xboxscene.org forums

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: The End Of Ftping To Backup Games?  (Read 328 times)

icepik_69

• Archived User
The End Of Ftping To Backup Games?
« Reply #15 on: December 20, 2002, 08:10:00 PM »

Is there a way to just copy the contents from the DVDrom on the Xbox, directly to the Xbox's hard drive and play the games from there????

What is the point of sending files to a pc, burning to cd-rw, then copying them back to the xbox hdd? U should be able to just copy the files from the xbox cdrom to the xbox hard drive shouldnt you???

Ben999_

• Archived User
« Reply #16 on: December 21, 2002, 02:18:00 PM »

yes, boXplorer can do that. But why in the hell would you put the files onto a cd-rw to put it back on the hard drive? You can just ftp the files back to the correct place on the hard drive.

speedbump47

• Archived User
« Reply #17 on: December 22, 2002, 06:45:00 PM »

From my understanding of how this works:

1)  Original X-Box games are on a disc with a filesystem that PCs cannot read natively
2)  We use the OS on the X-Box, coupled with FTP to get the original files onto a PC hard drive.
3)  We burn the files onto a DVD-R (or CD-RW, etc.).  This is accomplished in more than one way:

a)  Burn the files as a UDF disc (readable in X-Box and Windows - and Mac I assume)
         b)  Burn an xISO, or similar program, image containing the files (resulting in a disc that has the original X-Box filesystem)

Doing it the first way means that you can read the files on your PC, using the second method means you wouldn't be able to.   What you can and can't do with the burned disc depends on how it was created.

People have differing opinions on which method to use.  UDF burnings, from what I gather, tend to take a bit longer to load and have a bit more disc thrashing involved.   Also, people claim that the games may not load reliably all the time.  ISO images have the added step of creating the image from the files, which may take up more space/time than people have.
Pages: 1 [2]