xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: About Video Mode Switching  (Read 88 times)

the joker

• Archived User
About Video Mode Switching
« on: December 01, 2004, 03:19:00 AM »

changing resolution is to change eeprom values. And I wouldn't have changed itunless you have methods of restoring eeprom if it gets broken.  

EEPROM is a serial 256 byte chip, and we let the BIOS do all the communications with it. That should make it as safe as possible - but it will never be 100% safe. All programs that changes video resolution has the same risk, so this is a general warning.

ferrari_rulz_02

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2004, 03:26:00 AM »

and be careful, if you write to the eeprom too many times, you can fry it. so be careful

the joker

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2004, 06:34:00 AM »

smile.gif   but MS refunds the broken ones - as long as it's not modded.

the joker

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2004, 07:13:00 AM »

softmod is *especially* dangerous, at least some chips like x3 has ways around the hosed eepom problems. Softmod takes really little to break down, be careful with these things.

Nisei

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2004, 02:12:00 PM »

OK now I'm getting really confused. This is what someone else told me:

It's my understanding that it switches the value in eprom only when selecting NTSC/PAL. So once you have mode selected with enigmah, that's it, I can't see it writing to eprom when switching resolutions, as this is what the US or Jap models would be doing potentialy a dozen or so times a week during normal use.

This seems to make sense to me 'cause I can't believe MS would enable HD support & the ability to switch resolutions if there would be a fairly big chance it would fry the EEPROM...