton bud, enough to soak it but not so it's dripping off.

14) Clean all the pogo pins with the soaked cotton bud, including the spiked ones for d0 on the bottom of the xbit. Make sure you don't get any cotton stuck to the bottom of the spiked pins.

15) Get a new cotton bud and soak that one with lighter fluid.

16) Clean all the contact points on the xbox (not the whole board, just where the xbit goes!!!!) including d0. The lighter fluid will evaporate fast, so keep topping up the cotton but if it goes dry, also if the bud gets too dirty, use a clean one.

17) Get a very small flat head screwdriver, insert the corner of it INTO d0, and GENTLY rotate it 360 degrees. Then clean d0 again with a little lighter fluid and cotton bud. BE CAREFUL WITH THIS STEP, you could screw up you mobo, be gentle, you're warned!!!

18) Wait a while for the fluid to evaporate from the board, it needs to be completeley dry for the next step.

19) Pretty much follow the fitting tutorial here
But use these tips for correct alignment.
  a1) Poke the yellow and black cables through the vents in the xbox BEFORE you align the chip.
  a) Put spacer in place, put the chip roughly in place and put the screw in and screw it in just a little, just so you know it is going in right, and isn't cross threading, IT MUST GO IN STRAIGHT, this also holds the chip in place a bit for allignment.
  cool.gif Align d0 first, use a torch to make sure your spiked pin is contacting, it should sit IN d0 and you should be able to wiggle the chip a little while holding it down and the pin stay in d0. Screw down the chip farily tight, but not quite all the way.
  c) the edge of the chip should now be pretty much parallel to the egde of the xbox mainboard, if it isn't gently move the chip slightly, if you can't do this without the spiked pin coming out of d0, you most likeley have the pin in a hole other than d0. When happy with the position, screw it in the rest of the way, make sure the chip does not move easily, try gently to wiggle it, it shouldn't move.

20) You should now be fitted fine. Attach the yellow and black cables to the external board.

21) Set the jumpers like so: 1 on, 2 on, 3 off, 4 on

22) Turn on your xbox, it should boot as normal, (although you don't have your hd or dvd in so it will complain with an error 7 soon enough, the light on the xbit should be off, the chip is in stealth mode. Turn the xbox off.

23) Set the jumpers like so: 1 on, 2 on, 3 on, 4 off

24) Turn on your xbox, the xbit light should be green, it should go a little scatty at this point, you have an empty bios selected, it should re-boot twice, then stay on with a flashing green and red led.... good!! Turn it off.

25) Set the jumpers like so: 1 on, 2 on, 3 off, 4 off

26) Turn on the xbox, xbit light should be on and the box should boot seemingly as normal, appart from the error 7, your xbox needs a service crap. Turn off the xbox. You just booted your xbox using the M7 bios.

27) You're done, nearly, your xbit is aligned and working.

All you need to do now is unplug the wires from the external board, put all the drives back in, run the wires through the grate on the xbox case as you refit the case, then plug the external board back in with the yellow and black wires. Phew!

I hope this helps some people, it worked for me and i was having a bad time with it before. Good luck!!!!

LargePig

• Archived User
« Reply #18 on: November 10, 2003, 08:55:00 AM »

I have a 1.0, with the filled holes

LargePig

• Archived User
« Reply #19 on: November 10, 2003, 08:57:00 AM »

Oh, and this thread is completeley worthless on a 1.5, cause you have to solder some wires

joker81

• Archived User
« Reply #20 on: November 10, 2003, 09:04:00 AM »

i was able to flash the xbit with it connected to a usb hub.

LargePig

• Archived User
« Reply #21 on: November 10, 2003, 09:08:00 AM »

Does it boot with the chip switched off? And does the light come on when you have the chip turned on?

LargePig

• Archived User
« Reply #22 on: November 10, 2003, 09:09:00 AM »

joker81: I'm sure it's mostly fine, but i have heard of people having problems and it's probably safer to do it without the hub.

LargePig

• Archived User
« Reply #23 on: November 10, 2003, 09:12:00 AM »

xbitblues> Reading your other posts, seems like your xbit might be fried

LargePig

• Archived User
« Reply #24 on: November 10, 2003, 09:19:00 AM »

smile.gif
I know d0 can have a "Plastic covering" over it, this would give you a shoddy connection, even if you soldered i guess.
Do you get the green light on the external board when you have the chip turned on? If not, no power is getting to the chip.

xbitblues

• Archived User
« Reply #25 on: November 10, 2003, 09:21:00 AM »

Yep green light turns on.

LargePig

• Archived User
« Reply #26 on: November 10, 2003, 09:21:00 AM »

You could be right, but also a lot of the problems are down to bad connections due to flux on the contacts and the lubricant from the pogo pins.

xbitblues

• Archived User
« Reply #27 on: November 10, 2003, 09:22:00 AM »

Tried the solder too.

LargePig

• Archived User
« Reply #28 on: November 10, 2003, 09:25:00 AM »

When i was first installing mine, i got the green light on the chip, but the box would still frag when the chip was on, same as you. Then i managed to align it by moving it the smallest amount, it would work for a day, then i could ONLY use the xbox with the chip on, no good, i want xbox live! That's when i went through all the cleaning the pins crap, seems to be fine ever since, and i didn't have to move it about once, just bolt and go.

LargePig

• Archived User
« Reply #29 on: November 10, 2003, 09:26:00 AM »

Try sending the chip back for replacement i guess.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5